1998 Built 100 - 137k miles, Slee maintained and modified, SOLD

MTSN

Explorer
I bought this truck in July of 2012 when it was 100% stock and kept it that way until about 1 year ago. I wanted the ultimate in comfort and reliability with as much capability that could be gained without ridding too much of the OEM feel and function. I also always wanted the most knowledgeable and best mechanics working on it, so the only places that have serviced the truck are Slee, Adventure Off Road (Robbie/Powderpig), and Mountain States Toyota. Every time something needed to be replaced it was replaced with brand new OEM Toyota parts by a Land Cruiser expert.
small.blank.gif

Here is a list of the recent work done:
small.blank.gif

- Front and rear brake rotors and pads and front wheel bearings done at Slee on 11/14/14 at 135k. They also installed the Pro Link Factor 55 safety thimble and installed the URBs at that time. ($1,500)
- Full 90k service done at Mountain States Toyota on 4/24/14 at 130k including timing belt, water pump, crank seals, idler bearing and tensioner, thermostat, drive belt, power steering fluid flush, brake fluid flush and bleed, front end alignment. ($1400)
- Radiator and hoses replaced with OEM unit at Adventure Off Road on 4/1/14 at 129k, CVs rebooted at the same time ($650)
- OME 2.5” medium lift, TJM T3 bumper, Engo 10k winch with synthetic line, Slee sliders, Slee belly plate installed at Slee, and they completed a front end alignment on 11/8/2013 at 126k. ($4500)
- Extras at various points: CVT 79” Awning, Pfran LED interior lights and backup lights, 285/75/16 Duratracs, Weathertech mats front and rear and Husky cargo mat ($1,750)
small.blank.gif

I’ve invested around $10k in the last 13 months to make this truck as reliable as possible for a daily driver, weekend ski trips, and summer getaway adventures. I’ve been extremely pleased with it in all those capacities, and I’m truly impressed with how solid the truck is. Everything works perfectly in the entire truck – even the factory antenna still works great! There are no squeaks, rattles, weird noises, smells, leaks (including the sunroof), etc. and the engine is nearly silent. You basically have to look at the tachometer to tell if it’s running or not because it’s so quiet and so smooth. It also has excellent power (the 1998 is actually the quickest 100 until the 06-07 models (see table).
small.blank.gif

0-60 1/4 mile
1998 Toyota Land Cruiser 8.6 16.5
1999 Toyota Land Cruiser 9.3 16.6
2003 Toyota Land Cruiser 11.4 18.7
small.blank.gif

A couple of things to note in the first set of pictures – these were taken today 2/10/2015. The interior is in great shape as you can see, and the carpet is absolutely perfect underneath the Weathertech mats. The steering wheel is in amazing condition and doesn’t have the typical wear on the top of the wheel like virtually every other one I’ve seen. The little cords on the back of front seats could probably use replacing, and they’ve been like this since well before I bought it. The CB and some camera stuff fits in there great as it is which is why I never replaced it. This past weekend I removed the front hoop and little bumpers off the TJM bull bar to repaint it black, and I actually really liked the way it looks without it. I still have the hoop and bumpers, which will obviously go with the truck or I can put it back on – your choice. I took several pictures of the underside of the truck to show the lack of rust and damage, but keep in mind I did not try to pretty it up beforehand by spray painting everything black or putting some sort of film on it to make it look pretty. Most of what you see is dirt, and I would call this 95% rust free. There is a scratch in the rear bumper on the passenger side that was there when I bought, and I never repaired it since it doesn’t bother me. You could easily throw some touch up paint on it, and it would disappear. There are also a couple little scrapes underneath the corner of the rear bumper that most 100s have I’ve seen, and there’s a little dent on the passenger side behind the back passenger door which was from pulling a little too tight out of a parking spot. That too would probably be a quick and cheap fix, but I didn’t want to do that for the sake of trying to cover up things before I listed for sale. Also the third row seats are not shown, but they are included with the truck. I currently have a set of ARB drawers installed (the picture of the cargo area was taken about 2 months ago when installed the drawers btw), but I’m going to try to use those for my next project.
small.blank.gif

In terms of how much it’s been wheeled, I unfortunately have not had the time or opportunity to wheel it nearly as much as I’d like to have. Since I’ve put all the work into the truck, I have done 2 trails in Moab during Cruise Moab (Hells Revenge and Wipeout Hill), and 2 trails in Colorado (Slaughterhouse Gulch and Red Cone). All of the wheeling has been very mild and very careful – you can ask anyone who was there during Moab about how I didn’t get any body damage at all! edit: The MUD 100 series Photos thread :) I have a couple dirt bikes and a couple road motorcycles, so to be perfectly honest I typically take something with 2 wheels about 10x more often than the 100. In fact, I’ve literally never used the CVT awning, and I’ve never used the Pro Link thimble – they are brand new. The tires have 78% tread as verified by Discount Tire when they rotated them at Christmas as well.
small.blank.gif

I’ve tried to be proactive in describing the 100 as best as I can right now, but if you have any questions let me know. Probably one question you’re wondering is why I’m selling. As much I as I truly love the 100, I tried for a year and a half to get a manufacturer to build it into a pop top style camper like Campteq and the Ursa Minor E Camper. I had money in hand and could not get anyone to do it. Due to the height of the 100 with a roof rack and RTT, there’s no way I could fit into my office garage. I live in a condo building and have no ability to remove the RTT when it’s not in use, so that’s not an option. I recently purchased a replacement vehicle (JKUR that will be receiving an Ursa Minor J30 top) that I think will be a more suitable option to actually get me out camping more which is the whole reason I moved back home to Colorado 2.5 years ago!
small.blank.gif

IMG_4220.JPG

IMG_4221.JPG

IMG_4222.JPG

IMG_4223.JPG

IMG_4224.JPG

IMG_4225.JPG

IMG_4226.JPG

IMG_4227.JPG

IMG_4228.JPG

IMG_4229.JPG

IMG_4230.JPG

IMG_4233.JPG

int1.JPG

Last edited:

MTSN

Explorer
And here are some action shots plus one of the sunroof. Please note the TJM T3 has the hoop in most of these shots. You can keep the hoop off, I can remount it as is (chrome finish), or I can paint it black and put it back on.

IMG_4315.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

DSC_2395.jpg

new3.jpeg

IMG_1090.JPG

leaves12.JPG

new1.jpeg

IMG_2620.JPG

IMG_2721.JPG

IMG_1089.JPG

dsc_0578-jpg.944727

doubleroses

Adventurer
Hefty price. Nice looking rig but you could have saved at least half of what you spent if you had done some of the work yourself. YouTube is a great resource! GLWTS!

MTSN

Explorer
Ya but if I had done all the work then it wouldn't have been quite literally some of the world's best Land Cruiser mechanics doing the work ;) I also live in a loft building (with an underground heated garage where the LC lives) that doesn't allow wrenching, so I'm 100% ok with paying experts to look after the rig. I've built and wrenched on many, many trucks and motorcycles in the past, and I'm at a point in my life when I prefer to pay someone who knows even more than me to take care of the big stuff. I've also had 3 showings, 10 phone calls, 5 emails, 4 private messages and several texts within 20 hours of listing, so I think the price must be fair.

Rozzi

Adventurer
Great 100 series and I'm not surprised with the amount of interest.
Fair price and I'm with you regarding paying to have it done!
Best of luck and always great to see lots of pictures showing full details.

MTSN

Explorer
Local sale pending.

EDIT - Officially paid for and picked up. I removed the pricing info for privacy reasons, but if you'd like to PM to ask for details feel free to do so. Thanks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger