1947 Teardrop: How do I get more clearance for dirt roads?

Sleam

Explorer
Hey folks, I"m new to trailers but am getting a 1947 Teardrop and want to take it with me into bear country! I camp in the mountains around NM/ CO and AZ mostly and the truck is too small for me and three dogs for more than a few days at a time. I mostly drive unpaved 2WD roads, NF ones, and find dispersed campsites. The tires are small and old so I need to replace them anyways, they are 175/80/13s I think. Can I get taller ones? Or All Terrain ones? Or is there some kind of lift I can add to the axle set up? Any suggestions or links or photos would be great - thanks!

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
How is the current axle attached? Your options range from bigger tires to spacers between the axle and the leaf springs to replacing the axle with a new one. Pictures would help.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Simplest way to gain more clearance is to switch from sprung under to sprung over. Changing the leaf spring from being attached under the axle to being attached above the axle. If the Teardrop is in good shape I wouldn't mess with it, it could be a collectors piece. Post pictures so we can get a better idea. Take pictures of your current axle and spring set up.

Sleam

Explorer
Shall do but the camera broke last week but I will post what I can as soon as possible. Maybe I'll get my neighbor over this weekend and upload some. Thanks for the quick responses though,
s

Sleam

Explorer
Okay, so after checking it out more, this 1947 needed more work than I could face but I'm looking around for another. I'll let you know if I find anything, thanks for helping.

gbohnstedt

Sarah,

Have you been to Tnttt.com? It is the biggest collection of teardrop builders on the internet. I built my teardrop with help from that group; an amazingly helpful bunch.

Sleam

Explorer
Sarah,

Have you been to Tnttt.com? It is the biggest collection of teardrop builders on the internet. I built my teardrop with help from that group; an amazingly helpful bunch.
Thanks, I'll check it out right now! I'm excited by this, and the dogs love the small campers so I think this is a good fit for me.
s

dales133

Observer
Imho I wouldn't be altering something that old as its a rarity and worth far more unmolested.
I hang out on tnttt and the previous posters quite correct great site with mobs of help.
Build something from scratch it isn't that hard.
Here's mine all be it unfinished but built with stacks of ground clearance.
bf61c79de866e2924ecc98093d059e9b.jpg
50518f475c6c1bff997aa2fd18ac3016.jpg
cd441fcc60394fccdc0c992810222742.jpg

Sleam

Explorer
Sorry second pic wasn't ment to be there it's a bit of a mess!

Those are great photos though, thanks for the ideas. I'll let you know what I end up doing. I'm back and forth, which vehicle, how to set myself up, stuff like that, but the process is part of the enjoyment for me!
s

Sleam

Explorer
Sorry second pic wasn't ment to be there it's a bit of a mess!

Just got back to this thread! Thanks for the photos. Yes, that looks great, I'll go to the tnntt website and join up for info. I was just offered another 1947 Teardrop, a Tourettes. It's in great condition, just needs minor details that I could see. The tires are 16" and has good clearance. I'll have to get someone over to check out suspension, it's leaf sprung on a square axel.
I had my smartphone but not yet worked out how to get photos from there to here. I'll see what I can do about that.
The couple are moving and offered it to me half their original price, remembering I'd called once in spring. I'm pretty excited...:)

Sleam

Explorer
Would it be worth taking to a leaf spring company for new ones to lift it a little? It's actually got good clearance but I thought it'd be a smoother ride if the springs were newer. First things first, get it home! I'll post photos when i can.
s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333