180DayRoadTrip.com (Alaska or Bust in this fully customized Jeep-JK)

HRPINDC

Adventurer
You need a build section in the blog so we can learn about the Jeep. It looks great. Have a fantastic journey!

Jurfie

Adventurer
They've already left! Check out their blog; I've bookmarked IT so I can live vicariously...:smiley_drive:

BAMF-JK

Our BAMF-JK Build (some specs)!

Thank you to all who responded! I promise to post more photos & videos. We are 7 days into our 180 days (now in Grand Canyon) and having a blast. For those who wanted to know about the rig (what we affectionally call the BAMF - let's just say the first two letters stand for Bad ***...), here are a few more details...

Exterior Custom Work:
- Ursa Minor pop-up camper with integrated LED lights & power supply (f'in rocks)
- AEV 2.5" lift
- 35" Duratrac tires with AEV rims
- AEV front bumper with Warn 10,000k winch
- AEV rear bumper with 5 gallon integrated water storage and 10 gallon fuel caddy
- AEV snorkel
- Helton hot water shower heat exchanger installed under hood
- AEV heat-venting hood
- VisionX 50k lumen light bar
- Baja Designs 15,000 lumen Squadron XL Pro (A-pillar mount)
- Lifetime LED 14,000 lumen bi-color 33" light bar
- Adventure Trailor exterior mount propane
- Spyder fender flares, rockers, and full under-carriage protection
- Side & back awnings with full zip-in privacy screens
- Fox 2.0 ATS front stabilizer
- Genesis duel battery system
- Snow camo vinyl wrap (just because)

Interior Custom Work:
- Kenwood 200W TS-480 Ham radio with auto-adjusting tarjee antenna
- DOD dash-mounted high def camera (hard wired)
- Ramshead (Santa Rosa, CA) ultra plush sheep skin seat covers (color matched)
- S-Pod switch circuit for lights & accessories
- Rear view mirror with integrated back-up camera
- Full LED interior light conversion
- Rear seats removed; custom-built platform with storage and tie-downs (for our 180 day trip!)
- Ram mounts for iPad mini and accessories
- National Luna fridge/freezer combo with integrated slide-out
- Partners Metal 2-burner propane stove with integrated slide-out
- 2 Truck Vault security boxes
- Tuffy under-seat locking storage compartment & hood lock system

Needless to say, we're loving the rig and all the people who stop to comment along the way. Full video coming soon. We've still got a long way to go to get to Alaska!

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Awesome! Yes, please get a video up soon. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the UMV J30 camper, as I have one on order right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Very nice.

Hit me up when you get to Whitehorse, Yukon. I drove my TJ from Prudhoe Bay to Tierra Del Fuego, and I'm building a JK now for bigger adventures :)
I have a lot of suggestions for places to go in Yukon and Alaska, I've been all over.

All the best, have fun,
-Dan

BAMF-JK

TenaciousTJ: we love the camper! Honestly, I've never slept better. The walls are not insulated, so you'll still need a warm sleeping bag in cold weather, but it comfortably sleeps 2 people. You can't have much weight on a roof rack because it will make it difficult to push up the camper. But we are VERY pleased with it and would definitely recommend it to others!

BCobe

Adventurer
Kind of an off the wall question but how does the quality of the Lifetime LED bar stack up against the Baja Designs and the Vision X? Not trying to start a light debate but seeing as you have these products and use them quite often I figured you would have some great information on them!

BAMF-JK

We will totally be hitting you up for ideas! We'll get to Alaska in mid-June and definitely plan to spend time in the Yukon. Would really love your recommendations - thank you!

BAMF-JK

BCobe: for those of us who want to turn night into day, the only way to achieve that is through big light bars, and my go-to choice has been the VisionX 50" bar that puts out 50,000 lumens (contact Rick at 1-800-764-0926 at VisionX Wholesale. Tell him Martin sent you). I've worked with Rick on many lighting options and have been super happy with the service and quality of the lights. But with quality, you pay a higher price, and the VisionX 50" light bar is not cheap.

I've had many Baja Designs light bars as well, which also put out high lumens and they have an excellent, low-profile light bar if you need to fit it in a tight space. The ones we're running on the BAMF are the Squadron XL Pros that have a flood-spot beam and includes a replacement lens to change it into either all-spot of all-flood. If I were to run these lights only on the Jeep, it would be plenty of lighting to navigate off-road trails with no other lighting on. They are bright and cast a far beam, but if used in conjunction with a higher-output light bar, then the output won't be as noticeable. And they look really cool mounted on the A-Pillar!

Lifetime LED - this is my first experience with this light bar. If you're on a budget, these are the bars to get. It has an OK output but the main reason I bought the 33" bar is because it has a switchable amber/white light output. At $330, having a switchable light, you can't beat the price. As for distance, I have the spot beam and it illuminates the trail immediately in front of you for driving, but for turning "night into day", I would still recommend VisionX.

Hope this is helpful to you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk