1983 Ford 4X4 ambulance

Cat Jockey

Observer
What's this worth? I would say absolutely no less $5000, and more I think, depending on how desperately one was to sell it, which I am not. Hard to pin down. That being said, I am open and looking to a trade for another running vehicle. I have had this for several months and have put about 5000+ miles on it. However, it will be a couple of years before I can invest the time and money into it for a conversion, so, instead of looking at it and driving it minimally for a couple years I thought I might see if somebody had the resources to start on it now and had something of a relative equal value to trade.

Cash obviously talks, but I am really not interested in taking anything less than $5500, versus being willing to trade for a cool vehicle that may be worth only $5000 if it suits my fancy.

This ambulance was in service in rural south western Colorado. It runs fine, but it is exactly what one would expect out of a 25 year old American V-8, meaning that yes, the rear oil seal leaks, as does the power steering pump. Things of that nature. Nothing major or any signs of machine work, but I was going to yank the engine to put in fresh seals and bearings and to have the heads opened up a bit (in the 80's Ford was choking this motor very badly in an effort to meet emmission standards, subsequently sapping HP's and torque that can be unleashed with some simple porting). I know people here might tend towards diesels, but if one were to go gas, the Ford 460 is the block I would choose. No offense GM fans, but it is a much more substantial engine than a 454 IMHO. It is a brute that was designed by the Ford engineers to be able to handle well over 500ci's for use in medium duty trucks.

The chassis drives and rides great. Ambulance body is tight and solid, no creaks or squeaks.

The title is clean and in hand. All doors close, latch and lock and I have all of the keys. All lights and switches function.

I am the second owner, after the volunteer Fire Protection District that operated it and pretty much the only modification the previous owner made was to remove the catalytic converter.

Sorry about the dogs in the pics, the doors were open and they were bound and determined to not miss the opportunity for what they perceived to be an impending ride.

Year: 1983
Make: Ford
Model: E-350 Cutaway Class 3 Dually Chassis 4X4
Mileage: 88,1XX
Engine: 460 normally aspirated
Tranny: C6
Rear Axle and Diff: Dually, Limited Slip, 4.10
Hubs: Warn

Overall Height: 96”
Overall Width: 93”
Overall Length: 221”

Interior Height: 63”
Interior Width: 78”
Interior Length: 132”

Total Lockable Outside Storage Compartment Volume: 58 cf.

Sweet stuff:

120v 1500W inverter
Dual Batteries
Master Disconnect / Isolation Switch (both batteries off, #1 only, #2 only, both on)
Real Ammeter
On board battery charger
Lights everywhere
Switches and professionally installed wiring to utilize out the wazoo.
Exhaust fan in rear.
Convenient and useful lighted and lockable storage.
Dual Tanks.
Good Tires.

Potentially sweet stuff:

Air Conditioner in back. Works, but does not blow cold ( I am sure you tell by the surroundings, I don't have much need for a/c in a vehicle, so I have been in no rush to look into it ). I haven’t investigated, but my guess is it only needs a recharge. Same for the front AC on the engine.

christopher.fox.72@gmail.com

Out of state would be okay. I am in north central Colorado with very easy I-70 access.

1-1.jpg

1-2.jpg

1-3.jpg

1-4.jpg

1-5.jpg

1-6.jpg

1-7.jpg

1-8.jpg

1-9.jpg

Last edited:

Cat Jockey

Observer
More pics ...

It has a little road grime on it from the winter that I should have washed off first.

1-10.jpg

1-11.jpg

1-14.jpg

1-13.jpg

1-12.jpg

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Cat Jockey,

Put your photos on Photobucket or Flickr and supply a link so we can see them.

Cat Jockey

Observer
Hmmm ...

Put your photos on Photobucket or Flickr and supply a link so we can see them.

They are in my gallery and appear on my screen in this thread. Am I the only one who can see them when I open this thread?

I almost bought that one last year! Did you make any improvements to it?

Improvements? Sort of. Just to provide more background information for those that may be interested, after it's stint in southwest Co. at the Hermosa Cliff Fire Protection District, it ended up east of Denver in a farming community. The PO I referred to. He got to the point where he needed cheaper transportation for work, didn't have any money, blah, blah, blah, and his buddy at the small used car lot servicing that little town and the surrounding even littler towns feels bad for him and trades him for a commuter.

And then there it sat for 2.5 - 3 years. At Rollin' Steve's Auto Sales in Strasburg, Colorado. I know this because I asked (I forgot his name), Rollin' Steve's brother, "What were you thinking taking this thing in on a trade?" His response was, "I don't know. I knew the guy all my life and he was in a bind. And I thought I could sell it."

All of that being said, it sat for almost three years. Improvements I made have been carb rebuild, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, ignition control module, starter, air cleaner, PCV. I did not want to get into tearing it apart too much as until recently, it was my only vehicle. Plus, I wanted to spend some time thinking about how I wanted it to look in the end before I started. Get a pretty complete plan formulated first.

I traded Rollin' Steve's brother my then good condition late 90's import 4X4 pu w/shell for it by saying after the test drive and deciding I needed it, "Well, I'm the only knucklehead who is going to take this thing from you. How about I drive back down tomorrow morning with the title to my pu and we trade straight across. My pu isn't worth as much but you'll be able to sell it in a couple of weeks. You'll sit on this ambulance for another 3 years if I don't take it."

"Deal." The man said.

Last edited:

Esmi

Explorer
They are in my gallery and appear on my screen in this thread. Am I the only one who can see them when I open this thread?

I can see the pix fine, and I think you have a neato base for an offroad camper. Good luck keeping it or selling it. :)

Desert Dan

Explorer
Nice find

I think I would loose the side compartment on the left to allow for more inside bunk space? Or you could use it for long itmes like skis etc.?

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Did anyone die in it?

My guess....yes. Even in our small jurisdiction our ambo's transport those who are either on their way out or DO "check out" en route to the hospital on a regular basis.

Regardless, that is a great platform and I remember seeing a Ford pickup chassis ambo for sale here last year some time that had been done up into a stellar overlanding rig. Would not hesitate to buy one for the task.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater