1988 Chevrolet Suburban V20 build

bfdiesel

Explorer
No you use a dana 70 dually axle with 14 bolt hubs to make the rear within a 1/4" of the front overall WMS to WMS. Not sure what you are talking about with the brakes, the person that told you that is maybe talking a cab and chassis rear as they are narrower. Looking at your picture you have plenty of room to move those perches. This is what I bought to swap my rear axle http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/4BGSSK.html. Not sure how I will do my rear caliper mounting brackets yet, but I am thinking of these http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/D70DISC-CHE.html. I am not pushing Ruff Stuff I am just showing you what I bought and may buy.

Last edited:

cop car

Observer
yes so the plan now is to cut the perches and re weld them on the right width and then also change the pinion angle while im at it. brake swap will be at a later time now.

if i put the 14 bolt hubs on it, and this being a dually rear end.. do i put the 14 bolt SRW or DRW hubs on it? and is it just bolt and unbolt? lastly... im assuming it will make the hub not stick out as far. this is going to be a lot more work than i thought initially, but then again it it always is isnt it? ha at least i know ill have a good rear end i wont have to worry about under it.

bfdiesel

Explorer
The hubs off a SRW 14 bolt the one that doesnt stick out as far. As long as you have a dana 70 the hubs are interchangable, bolt and unbolt. Over the next couple months I will probably get this done on mine I plan on posting pictures on it.

Last edited:

cop car

Observer
Ok, well came off of leave and got some time to work on it. Cut spring perches off and got it up under the truck. I am on my phone now, but pics to follow

cop car

Observer
As prommised here are the pics of the swap

axle perches

IMG_3588.jpg

IMG_3589.jpg

used a grinder to grind down the welds

IMG_3586.jpg
IMG_3587.jpg

then used a cut off wheel to cut on the welds.

IMG_3590.jpg

then hit it a couple of good times with a sledge, they came right off

IMG_3593.jpg

cop car

Observer
here they are on the ground

IMG_3592.jpg
IMG_3594.jpg
IMG_3596.jpg

here is the tube with the perch gone, still see some weld left over

IMG_3591.jpg

then i used a regular body grinder to grind down the welds that are left over

IMG_3597.jpg

next up are the shock mounts. they were reversed, so i just cut them off and was going to weld them on the other sides.

IMG_3601.jpg
IMG_3602.jpg

shock mounts cut off

IMG_3603.jpg

spring perches and shock mounts cut off

IMG_3605.jpg

cop car

Observer
here is the axle with spring perches and the shock mounts off of it, everything all ground down

IMG_3607.jpg

next step i put the D70HD, put 1 ton springs on it and bolted it up under the truck

IMG_3609.jpg

got it all aligned up and at the right angle (i think) i measured it and the ujoint is the same distance from the pinion on both the top and bottom.

IMG_3608.jpg

then welded the spring perches on while it was still bolted up to the truck

IMG_3631.jpg
IMG_3634.jpg
IMG_3636.jpg

then welded on the shock mounts also

IMG_3637.jpg

here is the rear end all under the truck all welded up.

IMG_3639.jpg
IMG_3641.jpg
IMG_3642.jpg

rear only done. yes it sits quite a bit higher in the rear haha. and the wheels stick out.

cop car

Observer
now to do the front end swap D60 dually front end. had pretty much everything still bolted to it.

old front end out from under it.

axle out.jpg
axle floor.jpg

sorry i dont have more front end swap pictures. i was kinda in a rush.
here it is while i bleed the brakes.

IMG_3718.jpg

here it is all done.

IMG_3722.jpg
IMG_3723.jpg
IMG_3725.jpg
you can see how far the H2 wheels stick out, with the HMMWV wheels they should be pretty much flush.
IMG_3726.jpg
IMG_3727.jpg

cop car

Observer
the rear end, even having to cut off the spring perches was pretty straight forward.

the front end was a completely bolt on procedure, it was really easy

the lift kit is ORD, 4 inch shackle flip in the rear with 1 ton springs, ORD stailess brake lines. then in the front it is the rough country 4inch HD lift, their steering drop and brake lines also.

i have the HMMWV wheels currently, i just have to put them on, but wont be till next month. get to spend the next month out in the California desert, no fun. see you guys in about a month

cop car

Observer
It's a blessing and a curse. It's on post so I'm restricted on time and it costs me 50-70 bucks a day to work on it there. Lift defiantly helped on both front and rear though a lot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach