1998 E350 V10 fuel filter change/system flush?

Bigdirtygreen

Considering changing my fuel filter on my van as part of my check list as well. I've never changed one before, but it looks straight forward enough aside from some likely maneuvering issues getting my hands up there while on my back.

This Tennessee church van sat a lot and was only driven on Sundays. It averaged 2500 miles a year for 20 years. It fouled 2 plugs and coils the day I got it. I suspect bad gas among other things. So far, I've dumped some HEET in one full tank.

Any special tricks when removing these filters on vans? My Haynes manual says to disconnect the fuel shut off switch wire harness, take off the fuel cap, and raise the front end.

Is there anything else I should do while I have my filter off? I have an almost empty tank right now if that helps.

rex_1_mn

Observer
I’ve never done anything special when changing the filter. Maybe disconnect the battery. Obviously gas fumes are dangerous so watch for fire. You are going to get gas on you that’s how they go. I think it is one of the most neglected maintenance items. Keep the tank above a quarter and change filters every so often and your fuel pump will be happy.

86scotty

Cynic
Pull fuel pump relay, start van and let it starve. Doesn't take but a sec. Then don some rubber gloves and get under there and pull it all loose. You'll need Ford's fuel/AC line tools IIRC. I've done a bunch of them but it's been awhile. Good, cheap tool set to own anyway if you have one of these vans.

*Pro tip: Don't lay under the filter when you pull the lines and keep the caps from the new filter ready to plug the lines/old filter as soon as you pull it loose. It's still messy. Fuel filters look to contain maybe 2-3 oz. of fuel but actually can hold up to a gallon or two. :D

Did it on my 5.4 with 260K KM recently, cheap and easy, x3 of the disconnect kit, clean and blow out the filter fittings well with air 1st before inserting the disconnect tool. Some lube too might help, quite an effort to yard mine off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk