1996 Jeep XJ "Betty" Build Thread

Morticon

Adventurer
Been thinking about getting a Locker recently, would any XJ owners like to give me some input? I am thinking about doing a Detroit or something similar in the front. But any advice will be taken!

I put lockers in my jk. I went with arb. They are great and all but wished I had gone with some sort of electronic locker

stolz

Adventurer
I feel like when I've heard people talk about ARB vs some sort or Electric locker they prefer ARBs air locker system. Why do you wish you went with the electronic kind?

Mudicon

Have trail...will travel
I have a LockRight in the front of mine, and while it does the job...it clanks, clunks, and carries on complete conversations when turning on asphalt. Everyone inevitably turns to look and see what is breaking...

ert01

Adventurer
I have a LockRight in the front of mine, and while it does the job...it clanks, clunks, and carries on complete conversations when turning on asphalt. Everyone inevitably turns to look and see what is breaking...

What transfer case do you have? In 2wd it clanks on pavement?

I have a auburn ected in the front of mine but my brother has an Aussie in his and it's dead silent and totally unnoticeable when in 2wd...

Last edited:

Morticon

Adventurer
I feel like when I've heard people talk about ARB vs some sort or Electric locker they prefer ARBs air locker system. Why do you wish you went with the electronic kind?

I've had issues with keeping pressure in the lines. My compressor just turns on mor often then I think it should

Mudicon

Have trail...will travel
What transfer case do you have? In 2wd it clanks on pavement?

I have a auburn ected in the front of mine but my brother has an Aussie in his and it's dead silent and totally unnoticeable when in 2wd...

I wish it was quiet....running a 241 Rubicon 4:1 Transfer case and the front locker makes a lot of noise popping and clicking...but works great off-road.

Hunter67

Observer
the front locker makes a lot of noise popping and clicking...but works great off-road.

Same for the Aussie-Locker in the front axle of my XJ! Even in 2WD (NP242) it rattles and clunks loudly in sharp turns e.g. in parking garages.

Markus

stolz

Adventurer
This might sound dumb, but Im a locker noob right now. The clunking and rattles happen, but are they bad for the locker/axle?

raze1287

Been thinking about getting a Locker recently, would any XJ owners like to give me some input? I am thinking about doing a Detroit or something similar in the front. But any advice will be taken!

with a Detroit you will have to re do your gear (ie re shim it to get correct contact pattern) if you are re-gearing it any ways a Detroit or arb is nice. If you don't want to re-gear or go through setting gears a lunch box locker like aussie or Spartan is the way to go. They say you have to remove carrier which is pretty easy note which way the main bearing caps went and re-torque when done. I have managed before to sneak everything in with out removing carrier with lower numerical gears. I am running an aussie in the front of my xj and love it but I have a 44 front with hubs so no issues with popping on the street. What rear diff is in your xj? looks like 8.25

Last edited:

stolz

Adventurer
Well turns out it was the CPS that went out. Going to order the part online tonight and hopefully install it this week.

wreckedxj

The lunch box lockers tend to be noisy, but easy to install yourself and are cheaper.

My vote is for a Detroit, I have had a few of them over the life of my jeep in a few different axles and they were all quieter than any aussie or lock right.

The Detroit is more reliable compared to a selectable locker as well and will last for a very long time :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach