101 Forward Control tranny

frans

Adventurer
I am seeking some info on this. The 101 ForwardControl had/has a tranny named:
LT95?

Does anyone have any information on this tranny? Is it stout? can I get parts? What kind of gearing is it? Etc.

Thank you

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
frans said:
LT95?

Does anyone have any information on this tranny? Is it stout? can I get parts? What kind of gearing is it? Etc.

Thank you
101FC is a Land Rover. You might get more responses posting it in the Land Rover section.:ylsmoke:

TeriAnn

Explorer
frans said:
LT95?

Thank you

I just happened to see this listed as the newest posting. Otherwise I would never have seen this misplaced posting.

When Land Rover needed a stronger gearbox for their new Range Rover and the 101 V8s they developed the LT95. During this time Rover was part of British Leyland so the LT stands for Leyland Transmission. "95" stands for the distance between the main and lay shafts in mm.

The LT 95 was a robust four speed gearbox with the transfer case built into the same enclosure (but they have different fluid reservoirs). One of the nice things about the LT95 was that there were a number of transfer case ratios available and you did not need to pull the box to change them. The bad thing is that it is a four speed gearbox and Rover decided that they needed a fifth gear for highway driving. The gearbox was used on Range Rover through 1983 as well as all 109 Stage 1 V8, all 101 and on 1983 and 1984 V8 Nineties and One Tens.

For gear ratios check this web page: http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/gear_ratio.htm#earlycoiler

greenmeanie

Adventurer
You should be aware that the 101 LT95 is different from the unit used in the early RR or 110 V8s. The biggest difference is the bell housing and input shaft are shorter and the high ratio gear is pretty tall so, unless you're running big rubber you'll wind out pretty quickly. The gear on the top of the box is a stubby little thing as the 101 has a remote gear linkage. If yo're putting it in a conventional truck you'd need to either modify it or source the gear lever from an early RR or 110 V8.

The good news, as TeriAnn pointed out is that other gear ratios are available. I run a set of .9962 gears in my 101 which means you can use 1st on the road. Swapping in new gears can be done under the truck but it really requires three hands. The gearbox is all synchromesh while the transfer box requires you to stop and then roll gently forward unless you want to hear some expensive noises.

If you need more gears there is an overdrive available whichmany owners fit. Parts for it are pretty difficult to come by and 101's are notorious for eating them. Just be careful about what you mate it up to engine wise and you should be good.

This gearbox uses 20/50 engine oil for both the gearbox and transfer case. This is apparently because it has it's own oil pump lubing the gearbox. A comon mistake leading to early demise is running 90wt.

Other things to be aware of are that it has a central diff so it powers both axles all the time. You'll need CV half shafts in the front axle. The center diff is lockable using a vaccuum actuator so you'd need a line off the intake. Replacing the diff is expensive so make sure it's good.

Finally, if it is a 101 gearbox it may have a PTO on the bottom of the transfer case with the output shaft exiting on the lh side. This was to provide drive to the Nokken winch which is a petty spiffy piece of kit that is unique to the 101. If it has one of these it will be pretty useless on any other vehicle but you can make a bit of money selling it to the 101 crowd

About the only weakness is the thrust washers in the transfer case can wear pretty quickly. The good news is that if you encounter this Nick Kay in the UK has a kit that adresses it. Oh and it is HEAVY.

On a 101 the gear ratios are:
Hi transfer: 1.174:1
Lo transfer: 3.321:1

Gearbox
1st: 4.06:1
2nd: 2.44:1
3rd: 1.50:1
4th: 1:1
Reverse: 3.66:1

That's about it. As others have said, a 101 is a Land Rover. We are an odd crowd but that doesn't mean that we can't be part of the family over on the LR board.

Cheers
Gregor

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3