109 Expedition rig build

Mercedesrover

Explorer
TeriAnn said:
Jim, your work is lovely but I personally would worry about your seat box electrical layout. Everything is a compromise and where you intend to drive, where you have driven and their environmental conditions influence how we decide to make the compromises that we do.

I have been in situations several times where water would be flowing into the box through your wire openings. Where Land Rovers that had electrics down that low had to be towed out of rivers, once in numbers that might exceed the daily catch limit. All because electrics needed to keep the engine running were submerged.

The wiring openings in your seatbox don't appear to be water tight and there is no water protection in your fuse box or relays. If any of those connections are required to keep the diesel running I worry that you might find your Rover dead in the water.

Maybe I just worry too much but I've learned to keep my electrics at distributor/instrument panel heights. I realize diesels with mechanical injection change the dynamics, but your layout still gives me pause.

It is lovely work though.

Actually, they are Hubbell liquid-tight fittings and shouldn't allow any water in.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5D883

Of course, this box will fill up with water if I'm deep enough for it to come over the edge. (Though I could make a water-tight lid for it, I suppose.) But in actuality, there are a few reasons that having the electrics here don't bother me.

1) The Benz diesel requires no electricity at all to run. You can wrap a chain around all this stuff and rip it out and the truck will continue to run. In fact, there doesn't need to be a single wire run to the engine at all. Pop-start it and we can do without a battery too.

2) This truck will probably never see three feet of water anyway. I mean really, who's does? (Except those knuckleheads on your Border To Border trip! :))

3) This stuff can get wet anyway. Sure, it might mess the relays up a bit (and I'll carry spares anyway) but the rest of the stuff can be submerged without damage.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Mercedesrover said:
2) This truck will probably never see three feet of water anyway. I mean really, who's does? (Except those knuckleheads on your Border To Border trip! :))

Hey! I do all of the time. Just about every trail up here crosses a river or creek of some kind, and they're usually that deep or deeper.

I'm considering putting my battery where you did, but TeriAnn's comments kind of mirror my own thoughts. I'll have to see how the underhood space goes and if I can squeeze an Optima in there somewhere. I've also considered a marine battery box in the tub or under the seat, but it's another issue that hasn't completely resolved itself.

Adventurer
Jim,

Your project is an inspiration! Fantastic work!! I can only hope my patience is great enough to be able to pay as much attention to detail as you have. (I must admit I am getting a bit antsy about not having a truck or not going wheelin these last few months)

TeriAnn

Explorer
Mercedesrover said:

Ah, you mean Simon leading a large group of Land Rovers up river in a canyon during a rain? :yikes:

Thankfully there was a 101 there to make repeated trips hauling disabled coilers and the one Series rig that had sunk when the driver misjudged a crossing point.

The deepest I willingly go is half way up the seat box on a relatively flat surface. Thankfully I decent at reading the water and not afraid to go wading if I think the depth might be a bit much.

Water proof connectors make a lot more sense where you used them. Thanks for the link.

I hope you get that truck to the National meet in Moab. I really would like the opportunity to look it over in person.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
TeriAnn said:
Ah, you mean Simon leading a large group of Land Rovers up river in a canyon during a rain? :yikes:

Thankfully there was a 101 there to make repeated trips hauling disabled coilers and the one Series rig that had sunk when the driver misjudged a crossing point.

The deepest I willingly go is half way up the seat box on a relatively flat surface. Thankfully I decent at reading the water and not afraid to go wading if I think the depth might be a bit much.

Water proof connectors make a lot more sense where you used them. Thanks for the link.

I hope you get that truck to the National meet in Moab. I really would like the opportunity to look it over in person.

I did two trips with B2B and planned a third, and really, can't say too much bad about Simon. Time heals wounds. And though I never met Rose, I became quite fond of her while planning B2B '01

And no, living in the suburbs of Toronto doesn't give one the best experience with dry creek beds and thunder clouds to the north. Live and learn.

This National meet keeps coming up. September, eh? Going to the North Maine woods for a week at the end of the month, Alaska in July, northern Ontario for a week after that. No, TeriAnn, No. I can't make it! (I don't think....) I really want to take this truck to Newfoundland and Labrador next year, but who knows......

DCH109

Adventurer
Alaska Mike said:
Hey! I do all of the time. Just about every trail up here crosses a river or creek of some kind, and they're usually that deep or deeper.

I'm considering putting my battery where you did, but TeriAnn's comments kind of mirror my own thoughts. I'll have to see how the underhood space goes and if I can squeeze an Optima in there somewhere. I've also considered a marine battery box in the tub or under the seat, but it's another issue that hasn't completely resolved itself.

Have a look at the military Battery box. (my FFR had one)
You lose the middle seat as the battery cover takes its place, but the batteries would site high enough. If you utilize the second battery compartment for the wiring and so forth, this will put the fuses and relays at about the same level as you when your sitting in the Rover. Myself i would think that would be high enough. That is unless you plan to have water up to your ********.
Another option is to encase the important parts into something like an otter box or pelican case. and seal the connections in and out.

Jim does have a point on the MB diesel (an others of similar style) once you get them running they are hard to stop. The MB actually has a lever on the engine for an emergence stop if needed (think it says Push to Stop or something similar in red).
That will be my main issue on the Gas engine. I will have to make sure it is waterproof. as much as possible.

Like those connectors Jim, Thanks for the link. i will have to pick up a couple when i am at that point.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
DCH109 said:
Have a look at the military Battery box. (my FFR had one)
You lose the middle seat as the battery cover takes its place, but the batteries would site high enough. If you utilize the second battery compartment for the wiring and so forth, this will put the fuses and relays at about the same level as you when your sitting in the Rover. Myself i would think that would be high enough. That is unless you plan to have water up to your ********.
While I don't plan to have water that high... well, it happens. That battery box sounds interesting. Do you have a link or picture? The middle seat is of limited utility for me anyway.

DCH109

Adventurer
Alaska Mike said:
While I don't plan to have water that high... well, it happens. That battery box sounds interesting. Do you have a link or picture? The middle seat is of limited utility for me anyway.

Let me get it tonight. I never took a shot of it, before i took it apart. The picture will just be the seat box with the battery box in it. and then one with the cover. but you will get the idea. i will shoot it off when i get home.

TeriAnn

Explorer
Alaska Mike said:
I'm considering putting my battery where you did, but TeriAnn's comments kind of mirror my own thoughts.

The location Jim is using is a stock LR mounting location for some diesels & 6 cylinder versions.

It has been my observation that car batteries don't seem to mind being submerged briefly. Mine has certainly been underwater numerous times and is still doing its battery thing.

With a V8 and 2 front fuel tanks I don't have many places to put a battery.

I found a real short diesel battery with posts recessed in the top corners and mounted it under the passenger side floorboard between the front fuel tank outrigger and the bulkhead support outrigger.

The battery is the same height as the 109 frame so it does not stick down below frame level. I had a galvanized box built and glued a rubber mat to the underside of the floor board. That battery is on its seventh year and has been submerged several times.

battBox.jpg

This is the battery box. The top flanges sit on top of frame rails.

BattboxSide.jpg

Installed battery box. You can see that the long frame member sits below the bottom of the box as does the bottom front edge of the front fuel tank. The inside front horizontal section of the bulkhead cross member is about the same depth to just very slightly lower than the battery box. Yes there are holes in the bottom corners to let the water out.

The battery is a tight fit inside the box. Not a standard location but I was very low on placement options and it keeps cables short.

DCH109

Adventurer
Here is he battery box this is in my 109

P1010349.jpg

P1010350.jpg

Cover on
P1010352.jpg

And a side view.
P1010355.jpg

The Dirt and undercoating will get removed and i will take it to the Galvanizes when i do the frame. The box it heavy for it size. It does not have any drain holes, and does not seem to leak. Just very dirty and has some oil on it.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Sorry for the hijack, but this was what I was looking for. I wonder who has these? I could certainly fab one up if they aren't commonly available. Looks like a good place for electronics.

TeriAnn

Explorer
Alaska Mike said:
Sorry for the hijack, but this was what I was looking for. I wonder who has these? I could certainly fab one up if they aren't commonly available. Looks like a good place for electronics.

You will probably have to fabricate one. The drop box shown was part of some Military Land Rover specification. I've never seen it in a civilian Land Rover and only a few military ones. There is a different version that was an option for civilian LRs that have a step down towards the back for greater storage capacity. It is not suitable as a battery rest.

P.A Blanchards are most likely to have one for sale, but by the time you convert to pounds & pay shipping it likely will be much cheaper to have one bent up at home.

I have a civilian drop box and a centre counsel instead of a centre seat. Its a great place to store things you want to keep handy whilst driving.

TeriAnn

Explorer
01001010 said:
Aww man!

So am I suppose to have a drop box here?...

Only if you want one. My guess is around 90% of them have no box there, just a sheet of birmabright that can slide forward to allow you to do work on the transfercase area. I have a dip stick on my transfercase so I can check oil level & top up without leaving the driver's seat. I also rigged a dip stick for the gearbox (T-18) so I can check it seated as well. I got tired crawling under in icy mud each morning just to check fluids.

Birmabright is the Aluminum alloy Land Rover used to build Series rigs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3