1995 Two Door Cherokee "Last of the Old Breed"

Sherman134

Observer
A little back story on this build:
After working for a lawn company for two summers I finally saved up enough money in order to purchase my first vehicle. Having grown up riding in my fathers 1995 Jeep Wrangler I knew I wanted a Jeep. There is no better feeling than knowing you can go anywhere at anytime. My budget of $2000, along with my parents worries regarding their overall safety (ie no airbags) ruled out a Wrangler. I scoured craigslist all summer, after driving test driving two beaters, one of which had the front drive shaft removed so the owner wouldn't be "tempted" (yeah right). I had almost given up on trying to find a good 4x4 Cherokee and was ready to admit defeat and buy a 2x4 cherokee. I entered my first day of school without a car, while all of my friends talked about their new rides. That same day my parents surprised me with this:
Thomas' Iphone 1-29-15 008.JPG

Thomas' Iphone 1-29-15 016.jpg
Here she is after a good cleaning

Stats when purchased
-1995 2 door XJ
-AW4
-NP231
-High pinion Dana 30
-Dana 35 Trak-lok
-Upcountry suspension group
-225/70r15 Kuhmo Solus
-Front tow hooks, Front skid, Transfer case skid, Gas tank skid, Class III hitch

The previous owner was meticulous with the mechanical repairs, and spared no expense in maintenance on the Jeep. This was verified by my mechanic who remembers working on my Jeep when the previous owner still owned it. However, he was not the best in maintaining much outside of the mechanical portions. He lived on the beach resulting in random rust spots, and a good bit of rot on the passenger floorboard. luckily there was no rust on the structural components. The Jeep was purchased for towing, and had obviously been used in its intended role. The rear springs, despite their extra strength had sagged slightly; however, it still sat half an inch over the factory height of an XJ without the upcountry package.

The next problem to be addressed was a serious case of death wobble, and the out of adjustment brakes. $150 later and she could now cruise 75 mph down the highway and stop without the pedal being pressed to the floor.

She stayed this way for about a year while I replaced nearly every seal and gasket on that 4.0 (valve cover, oil filter adapter etc.) in search of a phantom oil leak. I also had to replace the coolant temperature sensor during this time.

IMG_0625.jpgIMG_0624.jpg
I hate rust...

Over winter break of my junior year I repaired some rust behind the wind shield. During this process I had to move her from my home to my mechanics garage... without a windshield. This was the most fun i have ever had driving my Jeep by far and it felt like one massive go-kart. Not to mention all the waves and thumbs up from the other drivers (I have yet to get that many Jeep waves in one trip).

IMG_0626.jpg
Who says you need a Wrangler to get that open air feel

By the end of winter break she had developed a quite prominent ticking accompanied by worse than normal fuel economy. I drove her like this for approximately three months, including on her first camping trip.

IMG_1109.jpgIMG_1107.jpgIMG_1106.jpg
The grey truck is my buddy's 94 Ranger 4x4 which was our transportation in and around our campsite, as well as firewood storage. The Jeep was the gear hauler... I still cannot figure out how that configuration was decided upon.

A month or two after i got back from this trip the distributor died. I limped her home holding the pedal almost to the floor to make 45. The engine sounded like a lawnmower and was shaking like mad. However, she still started up and i was able to drive her from my home to my mechanics. He said he would give it a tune up and call me when it was done, well after 5 hours of waiting he calls my father(not a good sign)... Cylinder 5 had almost no compression and was acting like the valve spring was broken. Upon further inspection the engine had dropped a valve, which burnt the head gasket.(yet the engine still ran). The head was in other wise good condition, but instead of fixing only one valve I had him go ahead and rebuild the top end since he would already have the cylinder head taken off.

I continued to drive her without any visible modifications until the end of my Junior year while my bank account recovered from the shock of paying for major repairs.

Coming up next, The repairs turn into upgrades! :wings:

Last edited:

Sherman134

Observer
The main goal of this build will be a reliable daily driver / overland vehicle (Warning: posts may be pic heavy)

The first of the upgrades was a new to me set of 31x10.5r15 BFG All Terrains. Since my friends father works for discount tire, i got the set of four for $175!!:Wow1: These tires were basically brand new and still had most of the nubs still on them.
IMG_1561.jpg

I Also had him paint the rims black as opposed to the rusted silver from before

Obligatory poser shots
IMG_1562.jpg IMG_1564.jpgIMG_1596.jpg

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
Great read! Love to hear the backstory on any Jeep. As an LJ owner I have a soft spot for the 2 door XJ's. I think your rig looks awesome with the black wheels and the all terrains. Good luck and please keep us posted

Sherman134

Observer
The next improvement made to the XJ was to paint the bumpers and eliminate that ugly oxidation while protecting the underlying metal. Looking back I should have left the rear bumper on to paint it as re installing it was quite a difficult process to undertake by myself

Rear bumper removed
Thomas' Iphone 1-29-15 088.jpg

The original paint proved to be quite difficult to remove, so i simply sanded the entire surface with some heavy grit sandpaper in order to provide a surface for the paint to cling to.

Here she is with the rear bumper re-attached
Thomas' Iphone 1-29-15 089.jpg

The tow hooks made the front bumper a rather difficult job, so i opted to tape off the front end and leave the bumper attached to the jeep

prep work:
Thomas' Iphone 1-29-15 092.jpg

I figured while I have the grille removed, i might as well paint it back to black as well. I used some black ceramic engine paint and it matched the other plastic trim perfectly. The plastic was pretty well oxidized, so no sanding was required just a quick wash with some dish liquid. The ceramic paint is also nice to have since it is so close to the heat of the radiator. However, if you choose to use this type of paint make sure you don't let any water collect on the paint for at least 12 hours, a drop of sweat was enough to leave a mark on this paint.

Finished product:
Thomas' Iphone 1-29-15 093.jpg

Jurfie

Adventurer
Nice...2dr 4x4 Cherokees are getting harder and harder to find! Great work saving this one; keep us updated.

Sometimes I'm tempted to by an XJ to have fun with until I'm willing to smash my JKR against the rocks without cringing.

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer
My oldest son has a really well set-up 1998 two-door Cherokee. I've always admired the Cherokee, had a 1988 myself, and later a 1995 Grand Cherokee. Both with the 4.0 inline six. All three of our Cherokee/GC Jeeps were excellent multi-purpose vehicles!

Continue your march forward with the project, it's a good one!

Regards, CW

Sherman134

Observer
The next upgrade I made in making her into an Expedition rig was to install a Cb radio given to me by my fathers friend. However, he also threw in an old PA speaker from his first car, SCORE! Sadly I didn't think to take any interior shots of the radio, but it was just an older radio shack unit. For an antenna I purchased a 4 foot firestik 2, and made a taillight bracket out of some scrap aluminum.

By this time school was getting back in session and the Jeep's life of luxury was about to end as she went back to daily driver duty.

Making new friends in the parking lot
Thomas' Iphone 1-29-15 188.jpg

I also made my first trip of many to my local state forest. This was a nice quite trail ride on pretty flat dirt roads, the only reason I kept 4x4 engaged was to keep everything lubed up, plus its such a cool feeling to manually shift a jeep into 4wd. I went out with my friend from 5th grade who owns a green 1996 Cherokee with a 4.5 inch lift and... 2wd but its always better to travel in groups, whether they're 2wd or 4wd anythings better than walking back to get help.

sign reads: warning end of road maintenance. This was the only section of the trail which needed 4wd, I used low range for the added control. My friend was able to dodge the ruts and followed me through the trail.
Thomas' Iphone 1-29-15 190.jpg

After this trip I replaced the old radio shack CB which had finally died and purchased a new Uniden CB. Since I was the first one to get a CB out of my group of friends I borrowed my dads old mobile CB so we could communicate out on the trail.Over the next month he and I scoured that forest exploring every legal trail we could. I would drive point in two wheel drive and radio the road conditions back to him, if it got too bad, I would shift into 4wd and wed head back.There were only a few we didn't take due to soft sand and lack of any type of tow strap. Looking back, going out without a tow strap was pretty dumb, luckily, we stayed conservative on our trail choices and stayed out of trouble.

here are some shots of those trips in no particular order:
Thomas' Iphone 1-29-15 205.jpg Thomas' Iphone 1-29-15 209.jpg Thomas' Iphone 1-29-15 212.jpg Thomas' Iphone 1-29-15 213.jpg Thomas' Iphone 1-29-15 216.JPG Thomas' Iphone 1-29-15 217.JPG

Sherman134

Observer
Great read! Love to hear the backstory on any Jeep. As an LJ owner I have a soft spot for the 2 door XJ's. I think your rig looks awesome with the black wheels and the all terrains. Good luck and please keep us posted

Thanks man, I appreciate the support! This Jeep has been an amazing project so far and this build thread is far from up to date, so new posts are definitely on their way!

Nice...2dr 4x4 Cherokees are getting harder and harder to find! Great work saving this one; keep us updated.

Sometimes I'm tempted to by an XJ to have fun with until I'm willing to smash my JKR against the rocks without cringing.

They sure are, hence the title of this thread, I have only seen one other 2 door 4x4 on craigslist and it was a beat up 5 speed with a crappy hack job on the fenders.

My oldest son has a really well set-up 1998 two-door Cherokee. I've always admired the Cherokee, had a 1988 myself, and later a 1995 Grand Cherokee. Both with the 4.0 inline six. All three of our Cherokee/GC Jeeps were excellent multi-purpose vehicles!

Continue your march forward with the project, it's a good one!

Regards, CW

Thank you. I'm pretty sure Ive read at least one of your builds while building my Cherokee so keep an eye out for imitation. :coffeedrink:

Red Zebra

Adventurer
I love the lines of a 2 dr Cherokee. Which state forest are you running? I'm a former FL native and spent a lot of time running Osceola NF (home town was Lake City) and a few jaunts to Ocala NF.

Carry on!

Sherman134

Observer
I love the lines of a 2 dr Cherokee. Which state forest are you running? I'm a former FL native and spent a lot of time running Osceola NF (home town was Lake City) and a few jaunts to Ocala NF.

Carry on!

This was tiger bay state forest, however, if you go out now, you have too look hard for an open trail as there have been alot of prescribed burns and trail closures. I recently went out with some friends who both have lifted 4x4 Cherokees and the only open trail worth exploring resembled a muddy river more than a trail. Both of my friends made it almost all the way down the trail before they got stuck. My little stock XJ got about a quarter of the way in before my all terrains got too clogged up to go any further, I was able to back out and go around, they were not so lucky... ended up having to call a massively lifted TJ with a winch to get them out.

Thanks, this build thread is still about 6 months out of date, I will hopefully get around to bringing it up to date sometime this weekend.

I'm hoping to make a run to Ocala NF while the weather is still cool. I've heard it gets pretty intense out there, so I'm a bit hesitant, you wouldn't happen to have any old trail maps would you, I've searched online and couldn't find very much.

Red Zebra

Adventurer
Sorry I do not have maps. Google maps is accurate as far as the marked forest roads but do not include smaller trails. Even a cheapo GPS that leaves breadcrumbs can help to get around for simple exploring. Careful..some of those mud holes will swallow a jeep! 😀

Sherman134

Observer
great story.

Nice rare truck.

Hard to find any type of 4x4 that old and still stock.

Thanks, I appreciate all the support; however, shes a little bit taller than stock now. :smiley_drive:

Sorry I do not have maps. Google maps is accurate as far as the marked forest roads but do not include smaller trails. Even a cheapo GPS that leaves breadcrumbs can help to get around for simple exploring. Careful..some of those mud holes will swallow a jeep! 

Thanks anyway, I have been using my phone for GPS, just not sure if the signal will reach into the forest, guess there's only one way to find out!

Sherman134

Observer
I wheeled her stock on 31s for about 7 months until Christmas rolled around. The tires worked OK for street driving, however, they were less than favorable on anything less than a dirt trail. Also, the upcountry package included a rear sway-bar delete meaning the rear axle (which had significantly less tire clearance than the front axle) wound up doing most of the flexing. Cargo capacity had also been significantly reduced. I knew I needed a lift kit, but i was on about a $600 budget for the kit and install. After shopping around I decided upon the Rubicon Express 2" budget boost. This kit included 2" spacers for the front and a short add a leaf in the rear along with 4 new twin tube shocks.

While waiting for the kit to arrive I took one last trip to tiger bay state forest for one last trip with a stock Jeep. They had just finished some prescribed burns and most of the trails I had run before were closed. We drove for about half an hour before we came upon what I can only describe as a muddy bulldozer path through the forest. The other two Jeeps were both lifted with sway-bar disconnects, one had a 3" lift and 31's the other had a 4.5 inch lift and 33's. They both headed down the trail slipping and sliding. I was the last one through and thus I was stuck going through their ruts. I got about 50 Yards in and the Jeep lost all forward momentum. I shifted into reverse and was able to back right out. The other two Jeeps continued on up the trail. I followed the trail on Google earth expecting to meet them at the other end. Well it got too thick and they had to reverse back out. They decided to give it one more try and took a horse trail back to the trails end. I parked at the entrance to the horse trail kicked back had a snack and snapped some pictures.

This is the muddiest the Jeep had ever been
Thomas' Iphone 1-29-15 222.jpg

Thomas' Iphone 1-29-15 224.jpg

Thomas' Iphone 1-29-15 225.jpg

Thomas' Iphone 1-29-15 227.jpg

And my personal favorite:
Thomas' Iphone 1-29-15 223.jpg

I then get a phone call... they were stuck. I wasn't even going to try getting back to them as that would just added another stuck Jeep to the mix. So I went to meet someone from their Jeep club and his lifted TJ to lead him back to where they were. After 30-45 minutes of engine revving and horns blasting, the first jeep gets out. No damage just a bent light bracket and a radiator full of mud. The other Jeep was apparently stuck on a log and the floors were filling with water. He eventually got unstuck as well.

All in all it was a good day, sadly I didn't think too get a picture of their rigs. But both had mud on every exterior surface.

Sherman134

Observer
Had my Rubicon express 2 inch Budget boost installed by a local 4x4 shop in early January. I chose to stay with the 2 inch lift to avoid drive-line issues, and to retain the factory geometry and parts. When it was all said and done the lift with the upcountry suspension netted about 2 3/8 inches of lift. The front is a 2 inch coil spacer on top of upcountry coils resulting in 20 3/8 inches of lift. The rear is a short add a leaf under a set of somewhat sagged upcountry springs after a month of settling the rear end sits at 19 3/8 inches of lift with a full tank of gas. I would have preferred to have a little more lift in the back to avoid a nose high stance when loaded with gear, but beggars cant be choosers. I may eventually upgrade to OME leaf packs, or replace the short add a leaf with a Rubicon express 2.5 inch long add a leaf. But for right now she rides better than stock has more than enough suspension travel for my needs.

No off road pictures yet but here are some from when it was first brought home.
Thomas' Iphone 1-29-15 236.jpg

Thomas' Iphone 1-29-15 235.jpg

Thomas' Iphone 1-29-15 238.jpg

Also had her "Trail Rated" (sorry about the sideways orientation)
IMG_2158.jpg

Gotta show off the brand a little
IMG_2159.jpg

Drove her for about a month without a problem, hopped a curb leaving school one day and she instantly resulting in a bad clunking noise after every bump, turns out one of the upper shock bolts had fallen out and the shock was now popping on and off the last remaining shock bolt causing the clunk. There was no damage done and the shop was really cool about it and had it fixed in no time at all, no charge to me.

After getting her home, I noticed one of the sway bar link bolts was way to loose, I tried tightening it and it felt cross threaded, luckily I was able to get it backed off and found this... guess that would explain some excess body roll.

IMG_2162.jpg

For just $19 I guess Ill consider it an operating cost

IMG_2161.jpg

In order to be able to remove the broken link I had to take the driver sway bar link off as well. Took a drive to a short trail by a lake to test out the suspension. I was amazed at the amount of suspension travel I had. I also noticed the amount of creaking was significantly reduced. I flexed it up onto a 2 foot embankment expecting to get a good flex shot of my "little" suspension lift , and was amazed to discover the amount of suspension travel I had left. Since this was the best off camber area I could find, I reconnected the sway bar and headed home.

The most recent repair I finished was repairing my 12v power supply (cigar lighter). Took it apart, cleaned the contact surfaces, reconnected the plug and now I can charge my phone while driving. This is extra helpful as I use my phone as a GPS.

Finally done backlogging my build, so consider any subsequent posts to be current information.

Moving forward, does anyone have any recommendations for mods in the $50 to $100 dollar range? Before anyone says gas, food, etc. ,the money is on amazon gift cards, and I have yet to find a gas station that accepts Amazon cards as payment. I already have a pretty good tent, two 30' tow-straps, one with a 20,000 pound capacity and one with a 5,000 pound capacity, an E-tool, Tow hooks, skids etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater