'12 4runner 37x16.5 Hummer wheels +MTR tires +Icon stage 3 +extreme fender trimming?

AxleIke

Adventurer
If you keep the front CV's at reasonable angles, and go with the RCV's, you should be okay up there. The front wheel bearings should be fine too. Steering, maybe more of a problem. The biggest thing to keeping the front end alive will be to keep off the gas and make sure you aren't trying to hammer down while climbing/descending with the wheels fully turned

The one area that you need to consider is the rear wheel wells. Yes, there are Taco's running 37's, HOWEVER, a Taco bed is about 1000 times easier to trim out than the 4runner because of the wheel base difference/no cabin to worry about compromising. You may need to trim into the door, for example. The other alternative is to bumpstop the axle to keep the tire from coming up too high, but that will limit your travel.

I'm not saying it'll be impossible, but it could involve lots of work/body shop time.

bkg

Explorer
my only drawing force to the 37's are the abundance of 75-100 dollar surplus MTR hummer tires I have locally that are like new plus having the ground clearance these tires will offer would be nice.

Building an expensive truck with expensive suspension to run a cheap consumable product makes no sense.

v_man

Explorer
Building an expensive truck with expensive suspension to run a cheap consumable product makes no sense.

Nailed it ! good point :ylsmoke: I still wanna see this 'Runner chopped up , bro'd out , and creaking down the trail someday...

paranoid56

Adventurer

why not? tires are a consumable. having 37mtrs on my fj40 i have also thought about it. but the only bad part is the buying of the 16.5 wheels. however, OP, you might have better luck over on pirate4x4 they do more hardcore type of things there :D

AxleIke

Adventurer
They are actually really good tires, especially for an offroad rig. I'd buy a set if I had a rig that needed big tires. They are military take offs that are tough, great tread, and you can get them with 95% original tread depth. They come on the Humvee's and IIRC, TWF only sells the good ones (no cuts, patches, etc...).

If you can stomach the 16.5, this is an AWESOME option

austintaco

Explorer
I think you would be better off with less of a tire. You can have the 37's, but the entire tire/rim package will make your bang for the buck diminish. It's like all those articles on answering the question of "what size tire can I fit on.....? You can probably get them looking great for a photo shoot, but your reliability on the trail and as a daily driver go out the window. Then you have a $60K vehicle that nobody wants, including you. Drop down a size, find the right offset to minimize handling issues and trimming, and you will be happier. My opinion.

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
Seems like too big unless regear. each tire/rim combo is what? on stock axles? to mall crawl or trail? kinda like J-lo butt on my wife, sure it would look good, but what if she dies from a heart attack dueto my efforts. :ylsmoke:

Arktikos

Explorer
Sounds like the ruination of a perfectly good truck. The resale value would basically vanish instantly. But what the heck, if it floats your boat then go for it.:)

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
Interesting at least. Would this be consider an expo rig or a trailer to location rig? Could you make it a vehicle you would want to trust to drive clear up into Alaska and back to the states? Steering racks on the toyota's won't handle the abuse of 37's very long, unless you never run your tires deflated and don't have heavy turning situations. It sounds like an interesting project but.......

Cam-shaft

haddix

Adventurer
Do everything you plan on doing(suspension,regear) but go with 35's. Will be much more manageable on the trail and DD'ing and I think you will be happier all around. The effort it will take the fit 37's on a 5th gen just isn't worth it IMO.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Im thinking a 2" lift and minor trimming should give you plenty of clearance. Please post pics.

I'd agree if it were an older truck, but (and maybe I'm wrong here) on a '12 I'm just picturing a lot of tire contact and suspension/body-mount/fender-well interference unless he did more "major" trimming and maybe some other stuff...

I'd say you'll really need to watch the width of tire and the BS/Off-set of the rims. I would however worry about the front-diff maybe (maybe not, I really don't know a ton about the 5th Gens compared to the older, or even the 4th Gen trucks) and it sounds like you've already identified the body-mounts as potential issues. Hopefully they won't be prohibitive in getting the big meats to turn/stuff when needed. Like you say, it's a WHOLE different ball-game then a 1st Gen, that's for sure. I'd be curious to see how the KDSS reacts to all that un-sprung weight and if it puts more stress on the special shocks (is the KDSS system like the X-reas system, is it cross-linked???) or even caused some sort of computer monitoring issue thinking that something was "off" because of the stock trucks parameters, but again, I have NO experience trying something like this to back that up. It's just a curiosity with not ever having used that KDSS system or played around with it.

Keeping it low sounds like a great plan and if the brakes can handle it and you can gear it right (like 4.88's or 5.29's), it could turn out really cool even if it's "too big" for some tastes. Yeah it's got the "Bro Dozer" potential, and it's not your typical "overland" set-up, but it could also turn out really cool. Until I see it I'm not gonna assume anything. If that's what you're after, I'd certainly love to see you try and make it work, and not because I like to see others struggle, but cause I think it'd be neat to see something different that I've not seen done to a 5th Gen before.

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk