1985 FJ 85 - Australian Market import

OverlandOregon

I've always wanted one of these. (Nearly) every piece made and assembled in Japan, this is Australian model that rarely gets imported into the U.S. FJ is in San Diego. No connection to seller.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/o-EAAOSwYGFU2B~G/$_57.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/9x4AAOSwWKtUwqJW/$_57.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/P80AAOSw8d9UwqJN/$_57.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/XjUAAOSw1vlUwqg6/$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Land...f46c0e1e4&item=271769985508&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

joe12pack

Remembered seeing this a few months ago. I missed out on this thing because I was out of town, and didn't see the listing until it was too late. Found the original listing on pg 8 of this sub-forum

Most likely never registered the vehicle in their name. Probably some A$$hole title-flipper, bottom feeding scum parasite trying to illegally re-sell for easy money.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...r-HJ75-Troop-Carrier-Diesel-19500-(San-Diego)

It already has exceeded that previous asking price. Out of curiosity - what is "illegal" about reselling for a profit? That's the American way isn't it?

DieselFreak

Adventurer
It already has exceeded that previous asking price. Out of curiosity - what is "illegal" about reselling for a profit? That's the American way isn't it?

Not sure if serious....

There is nothing wrong with profit. That is not the issue.

Reselling a vehicle that is not registered in your name is known as "Title Flipping". It is illegal in every state and punishable by fines and jail time. Now seeing that this HJ75 was just sold 3 months ago there is a good chance that this vehicle was purchased by a Title Flipper.

You have a specific amount of time to register a vehicle in your name. In California it is 10 days. By not registering the vehicle, a flipper avoids paying use tax, fees AND more importantly also does not create a chain of custody that makes them the owner on the Carfax report. They appear to be the owner, but legally not so. They also create an artificial demand for vehicles because they are buying something based on speculation.

If you see a vehicle for sale and the seller claims "I'm selling this for my Uncle, Grandpa, Cousin, Brother who is a Disabled Vet, etc..." they are most likely title flippers and the vehicle is not registered to them.

I have had the unfortunate pleasure of meeting a few title flippers. In my experience, they are liars and will say or do anything - even commit fraud to make a buck. The WORST kind of used car salesmen.

So next time you look at a vehicle being sold by a private seller, check the registration and pink slip. Ask to see the sellers ID, if all 3 do not match walk away-FAST.

Last edited:

joe12pack

DieselFreak - thanks for the explanation. I actually bid on this vehicle however I am not currently the highest bidder. It looks like an amazingly clean rig but I will definitely ask him if the vehicle is registered & titled to him. I honestly am quite new to land cruisers although I've been a "diesel nut" my whole life so I am definitely treading lightly as I could be really burned bad if I buy something so unique as this.

Not sure how high this thing will go but he's already doing a lot better considering he wanted $19.5k for it on Craigslist and its higher but still hasn't hit his reserve.

DieselFreak

Adventurer
Not sure how high this thing will go but he's already doing a lot better considering he wanted $19.5k for it on Craigslist and its higher but still hasn't hit his reserve.

There is something you don't seem to understand. Probably NOT the same seller as on the craigslist ad. Most likely this HJ75 was purchased from the actual owner in November 2014 by the Title Flipper (who is the Ebay seller) when the Craigslist ad was active. Two different people here, the actual owner (craigslist) and the flipper (Ebay) both selling the same vehicle on different sites. Understand?

Another thing to take note of, is that if you read his auction description, he never says he is the actual owner of the Land Cruiser HJ75 for sale. Probably because he never registered the vehicle in his name and is flipping the title.

You can try running a Carfax report to see what comes up. The License plate CA # 6JUR773 . VIN# HJ750001391

Buyer Beware. Don't let emotion cloud your judgment. You know more about this vehicle, where it came from, and who is selling it than the other bidders.

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Diesel Freak I am not sure if you are correct about the title flipping laws.

It is perfectly legal to buy a vehicle (a piece of property) and NOT register it for use on the road...

DieselFreak

Adventurer
Diesel Freak I am not sure if you are correct about the title flipping laws.

It is perfectly legal to buy a vehicle (a piece of property) and NOT register it for use on the road...

Actually it is 100% illegal here in California. Since the sale happened in CA, and I live here, I'm familiar with the DMV laws. It looks like your from Boston, I'm not sure how things work in MA but you assumptions may be incorrect as well.

Any transfer of ownership requires a new title and registration w/ CA DMV to the current owner within 10 days. Any transfer of ownership means:

1. Transfer to family members or "domestic partners".
2. Private Sale to a new owner
3. Planned NON Operational transfer of a non-running vehicle
4. OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) Transfer

Title Flipping is a problem here in CA as it deprives the state of funding, which is one of the reasons it is illegal. The other reason is because of Fraud. Law enforcement actually conduct sting operations at public used car sales events and flea markets to catch these people in the act.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Not sure whether or not "title flipping" is legal here in Utah but it's very common and not an immediate cause for alarm. I've purchased dozens of vehicles on a signed title with a different name on the bill of sale, i.e. they never titled it in their name. Non-issue and the DMV's here don't care. In some cases I know they were buying/selling to turn a buck, I'm fine with that if the buck I pay is still appropriate. In other cases it's a vehicle they purchased to build, part out, restore, drive, etc and things change and so long as it has a clean title, why do I lose sleep? I take no liability due to their failure to swap the title. Mattress tags are of more concern :D

Of course California makes you pay the title transfer if you transfer it to a family member or partner, they need the $$$, doesn't make it a bad Cruiser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven