1988 HJ61 Highway vibration help

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Ironman would not have been my first choice, but here in the states, I'm having trouble finding a reasonably priced replacement suspension for my diesel LC. The prices I am being quoted are $2- 3K because of the specialty (at least in the US) front springs. Ironman came in at just about $1K. Im not looking for big lift or anything super duty, just a refresh of the worn out stock suspension. I tend to be a proponent of keeping things as close to stock as possible without a specific need, which I don't have in this case. My JH61 has handled anything I have thrown at it with no issues on the stock setup. I don't foresee doing anything more extreme than I have already done in terms of off pavement terrain...

If your having trouble finding suspension bits for your HJ61, your calling the wrong places ;) We stock all of the diesel OME suspension components right alongside the gas versions. The majority and in some cases 100% of the kit components are identical between the BJ/HJ/FJ 60 Series models.

...Question - are the wheel bearings the same as a NAS 60 series, or do I need to get something specific to the HJ? Might as well order a set, just in case.

100% the same on the front. Your rear may or may not have a FF rear axle. If it is full-float, the rear bearings are identical to the front which are identical to all US LC's from 1976-1997 (front and rear on FF models). Long story short, super available. If yours has the semi-float rear axle, bearings are still the same as US albeit different. Any reputable Cruiser shop should have everything you need there.

clang

Not Lost, Exploring!
Great Info! Thank you. I'm still a bit new to all of this. I sold my last Fj40 in 1990, and there was no InterWebs with all this great information. I'll be stopping by your shop, virtually at least, to check things out. What would you recommend for me, given what I am trying to accomplish - I'm not looking for big lift (2" max) or anything super duty, just a refresh of the worn out stock suspension.

Thanks!

If your having trouble finding suspension bits for your HJ61, your calling the wrong places ;) We stock all of the diesel OME suspension components right alongside the gas versions. The majority and in some cases 100% of the kit components are identical between the BJ/HJ/FJ 60 Series models.

100% the same on the front. Your rear may or may not have a FF rear axle. If it is full-float, the rear bearings are identical to the front which are identical to all US LC's from 1976-1997 (front and rear on FF models). Long story short, super available. If yours has the semi-float rear axle, bearings are still the same as US albeit different. Any reputable Cruiser shop should have everything you need there.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Great Info! Thank you. I'm still a bit new to all of this. I sold my last Fj40 in 1990, and there was no InterWebs with all this great information. I'll be stopping by your shop, virtually at least, to check things out. What would you recommend for me, given what I am trying to accomplish - I'm not looking for big lift (2" max) or anything super duty, just a refresh of the worn out stock suspension...

The light-medium diesel load Old Man Emu suspension could be a great fit for your vehicle. There are quite a few different ways to refresh the suspension starting with new springs and shocks (utilizing your existing spring pins and shackles) to a full replacement that will literally replace all of your tires suspension components with heavy duty components that will last for years. Give us a call if this is something you would like to discuss further, we do suspensions on a individual basis and spend time going through a 'build sheet' with each customer in which we discuss past, current and future needs and from there recommend setup for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal