'06 Tacoma TSB Rear leaf replacementride quality?

smresq

Hi all,

First let me say that I'm a closet newbie, but I've spent many, many (enjoyable and educational) hours reading everything I could in all the different forums/topics here, and have done a lot of searching for this particular answer.

My dealer scheduled for next week after seeing that the suspension has hit the bumpstops the TSB rear leaf replacement for my '06 Access Cab PreRunner, Offroad version. I've read many posts regarding it, and I very much realize this is an Offroad forum, but the truck spends 90-95% of the time as a daily driver and I'm wondering what the quality of the ride will be after the leaf replacement. The dealer says it will be "harsh," and I've read many posts that say the truck will actually ride better. This is probably a subjective thing. I have a shell on it and maybe carry around 100 pounds most of the time and occassionally will load it up more.

Any first-hand opinions?

Thanks!
Sirius Satellite w/ mp3 input and Yaesu 7800 w/ external speaker
Daco Shell w/ slide opening side windows

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I had the TSB done about two months ago on my 07.

For me the ride is much smoother, not harsh at all. I was impressed with how much nicer the ride was on the road.

I do have a topper on, so maybe the little bit of weight helps keep the ride smooth.

From my experience, and because you carry some weight in the back, you should get a smoother ride on the road.

I have before and after pictures Here.

smresq

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the info and the pics.

Next qusetion I guess is, how is your roof rack installed? I've been starting to do some research b/c I would love to get some type of roof rack but I don't know how they're installed on a fiberglass topper without rain gutters. Does it just bolt throught the fiberglass? What type of mount is actually on the fiberglass to bolt the rack to?

Thanks, (and I love your truck and posts...)

Overland Hadley said:
I had the TSB done about two months ago on my 07.

For me the ride is much smoother, not harsh at all. I was impressed with how much nicer the ride was on the road.

I do have a topper on, so maybe the little bit of weight helps keep the ride smooth.

From my experience, and because you carry some weight in the back, you should get a smoother ride on the road.

I have before and after pictures Here.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
smresq said:
Thanks so much for the info and the pics.

Next qusetion I guess is, how is your roof rack installed? I've been starting to do some research b/c I would love to get some type of roof rack but I don't know how they're installed on a fiberglass topper without rain gutters. Does it just bolt throught the fiberglass? What type of mount is actually on the fiberglass to bolt the rack to?

Thanks, (and I love your truck and posts...)

Glad I could help.

On top of the LEER there are Thule Top Tracks (Link). The Top Tracks bolt through the roof of the topper. And then I am using the Thule Tracker Foot (Link).

IMO it works a lot better than adding gutters and using gutter feet. The weight is more evenly distributed across the roof of the topper, and they are a lot more solid than a gutter foot. With a gutter foot if you push the rack back and forth the feet move in the gutter, with this system the whole truck will move and the rack stays solid.

rovingowl

Observer
my experience with the tsb leaf pack is similair to overland-hadley's. it rides much nicer than the original 3 leaf and isn't harsh at all. my only complaint is that it still sags a bit when loaded.

i also have the same thule system on my leer cap and agree that it works quite well. i've heard conflicting numbers as to the load capacity, but then i don't like the idea of carrying heavy items that high.

Overland Hadley said:
Glad I could help.

On top of the LEER there are Thule Top Tracks (Link). The Top Tracks bolt through the roof of the topper. And then I am using the Thule Tracker Foot (Link).

IMO it works a lot better than adding gutters and using gutter feet. The weight is more evenly distributed across the roof of the topper, and they are a lot more solid than a gutter foot. With a gutter foot if you push the rack back and forth the feet move in the gutter, with this system the whole truck will move and the rack stays solid.

I have the same thing installed on my Leer and it works great. The Tracker II feet are very solid and are easily removed if needed. You can even slide the bars to different positions on your topper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy