1973 Wagoneer - Full Size Camping Goodness

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
As you mentioned, many people have issues with hot fuel in carbs.

I had already done a few things to mitigate the issue, number one being a 1" phenolic spacer under the carb.

number two being re-routing some fuel lines.

number 3 being replacing the tank with the OEM unit (away from the exhaust) and hooking up the vent lines correctly to the vapor canister and whatnot.

Unfortunately, in 73 they didnt come rigged for a fuel return line from the filter at the carb, which keeps fuel cooler by allowing it to constantly circulate. That may or may not get installed eventually, if/when i drop the tank again (I'd have to install a fitting in the tank, thats the only real issue).

So, one supposedly major contributor is the fact that these old 360's have a mechanical fuel pump mounted on the motor. This not only requires you to run lines close to the motor, but also the pump itself gets warm. ALSO, a mechanical pump is a puller, not a pusher. It sucks the fuel from the tank and then only has to push the fuel about 2' up to the carb. This applies a vacuum to the fuel, lowering the pressure ever so slightly, but also decreases the boiling point, and allows the fuel to heat up faster. Plus you have the issue of hard starts when the truck is warm because you need to crank the engine to prim the carb after fuel may have boiled off from sitting.

Well, sounds like there is a good solution to this!
466870_833557392378_909484348_o.jpg

Delivered to my door in less than 2 days! Thank you, Summit Racing! (shameless plug for a great company with great service!)

Holley red baby! 20' of braided stainless steel 3/8" fuel line! Aluminum fittings! Mechanical pump block off for chevy style pumps! Relay plug/wire kit. Oh and a High Life....yum!

Advantages to an electric pump:

Electric pumps are pushers. Mounted as close to the tank as possible, it will push (read: pressurize....i'm not talking about anything above a few PSI) cool fuel from the tank all the way up to the carb.
Primes the carb when I turn the key, not when I start the engine.
Its loud as hell so I can tell its running, and I can hear what it's doing (may not be an advantage but why focus on the bad?)
Allows avoidance of the heat of the engine by circumventing the mechanical pump and allowing you to route the lines where ever the heck you want.

So the old lines ran along the frame, crossed over to the engine at the front just behind the power steering pump, up through the fuel pump, then across the top of the timing cover over the valve covers, then around the back of the carb (right on top of the intake manifold). hot hot hot!

So, i mounted the pump up out of the way on the rear crossmember, just behind the tank. this is about 24" away from the fitting for the fuel pickup on the top of the tank. The closer you can get it, the better. Technically you're supposed to try and mount the electric pump below the lowest point of the tank, in the event that it loses prime it will always have gravity to feed it. Well, that doesnt work on a 4wd like this, because the gas tank itself is one of the lowest points on the truck, im not about to put my fuel pump lower and in harms way.

I could have placed it at the front of the tank, a little lower, but this put it further away from the tank, thus increasing the risk of losing prime, but there wasn't really anywhere I could fit this holley up there.

Also looked at mounting it on the outside of the frame, up under my rockers. But.....it just didnt sound smart to me to have fuel lines and wiring for a pump running along the outside of my frame...in an area constantly wacked by bushes and branches and potentially rocks and other hard items.

So, up above the rear axle it went.
2012-04-14_10-25-38_503.jpg

2012-04-14_19-12-43_930.jpg

i ran the braided line along the same route through the frame as the original lines, but insted of going up to the front of the motor, i pulled it up the firewall, next to the tranny hump, mounted it along the top of the firewall near the cowl to cross over the engine, and then finally broke away from the firewall for about 18" to reach the carb.

2012-04-14_19-11-26_858.jpg

now that I was running a rear fuel filter as well i wasnt as worried about the servicable filter in the front, plus i know how to work them now to make sure they aren't loose haha. I wanted a filter that I could visually inspect, and see if fuel was moving through. Its nice to have a window into your fuel system sometimes.

After installing and wiring the pump I also tried to clean up my other accessory wiring a bit, installed some circuit breakers rather than running to the battery, and also ran everything that was crossing the firewall in split loom (you can see it in this pic running off towards the carb). I need to cover or enclose the circuit breakers eventually. I've seen some neat stuff done with little pelican cases that are water tight, and may get there eventually.
2012-04-14_19-10-58_291.jpg

88Xj

Banned
Man what are some common issues with these old wags? They sure are awsome and 75 or older = no smog right? At least in cali. Which means diesel swap is possible. Theres a old 65 out here for sale currently with a 44/60 in it.

EDIT: NVM just called again and it sold for 650:( Running but trans was shot I guess!
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3168945972.html

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Great thread...

Do you carry a spare electric fuel pump? While it is still a simple carbureted engine and you could probably rig a gravity feed system to get you home, I am still REALLY on the fence about using an electric primary fuel pump. I'm scared of technology however so don't mind me....

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Man what are some common issues with these old wags? They sure are awsome and 75 or older = no smog right? At least in cali. Which means diesel swap is possible. Theres a old 65 out here for sale currently with a 44/60 in it.

Uh, RUST, electrical gremlins, vapor lock, fluid leaks, RUST, low oil pressure, RUST, saggy springs.... Those are some issues I see a lot over on IFSJA. They really arent any different than any 40 year old vehicle. The 360 is a strong and durable engine, turbo400 and TF727 are both strong trannys, D44's are good enough as long as you dont go too big on the tires, etc. etc.

I have no idea about smog in cali. Mine is a 73, and had a cali engine (it was red) and had smog stuff all over it. Here in stupid clark county, its 1967. Yes. 1967. We have to smog our freakin 1969 nova too EVERY YEAR.

Well, not anymore. I got tired of paying for smog check or paying a mechanic for an hour to fiddle with my carb, and got classic vehicle plates. I'm technically limited to 5000 miles a year if i want to stay smog exempt....good thing my speedo/odo are off by 18% haha. Oh and another common issue is the speedo cable coming off for long trips....it just slips off....or maybe thats only on vehicles with mileage limits? ha.

Great thread...

Do you carry a spare electric fuel pump? While it is still a simple carbureted engine and you could probably rig a gravity feed system to get you home, I am still REALLY on the fence about using an electric primary fuel pump. I'm scared of technology however so don't mind me....

I do not but its on the list, and thank you for reminding me. I'm told a common practice is to just pick up an auto-parts store cheapie unit to get you through in a pinch if the holly ever bit the dust.

I'd say an e-pump is just as reliable as a mechanical. Hell, mechanical pumps give out all the time....they still pump fuel but the diaphragm blows out after getting old. I'd rather have a fuel pump die and need to find an alternate way to get fuel to the carb than have my crank case get full of gas.....wanna kill your engine in short order? haha.

So, thanks for the reminder, thats another item that'll go in the trail box. I'll also pick up an extra duraspark module or two. I learned how to burn one of those out my leaving my key in the 'run' position for a week. New battery and new ignition module.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Yup, no win/win with either option. I generally carry a spare fuel pump on long trips. I have only ever had one go bad after sitting for 1-2 years without moving. If they get used often I think they last a lot longer. They do make some piston style mechanical fuel pumps now for the more popular small/big block stuff. Those are pretty neat....kinda similar to the piston lift pump used on a diesel engine.

You can always rig up a gravity feed to the carb with a fuel container on the roof......that will at least get you home...

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Now that you mention it, I might as well list this. May offer some insight for some folks. I've actually realized that I carry alot more than alot of people do, but i dont consider it to be very much....

My current trail box (well, i guess my 'cargo area' because it doesnt all fit in the tool box) contains:

a few belts
random bits of hoses in several different sizes and flavors (heater, fuel, vacuum)
assorted hose clamps
spare starter solenoid
spare coil
all sorts of zip ties (including steel)
a bunch of random wire and connectors
a standard tool set (sockets, wrenches, pliers, screw drivers, electrical tools, yadda yadda)
a bottle of PS fluid, ATF, 10w30
several gallons of water
spare tire
tire iron
hi-lift jack
blanket
trashbags
cardboard
work gloves
revocery strap
reciever d-ring shackle thingie
flashlight
vacuum caps
fuel filter
gas cap
duct tape
gas tank putty (quick-steel)
jb weld
spare H4 bulbs
spare headlight fuses (long story behind that one)
pocket knife
And whatever firearm I'm carrying at the moment.

.....I think that's about it?

Thats all what is in the truck at literally any moment, without me actually having to add anything. Most of it has come in handy in the past, more for others than for me.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Well, to break away from the boring reliability mods and whatnot, I spent the weekend cleaning, prepping, inspecting, and painting my new popup.

I'll spare the boring details, but absolutely everything works, and everything is in great shape, especially for a 32 year old trailer.

Again, sparing details, but the plan is to make this a standard trail camping rig. Not ever going to try and make it do what a lil M416 or M101 can do, but thats not the point. If i can make it down crappy gravel roads, be pulled through soft sand or gravel, and go pup and down some steepish inclines, it'll be 100% perfect for what I want.

The only thing it 'needs' is lift at this point, and I'm in the planning stages for a 5 lug solid axle swap and will probably run something like 28's or maybe smaller. depends on ride height and everything.

But anyway, here is m new home away from home, for now, its strictly reserved for use on roads and graded dirt roads, but it'll be nice after a day of wheeling to come back to a stove, heat, a couch and an actual bed! I'll be taking it on its maiden voyage (for me) in 4 weeks when we head back up to Ely, NV.

driving over to VegasJeepGuy's house to clean it....need drop hitch ASAP.
2012-09-01_11-14-14_312.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

redid the weather stripping or trim or whatever it is
2012-09-02_15-34-42_912.jpg

2012-09-02_15-34-51_775.jpg

then started painting:
2012-09-03_10-08-30_230.jpg

laid on some wood grain where the original green stripes were (it had been painted black by the original owner, then the 2nd owner that i bought it from painted it back to white and blue)
2012-09-03_16-59-05_453.jpg

Finished product:
2012-09-03_18-12-28_684.jpg

2012-09-03_19-24-14_777.jpg

Tomorrow I'll get back to the saga of the mods and trips, but we;re getting pretty dang caught up.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
I vote matching wheels and tires on the trailer to tie it all together! Of course that means you'll have to move a FS spare somewhere else... but I think that would be an awesome look! :) And if you could blend in some early model FSJ tail lights like what are on the waggy and stretch a waggy bumper to mathc the trailer width it would be even cooler! Details...its all in the details! ;)

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Well, I actually just discovered it will cost like 30 bucks to lift the trailer and keep the stock rims, haha. Thats not good....because it means im going to lift it. Dang it.

just need to weld in some stock to serve as a spacer between the frame and the flange on the end of the torsion axle.

2012-09-04_13-39-58_484.jpg

basically jsut need to add space in this gap

lift.jpg

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Okay, enough about my trail camper, back to the truck.

SOOOOOO

After doing the e-pump i drove it around alot. I'm excited to say that the truck hasnt surged once all summer. I've pushed it offroad, on the highway and on the streets and it didnt so much as hiccup in the 115* heat. GOOD!

But after installing it I figured it was time for another trip to test it out. My sister was visiting from Boston, so I loaded her up in the truck, along with my girlfriend and all their gear, and pointed the truck north east, towards Zion National Park.

Took off down the road and I realized the fact that I was missing one of the latch points for my hood was an issue. The hood was flexing pretty dang bad and it was scaring the crap out of me. not just because it could fly up at any moment, but i didnt want to tweak my sheet metal!

Pulled over, a lil paracord did the trick, and we got back on the highway.
2012-05-05_12-36-41_469.jpg

So, about 3 hours later we were in beautiful Zion National Park. Pulled up to a local campground, and got everything set up. Unfortunately, the camping areas around here are right in the town. We were planning a back country camping trip out towards grand staircase, but our plans got changed last minute and we went to Zion.

2012-05-05_18-28-34_283.jpg

2012-05-05_18-32-17_165.jpg

IMG_5181.jpg

did a few hikes, Angles Landing is always a fun one
IMG_5218.jpg

2012-05-06_13-23-41_815.jpg

packed up and headed home
IMG_5262.jpg

yet again, gotta love the comfort factor haha. (yes, shes wearing a seat belt)
IMG_5264.jpg

My sister passed out about instantly.
IMG_5266.jpg

Anyway, the initial road test with the e-pump went well. Zero issues. It wasn't super hot, and we didn't have any crazy elevation gains or losses, but at that point no part of the new fuel system had been proven. It passed with flying colors.

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Dude, this is def one of my top 5 builds on this forum. I absolutly love the wagoneer and would love to get one some day. You have done a great job with the mods so far. Love the storage system, simple but looks like it works. I will def be following this build! Great work dude!

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Thanks!

K, so, we're almost caught up to now.

With the fuel percolation issues supposedly under control, I just wheeled it all spring and summer. The trip to Zion was in April if memory serves, so it was only going to get hotter!

A few small trips here and there.

We headed out for a night run through Wheeler Pass, so I got to text my headlights out on the dirt. Went well but i kept blowing fuses and my lights would go out. Turns out a wire fell between the battery and the tray, rubbed through the coating, and was shorting out ever 20 or 30 minutes. a few fuses and some electrical taper later i was fine to finish the ride. made it home and fixed it.
IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

I like wheeler pas, its mostly a gentile dirt road all the way up to about 7500' but the back side is kinda rough. not technical, just a pretty rough road. slow going.
Quite a long trail, goes from Pahrump over to the north side of the spring mountains. I don't have any pics after it got dark.

Took the girlfriend and her sister (our roommate) and their little brother who was visiting from chicago down to the Colorado river. standard scenery. One of my favorite trails. takes you down to about .4 miles of the river and you have to walk the rest. never seen another car down there. Crappy road, 4x4 is recommended, and it was pretty necessary on the way back up because of the loose gravel road. This is where my truck hit about 220* recently. it was 115* out, up hill, 10mph, 5 miles, 4wd.

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1356.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

Sorry for the gratuitous wheeling pics, just bored.

Another trip down to the lake, Callville Wash.
DSC00976.jpg

DSC00975.jpg

DSC_0058_01.jpg

DSC00965.jpg

DSC_0055_01.jpg

IMG_5096.jpg

(I didnt attempt this one...ha)
IMG_5107.jpg

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
I gotta fix that one dark head light, what the heck. Stupid cheap product!

I think you can see a trend here, about how many of my friends have old iron....yeah, i'm pretty much one of the oly guys who goes out with everybody on a regular basis. And i'm always the one that has to stop for something or other on the trail haha. My brakes are hot, my engine's hot, my carb is out of tune, i need to lock my hubs, my headlights went out, my gas tank is leaking, yadda yadda.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater