1989 SUBURBAN V2500 PROJECT

Let the marine paint dry over the weekend, the heaters in this bay would hold right at 80 degrees. The heaters did a good job, this paint is very durable.

Started sanding and masking for the second coats.

IMG_4811.JPGIMG_4812.JPGIMG_4814.JPGIMG_4816.JPG

Dratwagon the only cheating was using the school air compressor, the students didn't even touch this rig at all, this work was done after hours mostly in my own shop the vehicle made many trips back to the college to show the students the total change. Each student had their own restoration projects, A 64 impala, a 78 Jeep, a 87 Toyota pick up, and a 89 Chevy 1/2 Ton. All had to be done within a 6 month period and 3 of them were total frame off before paint. I'm still working with the rear door, it was just a project and it works fine but your right I might miss the handle. If your friend has a SM465 in his Blazer he might want to just step up to the NV4500 5 Speed, to me that would be a simpler change.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Looks great Todd! Can't wait to see how the U-Pol Raptor liner holds up. My buddy bought some to spray his old Jeepster with. Looks like pretty good stuff. What do you think of the Raptor liner so far? On part with Rhino or Linex? The paint job looks really nice. Love the two ton with the bed liner.

Dratwagon

Adventurer
Please keep us up to date on the raptor liner, my plans are to get some next month, I'll be sure to tell him about the 5 speed.
The body and paint looks great, is that Imron that your using or something better.

I take back the cheating, you just have mad skills.

Hi Larry, the Raptor seems to be holding up very well I have about 2.5 k on the paint now and it is very tough and washes up easily. I got quotes from Linex and a Rhino company at the time of the shooting, they were very high at 3200 for Linex and about 2600 for the Rhino, I know they are a superior product but dam. The reason I went with the Raptor is I am a huge fan of U-POL and because I am a instructor I purchased a U-POL 2.5 tip gun and the Raptor for less than 300 Dollars.

Total in all with sandpaper and tape I have less than 400 in the paint and body work for this rig. Plus Linex would not shoot the frame or any of the under carriage due to warranty issues. I shot both and under the hood the firewall and all the engine compartment and both of the bumpers.

Last edited:
Hello Dratwagon, no the paint I am using is an industrial grade system that is normally sprayed on Mining Equipment and Cruise Ships so needless to say I can throw rocks at the paint surface and it wont even chip. Its very tough. I have been shooting since 1986 when the first really good siphon guns came out that used about 60 to 80 psi to get the paint to flow, I shot all of this with less than 20, funny how the HVLP works now. If you decide to go with the Raptor they have two application methods, there is a roller kit which works ok on very flat surfaces, it leaves a decent texture but it uses a lot more product, I recommend the gun method, U-POL sells and excellent primer gun that will use up to a 2.8 tip. It works awesome shooting the raptor, uses very little air and for the most part in good ventilation can be shot outside in low wind, booth is always best though.

Dratwagon

Adventurer
Thanks, you say that you shot the under side as well, what prep did you do and how much raptor did you use, my plans are the same minus the rockers.

Well Dratwagon, the first plan was to do a frame off, and that became a no go really quick. According to U-POL a typical scuffing with a red scotch bright pad is what is recommended for the interior of the truck beds, I went through about 20 of them. Did a real basic job nothing fancy, I'm not expecting it to hold up much longer but if I had time to blast I would have and probably would have held up much longer. I used the 1 gallon kit and had a little left over after shooting the engine compartment under good the whole interior the rockers and most of the frame and under fenders. It's a great product shoots very heavy and smooth. I am very happy with it.

gohuge

Observer
Nice job Todd. Did the Raptor help with road noise? I have to shoot my door jambs this Spring, and am considering shooting the floors
at the same time. BTW, my Raptor is holding up great...all in the prep.

Hello Gohuge, yes the raptor did help with the road noise, that wasn't really the intention of doing it but it helps a great deal. I was looking for more protection than anything. And your right about the prep, took about a week to get the Suburban to spray and the Paint took about 3 hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3