1995 Chevy Z71 Lift/ Suspension/ Drivetrain Overhaul - Help

Samkissing

Hi!

I'm looking at doing a full renovation of the suspension/drivetrain of my truck and hoping to achieve a 2-4" lift depending on the route taken and eventually install 35" tires with potentially different gearing(?) for overlanding.

What would you do if this was your truck, and in what order? And what would be your top picks for a company to provide the kit for this? I'm having a hard time with this year.
Obviously Rough Country offers a few, but I'm not sold on their long term reliability (but I'd love to hear otherwise).

I'm a complete novice at this, and I'm trying to make a list of different pieces I'll need to replace (like leaf springs, bump stops, etc.)

Thank you for your help and wisdom!

20210701_111454~2.jpg

TwinDuro

Welcome Sam and sweet rig!

Hopefully I can help you out with a few of these questions since I have a very similar (albeit shorter, with a 117” wheelbase vs 141.5” for the extended cab, short bed like your rig) with my ‘92 Chevy K1500 standard cab, short bed.

The first thing I’ll mention is how capable these trucks are in mostly stock form with just a good set of 33” tires (285/75R16s fit with no rubbing what-so-ever on OEM wheels). They require surprisingly little modification, mostly just maintenance and fortifying a few hard parts to be very capable off-road/overland rigs in my opinion.

Here’s my rig at Moon Rocks in Central WA a few weeks back. The only non-stock parts on it currently are some extended travel KYB MonoMax shocks, the front torsion bars are cranked up just a little and 285/75R16 BFG K02s on GMT800 (the next body style) 16x7 alloy wheels. It goes everywhere I point it and has a ton of ground clearance. Future plans for include a 1” body lift, rock sliders , some more robust skid plates and a new set of factory style 4/1 leaf springs outback to replace the sagging 3/1 originals but that’s pretty much it.

3B1D704F-9AF6-44EF-A424-4FD3FD17C719.jpeg

After wheeling this truck around, I’ve found that with thoughtful driving, it really doesn’t need most of the modifications that I thought it would. I was also inspired by Vargsmetal’s thread where he takes his truck, which is similar to yours some pretty wild places with a similar suspension setup to what I have:

What are you planning to use your rig for and what are your goals as far as realistic capability goes? These are tough questions, but important ones, because they can and will influence your build up.

As far as lift kits go, I would advise against anything below a 4” kit. You can lift the front of the truck 1-2” by just adjusting the torsion bars while still having plenty of down-travel. The 3” kit, like the one from rough country that includes a differential drop bracket and new upper control arms, seems appealing on paper, but puts the lower ball joint angle in an extreme position not suited for long life IMHO.

The lift kit I’ve been really impressed with quality of after looking at one up close (disclaimer, I’ve never actually used this kit) is the RCD (Race Car Dynamics) 4-6 inch lift:

It’s a high quality kit with good ground clearance in the front crossmember area. It does cost more, but comes with really nice components, like Bilstein 5100 shocks. The one thing to keep in mind with this kit is it does increase track width by 2 inches. This could be good or bad depending on what you plan to use the truck for.

The other high quality kit is from BDS, and is similar in quality and style and it does not increase the track width:

A lot of folks have run the Rough Country kit to good effect as well, but I understand your trepidation with it. A great build thread to look at for the RC lift is Spargmans Tahoe:

There’s a lot to go over… ask away!

Attachments

• 6EA89828-7E1F-45AC-9133-83F38F15AFEB.jpeg
    6EA89828-7E1F-45AC-9133-83F38F15AFEB.jpeg
    613.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Samkissing

Welcome Sam and sweet rig!

I feel like I can help you out with this question since I do similar things with my ‘92 Chevy K1500 standard cab, short bed.

The first thing I’ll mention is how capable these trucks are in stock form with just a good set of 33” tires (285/75R16s fit with no rubbing what-so-ever on OEM wheels). They require surprisingly little modification, mostly just maintenance and fortifying a few hard parts.

Here’s my truck at Moon Rocks in Central WA a few weeks back. The only non-stock parts are some extended travel KYB MonoMax shocks, the front torsion bars cranked up just a little and 285/75R16 BFG K02s on GMT800 (the next body style) 16x7 alloy wheels. It goes everywhere I point it and has a ton of ground clearance in mostly stock form with oversized tires. Future plans for my truck include a 1” body lift, rock sliders and some more robust skid plates, and a new set of factory style 4/1 leaf springs to replace the sagging originals but that’s pretty much it. After wheeling this truck around, I’ve found that with careful driving, it really doesn’t need most of the modifications that I thought it would…

What are you planning to use your rig for and what are your goals as far as capability goes?

View attachment 677069

As far as lift kits go, I would advise against anything below a 4” kit. You can lift the front of the truck 1-2” by just adjusting the torsion bars while still having plenty of down-travel. The 3” kit, like the one from rough country that includes a differential drop bracket and new upper control arms, seems appealing but puts the lower ball joint angle in an extreme position not suited for long life IMHO.

The lift kit I’ve been really impressed with quality of after looking at one up close (disclaimer, I’ve never actually used this kit) is the RCD (Race Car Dynamics) 4-6 inch lift:

It’s a high quality kit with good ground clearance in the front crossmember. It does cost more, but comes with really nice components, like Bilstein 5100 shocks. The one thing to keep in mind with this kit is it does increase track width by 2 inches. This could be good or bad depending on what you plan to use the truck for.

The other high quality kit is from BDS, and is similar in quality and style and it does not increase the track width:

There’s a lot to go over here… ?

Wow, thank you for such a thoughtful response and kind words!

I definitely agree with what youre saying about stock capability, I accidentally took the truck down a jeep trail in the Sierra's and made it really far before being forced to turn around, I was very happy and surprised with the truck.

My hopeful use case, is that my wife and I are looking at installing an ultralight pop-up truck bed camper (Ovrlnd Campers) and build out the inside (probably around 700lbs total, 1000lbs max). And currently with my fiberglass camper shell the truck sways around like a boat at sea when driving/turning. My thought was, if I'm going to upgrade the suspension to fix that, I might as well lift it too :) . So that's where I'm at.

If I remain close to stock, I'm thinking of putting bigger tires like you eventually, and changing the gearing. Do you have any thoughts on what things I should upgrade now to set me up for success with long term durability when it comes to overlanding this truck?

Thank you again for your help!

P.s. What are your thoughts on the KYB shocks? And why the 1" body lift? Today I saw a video of this guy who stuffed 35's into his stock OBS Tahoe and I was pretty impressed

TwinDuro

Wow, thank you for such a thoughtful response and kind words!

I definitely agree with what youre saying about stock capability, I accidentally took the truck down a jeep trail in the Sierra's and made it really far before being forced to turn around, I was very happy and surprised with the truck.

My hopeful use case, is that my wife and I are looking at installing an ultralight pop-up truck bed camper (Ovrlnd Campers) and build out the inside (probably around 700lbs total, 1000lbs max). And currently with my fiberglass camper shell the truck sways around like a boat at sea when driving/turning. My thought was, if I'm going to upgrade the suspension to fix that, I might as well lift it too :) . So that's where I'm at.

If I remain close to stock, I'm thinking of putting bigger tires like you eventually, and changing the gearing. Do you have any thoughts on what things I should upgrade now to set me up for success with long term durability when it comes to overlanding this truck?

Thank you again for your help!

P.s. What are your thoughts on the KYB shocks? And why the 1" body lift? Today I saw a video of this guy who stuffed 35's into his stock OBS Tahoe and I was pretty impressed

Sure thing and happy to help @Samkissing! What you intend to use your truck for with a lightweight pop-up camper sounds totally reasonable to me. That will make for an awesome adventure rig!

First thing and an important one, make sure to keep an eye on your GVWR and payload, especially with a camper, as it’s pretty easy to overload things on a half-ton gmt400 like these. I recommend taking a look at what your GVWR is (there should be a sticker inside of the passenger door) and then, with a full tank of gas and with you and your wife on board, weigh the truck (your local dump or truck stop with scales can help) and take that number and subtract it from what your listed GVWR is. That will be your useful payload. Of course, you will want to subtract the weight of your fiberglass topper as well, since it won’t be on with the camper installed.

For example, my 1992 K1500 RCSB has a listed GVWR of 6100lbs. With my light camping/adventure setup loaded (full tank of gas, food, spares, recovery and camping gear, cooler and myself with a softopper) the truck weighs 5240lbs, so I have about 850lbs of payload left.

Hopefully you don’t mind me going down this rabbit hole, it’s just an important one to consider!

Another important thing is what options your truck came with. Inside the glovebox, there should be a sticker that looks like this:

96851F9F-ED0F-4CC6-A19D-01AFB377AC13.jpeg

It’s called the “RPO” code (Regular Production Order) sticker and decoded will tell you all the options and features your truck came with, from gear ratios, to whether it has a G80 locking diff out back etc. It’s a good place to start to see what you need and what you don’t.

As far as the KYB monomax shocks go, I have about 3000 miles on them and am really impressed with them The ride is controlled, but not too firm nor soft and has worked great on the trail. In my experience, I’d say they were comparable to Bilstein 5100s/5125s, just half the cost.

The 1” body lift isn’t totally necessary for me, but more of an R&D experiment for a little more ground clearance for the body, especially since I’ll loose some when I add rock sliders. No one currently makes just a 1” body lift (Performance Accessories/Zone makes a 2” and lots of companies make 3” kits, which I’m not a big fan of). Body lifts are often scorned, but done correctly they do provide more clearance.

Totally! That is cool that he was able to put 35’s on his Tahoe. They do fit on these trucks surprisingly well. The key is a stock-offset wheel and going with a narrower tire. 285/75R17s (33.8”) are also an option, which is a good interim size between the 285/75R16 (32.8”) and a true 35” tire (which is around 34.7”).

315/75R16’s (34.6”) will fit on these trucks but at full steering lock, often rub the frame rails. Here’s a gentleman’s truck from the GMT400 forum with 315/75R16s. The truck is bone stock other then a few cranks up on the torsion bars. Ground clearance for days, but definetly a tight fit in the wheel wells.

0DD48E0B-8B66-45DB-8425-D64DFE4F69E2.jpeg

676CC060-2EDC-43C0-A4C6-5F25FD9E0339.jpeg

Kenda does make a narrow 35” tire that would alleviate some of this problem but requires a 17” wheel. It’s the Kenda Klever RT in 35x10.50R17.

Last edited:

TwinDuro

Also, something to keep in mind with all the 4-6” lift kits is that they drop the torsion bars so they’re now exposed instead of flush with the frame rail. Even though you’re gaining lift, you’re decreasing breakover angle. Here’s what I mean using a 6” RC lift for example. It’s not a bad thing, just something to be aware of.

06EBA178-8AB5-421A-A046-E267E9CCEAD9.jpeg

There’s a company called Realift that sells torsion bar relocators that tuck them back up into the frame, but I don’t know if the company is still in business:

I’m sure I’ll be grilled for this, but something to consider especially if you plan on traveling longer distances internationally (or even domestically) with your truck, the more “stock” it is, generally, the easier it will be to maintain and find parts if needed. There’s a lot to be said about a fortified, somewhat stock rig, but please just take this as a grain of salt as it’s just my opinion. Same with tire sizes. An odd tire size can be difficult to find if you need one in certain places.

With that disclaimer out of the way, now for the fun stuff, things to consider upgrading.

Steering: These trucks wear through steering components on the regular and checking out your current setup and making sure it’s in good shape is a great idea. If anything’s worn or iffy, new, quality parts like Moog, AC Delco or Mevotech’s TTX (terrain tough) parts are a great idea. Making sure the pitman and idler arm are tight as well as the tie rod ends is a good idea.

The “Rag-Joint” in the steering shaft also wears and can produce a lot of play and should be checked out.

The steering boxes are usually pretty robust and as long as it’s not leaking, you can leave it be, just make sure the pressure and return lines from the PS pump are in good shape and not seeping.

I’d consider upgrading the tie rod sleeves to some soild Billet steel pieces like these from Cunningham machine to give them a little more beef:

Cooling: Especially with a camper, you really can’t have too much. Thankfully, these trucks easily can take a larger factory radiator if yours doesn’t have one already. The core support will fit a 34” radiator although a junk yard trip may be necessary to get the fan shrouds. Here’s the direction I went when my factory 28” rad went bad:

8410D5DE-A9AB-47F1-9C3D-48CA8182495F.jpeg
The old rad is in front. More to come…

Last edited:

TwinDuro

Gearing wise, what will work best for you guys really depends on what tire size you go with. I assume you have the 5.7/350 and 4L60E 4-speed Auto?

There are a few variables, but even with your current tire size (looks like maybe 265/75R16s?) and hauling the camper, it’s hard to go wrong with 4.10:1 gears (I bet your truck currently has 3.73:1 gearing (listed as GT4 on the glovebox RPO card) for a good combo of highway crusing ability (with the 0.70:1 overdrive on the 4L60) along with a nice crawl in 1st gear, low range…

If you decide to go up to 35 inch tires, 4.56:1s might be a good idea, as 2300rpm in Overdrive would bet about 75mph…

TwinDuro

First things first , a big ass trans cooler and service the trans . Change all your diff fluids . Even without the 35s 1000lbs in the bed will be asking a lot of a tbi 350 .

You’re on the money @Smileyshaun and thanks for saying that. I jumped the gun for sure! Keeping the 4L60 happy and cool along with fresh fluids in everything is about as important as it gets!

Last edited:

Samkissing

Sure thing and happy to help @Samkissing! What you intend to use your truck for with a lightweight pop-up camper sounds totally reasonable to me. That will make for an awesome adventure rig!
Thank you again for all your help!

I actually appreciate the GVWR concern. I think that's very important, and a good thing because it will force me to be creative and stay light vs going crazy and overdesigning/engineering something I don't actually need.

With your help I'm actually getting pretty excited about being able to keep my truck basically stock but still creating a very reliable and capable machine.

I got lucky and my truck came with the larger radiator, which is awesome.

I didn't know about the RPO codes, and so I'll check that out too!

I have an appointment scheduled for Monday to have the trans and both diffs looked at, as well as the things you mentioned, and a general full inspection to catch things before they go boom.

After that as long as nothing needs fixed I think my order of modifications right now is:

1) Have transmission serviced/inspected
1.5) Look into transmission cooler
2) Change all diffs and trans fluids
3) Tie Rod Sleeves
4) Anything else I can find to harden (suggestions?)
5) Suspension Bump Stops
6) New Shocks (KYB Monomax's?)
7) New Leaf Springs (4:1's?)
8) New Tires
9) New Gearing
10) Posi-Locker (unless I already have the G80)

Did I miss anything y'all would do?

Samkissing

First things first , a big ass trans cooler and service the trans . Change all your diff fluids . Even without the 35s 1000lbs in the bed will be asking a lot of a tbi 350 .
Are you suggesting installing an aftermarket trans cooler so I have two? Or replace the original with a bigger one? Are there any you'd recommend?

Thank you!

vargsmetal

If you run in cool climates you'll still want to run the internal transmission cooler in line with the aftermarket. With the 40k cooler on my 4L80e, even running through the radiator it still runs cold going down the highway.

Like Twinduro mentioned, the lifts with the torsion bar crossmember drop are a no go if you're going to be doing heavy wheeling. I've bent the stock crossmember, I can't imagine how much of an anchor that would be if it was 4in below the frame. The biggest benefit to these trucks is they have a relatively flat bottom so even though the lift options are minimal, you can still manage some crazy obstacles with careful driving and spotting.

Sliders, skid plates, 285/75R16 on stock wheels, 4+1 spring pack (from a light duty, 6lug 2500) would be my build suggestion. Then go on trips and see if you really need anything else. The 350TBI is perfectly fine if you're not in a hurry (and you shouldn't be). I towed a 5k lb camper with mine before I did the 5.3 swap. The 5.3 is faster unloaded, but it doesn't have much more torque than the 350 did so there was no benefit there from a towing standpoint. It also uses more fuel.

Smileyshaun

Observer
They are a little spendy but if you get a set of suspension max torsion keys you will have a lot more adjustability in your front suspension . Or if you want to put some $$ into it you can do a coilover swap . Haven’t done it myself but heard nothing but positive from people who have .

Smileyshaun

Observer
I know it’s the next body style up but I believe the lifts are the same in design

The new style ruff country lift keeps the torsion bars in the stock location and the crossmemer tucked up quite nicely . And a set of 35x10.50 will fit on stock wheels with only 1” of lift . But looks better with 6” of lift . D6D65468-2674-4889-8568-8A890D50CD9A.jpeg17A15FCA-8123-4960-B3BB-8C787D71CBA2.jpeg86606855-E4C2-4ADF-ADB0-DD26CF944CEC.jpeg

Attachments

• 226ABD5F-3047-4DF8-A2F7-9F1E67F18727.jpeg
    226ABD5F-3047-4DF8-A2F7-9F1E67F18727.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 4CCA035C-B3F2-4D0B-8AA0-1C456155A5C4.jpeg
    4CCA035C-B3F2-4D0B-8AA0-1C456155A5C4.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Samkissing

If you run in cool climates you'll still want to run the internal transmission cooler in line with the aftermarket. With the 40k cooler on my 4L80e, even running through the radiator it still runs cold going down the highway.

Like Twinduro mentioned, the lifts with the torsion bar crossmember drop are a no go if you're going to be doing heavy wheeling. I've bent the stock crossmember, I can't imagine how much of an anchor that would be if it was 4in below the frame. The biggest benefit to these trucks is they have a relatively flat bottom so even though the lift options are minimal, you can still manage some crazy obstacles with careful driving and spotting.

Sliders, skid plates, 285/75R16 on stock wheels, 4+1 spring pack (from a light duty, 6lug 2500) would be my build suggestion. Then go on trips and see if you really need anything else. The 350TBI is perfectly fine if you're not in a hurry (and you shouldn't be). I towed a 5k lb camper with mine before I did the 5.3 swap. The 5.3 is faster unloaded, but it doesn't have much more torque than the 350 did so there was no benefit there from a towing standpoint. It also uses more fuel.
For a new trans cooler, I'm thinking of replacing the existing with this, Amazon Link.

I like your recommendations.
B/c of recent unexpected tire damage from Arizona lava rock I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of 285/75R16 Milestar Patagonia X/T's. There are a ton of positive reviews of the M/T version, and the X/T comes with a 40k mile warrant. Simple Tire Link

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179