1978 Toyota Chinook 4x4

Expedition Leader
Basically a camper put on a mini-truck. The 22R is one of the best motors Toyota has ever made, but it is underpowered for that much weight, on the highway at least. If you're not in a hurry to get anywhere, it could be a fun rig for one person or two max.

haven

Expedition Leader
10920919.jpg

This looks like a good way to spend $3900!

njtacoma

Explorer
Conversion I think

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like a 5 lug front end, which would make it a US based conversion.

It might be challenging to find some of the one off parts. I remember reading something about custom axles lengths or something.

Of course a 2L-t with newer Toyota axles and trans/transfer case would be a pretty cool set up.

colter

Observer
most likely the wolverine conversion, done on toyota mini's in the 70's. utilized a jeep cj front dana 30, and a dana 20 t-case with aluminum adapter plate.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
most likely the wolverine conversion, done on toyota mini's in the 70's. utilized a jeep cj front dana 30, and a dana 20 t-case with aluminum adapter plate.

Could very well have been done by AFWD Conversions here in SLC too, since the 70's they have converted thousands of trucks and vans to 4WD and in the early years of their business, Toyota's and Chevy Luv's were their bread and butter. I might go take a peak at it this week if its still around.

xoblaim

Observer
Could very well have been done by AFWD Conversions here in SLC too, since the 70's they have converted thousands of trucks and vans to 4WD and in the early years of their business, Toyota's and Chevy Luv's were their bread and butter. I might go take a peak at it this week if its still around.

I went and looked at it and owner said that it was converted to 4wd in California, so it is likely it is a Wolverine conversion.

I really want to get it, but I probably need to buy a daily driver first.

Beachboyy

Adventurer
I am also very very interested in what kind of shape this thing is in. If anyone goes and looks at it and doesnt want to buy it please please take pics and give a little more info than what is in the description.

jrueppel

Adventurer
I am also very very interested in what kind of shape this thing is in. If anyone goes and looks at it and doesnt want to buy it please please take pics and give a little more info than what is in the description.

+1 - Would love to see a bit more info if someone has taken more photos, inside and out.

More info

I have talked to the owner on several occasions and he has had the rig for many years. He does not know that much about the conversion,but it is jeep parts. He used it alot when his wife was alive. He is a ski guide at powder mountain,and he is 70 years old and quite the interesting fello..I am waiting for pics from him to arrive in the mail as he is not to keen on the computer. He seems very honest to me,at least on the phone. He is a very easy guy to talk to. So don't hesitate to call him. I have my RV on ebay now and the auction ends in 2 days. If it sells I will be buying his rig,I would buy it now but I have 3 vehicles and the big RV that I just bought 2 months ago only to realize it is not what we want... We really want a toyota sunrader 4x4 for long stays away from home and a chinook for not so long stays...We have a fj45 troopie camper now,but we really would like to get better MPGs and stay toyota.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3