1998 E350 V10 oil cooler change questions

Bigdirtygreen

I'm working through doing all the 100,000 mile service stuff on our van before we start building it out. Working through the cooling system now and just have the lower radiator hose and the oil cooler left.

Has anyone ever tangled with one of these themselves?

Oil Cooler Photo

I've read stories about the need to remove motor mounts and lift the engine to get it off. If that's the case, it doesn't sound like something I'd want to mess with. Mine appears to be the stock one as well as my hoses and my coolant was trashed. I flushed it twice and it's still not that pretty. Trying to save my shop money where I can as I'm already looking at a transmission rebuild sooner than later. Appreciate the advice!

rex_1_mn

Observer
I can tell you that newer rubber hoses for things like the radiator hold up much better than what we were using 30 years ago. If the hoses is what you are worried about unless they show obvious signs of problems or are starting to feel very soft I would leave them be. At most buy a spare and carry it along...

Bigdirtygreen

Got quoted just over $1000 today for this oil cooler change. Every shop I've called seems to think the intake manifold needs to come off per their estimate software which of coarse adds like 4 hours labor. I see an oil cooler housing and a gasket that mounts it all the the block. I don't see why any of that would need to come off for just a cooler change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk