1976 Scout Traveler, Ultimate Expedition Build

rube bonet

Adventurer
If you didn't already have the seat mount built, I would say a stainless tank under the front seats that also acts as the seat mounts, in the quarter panel seems like the best option with heating mats to keep them from freezing.

I use portable containers that total 25 gallons, nice thing that you can move them depending where I want the load, but they take up a lot of room. When I am running empty they are by the tailgate to smooth out my HD springs for daily duties, in camp mode I put them at the front of the bed, or on my moto trailer if I have the dirt bikes with us.

However, if I had tanks in the quarter panels that sure would be nice.

That is a good idea (under the front seat), but that will probably be lockable storage eventually. Has anyone used these? http://flexitank.com.au/subproducts/4x4.html The space in front of the rear seat seems like a good spot, too.

rube bonet

Adventurer
Again, nice work!

What are you using for a press brake?

Love the attention to detail....

Thanks! For the big brakes on the bumper and skid, I have an arrangement worked out with a friend who has a big brake (it will do 10' of 5/16 plate!), but no CNC plasma.:)
My brake will do about 10" of 3/16, but that is it.

Clutch

<---Pass
That is a good idea (under the front seat), but that will probably be lockable storage eventually. Has anyone used these? http://flexitank.com.au/subproducts/4x4.html The space in front of the rear seat seems like a good spot, too.

I used something similar for fuel storage on the bikes. Worked ok...but they make nervous for hauling fuel, nothing like trying to handle a huge flammable worm,
and a pain to dump fuel into the gas tank....but for water it would be doable.

See they have quarter panel tanks, that seems like a great solution.

rube bonet

Adventurer
I used something similar for fuel storage on the bikes. Worked ok...but they make nervous for hauling fuel, nothing like trying to handle a huge flammable worm,
and a pain to dump fuel into the gas tank....but for water it would be doable.

See they have quarter panel tanks, that seems like a great solution.

I was thinking the same thing with the water. On the taco I had a faucet and valve at the rear of the truck, right by the cooking station. (If you are like me, the only time you need running water is when you are cooking...the rest of the time it is optional.:camping:) I really like the idea of keeping fresh water accessible at the rear of the vehicle/ cooking area.

Clutch

<---Pass
I was thinking the same thing with the water. On the taco I had a faucet and valve at the rear of the truck, right by the cooking station. (If you are like me, the only time you need running water is when you are cooking...the rest of the time it is optional.:camping:) I really like the idea of keeping fresh water accessible at the rear of the vehicle/ cooking area.

I am like you, I don't like a lot of fluff when camping. Keep it as simple as possible. Think why I use 5 gallon water jugs, because I use my truck for a
bunch of different things, getting some firewood on Sunday actually...they do take up some room, but easy to move about. Diggin on the quarter panel
idea though. I might have to do that...

We do have shower, but it is a stainless steel bug sprayer that I throw up on
the camp stove to heat the water, even got rid of the pump and knocked a hose-bib into the side of it, so now it is gravity fed.

The Scout is looking great by the way.

Last edited:

rube bonet

Adventurer
I am like you, I don't like a lot of fluff when camping. Keep it as simple as possible. Think why I use 5 gallon water jugs, because I use my truck for a
bunch of different things, getting some firewood on Sunday actually...they do take up some room, but easy to move about. Diggin on the quarter panel
idea though. I might have to do that...

We do have shower, but it is a stainless steel bug sprayer that I throw up on
the camp stove to heat the water, even got rid of the pump and knocked a hose-bib into the side of it, so now it is gravity fed.

The Scout is looking great by the way.

I like the bug sprayer idea, simple hot showers from the camp fire.
Anyways, I got some more done on the rear bumper, waiting on the clamp for the swing aways, new nato cans so I can build the locking hold down for them, and the fold down tables, which I will get done today.

Everything is mounted above the departure angle, I kept the tire as low as I could for visibility (didn't help much :)),but managed to keep the jerry cans low enough to stay out of the window.
IMG_2012_10_14_7305.jpg

This is the swingouts locked into the 100 degree position. They will both lock open to 170 degrees, where they hit the positive stop. You can also see the unfinished ends where a single 7000lb latch will clamp both swingouts to the bumper.

IMG_2012_10_14_7303.jpg

Here you can see the spindle & hub, positive stop, and (barely) the spring loaded locking pin behind the pivot.

IMG_2012_10_14_7300.jpg

Departure angle. You can also see where I lean the swingaway pivots toward the vehicle. The bearing hubs pivot freely, this allows gravity to help keep the swing aways in place when you latch it, and stay open when they are past 90 degrees

IMG_2012_10_14_7302.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I really like the un-square mounting of things to follow the lines of the vehicle!

It looks like I might need to step up my game with a plasma table!

Keep it up....

grimbo

Explorer
The flexitanks are a great idea, see alot of them down here especially the quarter panel ones. The ones on the floor usually are covered by a panel of some sort to keep the kids from using them as a jumping castle.

rube bonet

Adventurer
The flexitanks are a great idea, see alot of them down here especially the quarter panel ones. The ones on the floor usually are covered by a panel of some sort to keep the kids from using them as a jumping castle.

That is what I was concerned with (the jumping castle thing). I like the hard abs ones, http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2157 But my seat mount is 3/4 inch the wrong direction to allow that too fit:oops:

Thanks for all the nice words everyone!

A little sneak preview of the fold down tables on the back of the swing aways. I think this is a sign I am itching to build another race car; fold down food prep tables are .090 aluminum, dimple died, weigh less than 4 lbs for the both of them, and can support 200lbs. I'm pretty sure my OCD manifests itself in extreme weight reduction :sombrero:

One side holds stove and gear, other side is big enough for a large cutting board, leaving the back of the vehicle open.
IMG_2012_10_16_7308.jpg

They will be supported by coated aircraft cable (load rated)
IMG_2012_10_16_7307.jpg

I still need to put the latch and rubbber bumpers in place
IMG_2012_10_16_7309.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater