1989 Chevy 3500

rdrash

So for where I live and the local trips I take I needed something that was large enough for a family of four and able to carry enough for us to be gone for up to 16 days at a time, not just 16 days on the road but 16 days in the bush with no other outside contact besides sat phone. I also needed something I could drive on the highway 300 miles in a weekend take off the pavement and be able to ford 48 inches of water or mud if not a combination of the both.

It started with a 2wd 1989 crew cab chevy that had blown small block and non working automatic items added include a Dana 60 front axle with crossover steering and hydri assist from PSC a new model rear 14bolt with disc brakes and a detroit locker a fuel injected big block connected to a sm465 and NP205 transfer case as well as a 12K warn on the front and an 8K warn on the rear.

This truck also has to be able to lift my fish wheel in and out of the copper river and hoist a moose up and into the back during the hunting season.

Pics from the start to current

sled20and20crew20006.jpg

sled20and20crew20007.jpg

cc20001.jpg

cc20004.jpg

crew20cab20002.jpg

cc20005.jpg

Last edited:

Bojak

Adventurer
Nice truck! I love those tall skinny tires. Pretty cool. Of course I am biased, here's mineimage.jpg

BigTex

Observer
Nice looking rig! I'm usually not a fan of colored suspension parts....but this thing looks like its half Caterpillar! I like it.

98dango

Expedition Leader
What is the specs on the Michlins (sp) . How do you like them on road and off I'm a big fan of tall narrow.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Really nice looking truck there rdrash! I like the way you used those track bars to keep the front axel at the right angle. Nicely done!:drool:

rdrash

Those are 11R20's they are spec'd at 43 inches tall but they measure 44 and 11/16ths inches I'm sure if they were on the original vehicle they would bulge out enough to only be 43" but on this truck there is not much flex, each tire is rated at 7200 lbs.

Not sure what they weigh but the construction is pretty good they have not been balanced and are smooth as can be up to 75 I don't really feel a need to go faster than that. I don't imagine I could ever wear them out the construction in stong enough I'm not to worried about punctures off pavement do to rocks or wood, I'm pretty sure they will hold up well in our shale up here also. Although the carcass is stiff I am still able to change the tire off the wheel and back on with a pry bar or two and a good set of spoons.

Offroad the narrow size is a limiting factor on soft grounds some bad spots I make it through and guys with better tires don't and other spots they make it through and I use the winch.

As I said about being unbalanced and smooth running on the road for a tall tire they don't grab ruts or wander all over can't feel sidewall flex and handle towing good also this truck has had 8K lbs behind it. With the PSC hydro assist I can drive with three fingers on the bottom of the steering wheel and drink my coffee without a lid on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk