1995 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 - Adventure Rig Build

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
I bet it is your fan clutch. They are cheap for that application and easy to install. Also while you have the upper fan shroud off, drill a 3/8 hole in the middle of the lower fan shroud next to the lip by the engine. It will allow any moisture collected while driving in wet weather to drain out of the fan shroud. You would be surprised how much moisture comes through the radiator in wet weather.
Thanks for the info on this!
I might actually try this route before I go through the hassle of electric fan setup. After I explained this whole issue to my future brother in law (works with offroad racing vehicles) he actually was first to say my fan clutch probably isn't working right as well.
I'll probably do that first, see what that changes, then if it's still an issue, go back to the electric fan research.
Thanks everyone.

superbuickguy

Explorer
Yeah, man. I definitely notice a difference.. and to add on to all this.. took it for another small road trip this past weekend. ~275 more miles on the odometer now and I have to say, this was my favorite trip I've had in it so far.
I'm running 91 octane still, and with this new EVAP vacuum hose helping the efficiency of the thing, I can actually feel the difference in the way it runs. Its slightly more responsive and the BEST part is that I didn't experience any pinging this trip. And there is even a portion of this drive (headed from the beach cities out into the desert of Palm Springs) that is a mountain pass area. I would set my cruise control and when I hit an incline, the motor would actually downshift the way it should without pinging and just ran fairly well! I'm like 90% happy with it.

The issue I need to work on now is controlling the engine temp. Since I was driving out into the desert (it was about 100* out there this weekend), I got stuck in a HUGE amount of traffic in the middle of the day on Saturday afternoon.. after about 20 minutes of creeping along in 96-100* sun beating down, surrounded by 4 lanes of stopped vehicles.. it was running REALLY warm. It usually sits at the 210 mark on the gauge... and as long as I was moving in the heat, it would be about 215-220.. but as soon as I slowed to an idle...

9521249376_a7ea028076.jpg

Aside from that though, I was happy with the way it ran for the trip. I was able to make the whole trek on little more than 3/4's a tank.. So I'll need to get gas in a day or two and Ill see what kind of consumption it is getting.

Chevy trucks, with the dextron coolant, are notorious for plugging the radiator (it coats it with a nice, white covering that plugs the cross tubes) if you don't change the fluid religiously. Fortunately, new radiators are cheap, but it's still a pain. Normal operating temp is 210, you can change that with a lower-temp thermostat but don't get too wild because if you get to the 160* thermostat, you'll cause additional wear on the motor, use additional fuel (because it thinks it needs to warm up), and eventually blow a cat converter because it'll plug up with the richer fuel mixture.

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Chevy trucks, with the dextron coolant, are notorious for plugging the radiator (it coats it with a nice, white covering that plugs the cross tubes) if you don't change the fluid religiously. Fortunately, new radiators are cheap, but it's still a pain. Normal operating temp is 210, you can change that with a lower-temp thermostat but don't get too wild because if you get to the 160* thermostat, you'll cause additional wear on the motor, use additional fuel (because it thinks it needs to warm up), and eventually blow a cat converter because it'll plug up with the richer fuel mixture.

New radiator went in with the new motor but I'm running standard green coolant (not Dex) through my new motor. None of these parts have had any Dex run through them. :) thanks for confirmation on the op temp.
Speaking of changing coolant religiously.. How often is it recommended?
Thanks for the info everyone.
Truck still is runnin nicely. I'm actually starting to gain some trust in the thing. At this point, my only hesitation on driving any lengthy distance is "how much money do I have left in my gasoline budget for this month?" Hahah

superbuickguy

Explorer
then a 6.5 turbo diesel is the answer to all your questions ;) it will, literally, double your fuel economy... more torque too (see why most of the hard core guys are so ga ga for diesels?). I had a 6.2 NA diesel, 28 mpg on the highway... the 6.5 turbo diesel gets that mpg but adds the ability to climb hills at faster than walking speeds (I joke, but only slightly)

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
then a 6.5 turbo diesel is the answer to all your questions ;) it will, literally, double your fuel economy... more torque too (see why most of the hard core guys are so ga ga for diesels?). I had a 6.2 NA diesel, 28 mpg on the highway... the 6.5 turbo diesel gets that mpg but adds the ability to climb hills at faster than walking speeds (I joke, but only slightly)

haha! I like the way you think.. but since I havent even hit 5k miles on this new motor yet, I think I'll hold off on starting another motor swap for a while. hah. ;) Thanks for the kind words and the suggestion for my future to-do. :D

superbuickguy

Explorer
It's coincidence, but after I gave you that advice, I was perusing craigslist and found (and bought) a 6.5L short block for $50. Plan is to re-ring it, new heads and drop it in my 83..... I also found a 97 Suburban that the guy can't start (I've bought and flipped several of these - generally it's either a starter or it's got air in the lines).... I've been working on not going to buy that - as you can see from my signature line, I'm full up on projects though having more room in an overland vehicle would be pretty awesome.

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Well, decided it was time to fix my blown front speaker (drivers side) and instead of replacing with stock junk.. I ordered a new set of 6.5" Rockford Fosgates (with tweeters) to replace the front.
I am SOOO stoked on these. Had to drill new holes and mount them, but wiring was easy splice and connect and it works fantastic! The tweeters actually fit so snugly in the stock tweeter spot that I didnt even need to "mount" those.. I just jammed them in and they stuck and stayed (I even gave them a good shake and rattle test to make sure they wouldnt pop back out).

Stoked for good sounding tunes now! :D

Out with the old, in with the new.

14452667258_7c91b4e7d7_b.jpg

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
hey just read through this whole thing, sad to see it hasnt been updated in 2 years! but awesome work! love these OBS chevys

Wait... what?? I just updated it a few days ago. I'm still building this thing. :D hah. In fact.. I have more parts just sitting in my living room waiting for me to install them..

10381978_10152288870913460_7401262504555934843_n.jpg

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Wicked Chev! Good sound is always a cool thing...:)
Thanks Chilli! :D

Hahahah sorry man I looked at join date. Screwed me up because I'm on my phone!
hah, no problem. :) Glad to have you checking out the build.

nice speakers... do you have a part number? i have a 99 burb... they need updating too
They are.. Rockford Fosgate R165-S 160 Watt 6.5" 2-Way Car Component Speaker System. :)

As far as an update... yesterday it sprung a new coolant leak. Looks like it's coming from the rubber plug over this hose connector on my radiator. I'm hoping it's as easy as getting a new cap and clamping it on.

14719110306_54fe61b2c6_z.jpg

Dutch Matrix

no problem man, Ive enjoyed reading here. giving me ideas. I'm going to start a build thread here soon for my 1999 suburban, I just don't want to start it yet till I get the ball rolling in a week or two. so for now I can live through your truck! lol.

Boost Creep

Adventurer
i'm thinking speakers are on my list soon too. noticed the drivers side bose is blown out in mine when i had the door panels off to put the tow mirrors on. can't be having crap sound

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy