06 Tundra: Proceed with build or move on?

ncwheelin07

Novice question from a long time lurker... hoping to tap into the expertise of the community.

I have a 2006 DC 4x4 with 234k miles. I bought it about 4 yrs ago @ 190k miles & did a very modest build with a camper shell and some shelving for sleeping/camping. Clean, well maintained truck that otherwise runs extremely well. Lives in NC now but used to be in MD. Been mainly DD with very moderate camping usage. I was thinking I'd like to build it out some more to use with my son before he heads to college. I'd like to get another 5-6 years out of it, 3-4 of those would be with the son as his college vehicle.

There are two areas of rust/delamination that I'm worried about, both on a supporting piece that is attached to the frame. This piece extends from just over the attach point for the rear leaf spring forward under a cross member. Don't know the name of it and couldn't identify it in the Toyota parts manual. Pics attached. I've inspected as much of the rest of frame as possible and I don't see any other areas of major concern. I haven't gone anywhere yet to ask advice on remediation. It's been dealer serviced while I've owned it, will seek their input also.

Given the frame rust issues with Tundra's of this vintage I'm wondering if make sense to continue to improve this rig or if it's time to move on. Thanks in advance for any advice.

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

tennesseewj

Observer
Looks like a fairly small area. I'd get a qoute to repair it and keep rolling if you're happy with everything else

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Cut that section out and weld (or pay a welder) a replacement section in. That's what I did for my 2003 Tundra

bodyworks

My Tacoma is currently at the dealership getting the frame replaced. I believe the rust recall ends January. Better take it in soon.

trailscape

Explorer
Probably is. Take it in anyway... there are still tons of new/used frames in the back lot of my local Toyota dealer... never hurts to ask

This..

Just went in for an oil change in NH. Wandering around I saw a large pile of brand new and old rusted frames behind the shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

smokeysevin

Re-redoing things the third time
The Tacoma and Tundra recalls are different timelines. I was under the impression that the Tundra recall was over as well.

Sean

ncwheelin07

Thanks to all for the feedback provided. I went to the dealer I use most often for service and asked for a frame inspection. Their answer was nothing to worry about, its surface rust. When it comes down to it, I don't trust that answer. My plan now is to use POR ... but also get it to another dealer for second opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3