1999 Land Rover Discovery - Project Disco (re)Deux

garrettjmu

Well, I've been busy with my Powerwagon build, but I (dangerously) was on FB marketplace and found this beautiful gem..... so long story short, I now am the owner of a 99 Discovery.
1716384620555.png1716384629934.png

Modifications:
- Tactical 4x4 Front Winch bumper with Warn winch
- Mantec (?) snorkel
- Baja Rack roof rack

I'm not a stranger to Land Rovers. My most previous build was an 07 LR3, which I loved:
1716384503677.png

and I had two D1s in the past:
1716384529070.png
1716384559654.png

and that black one in it's natural habitat:
1716384590148.png

She's off to the shop right now. It sat for a year and has a bunch of broken interior parts, so I'll start sourcing somethings to fix up and hopefully nothing too crazy (CEL & ABS lights are on) but it drove fine.

Also we're open to names! I haven't come up with a good one yet
1716384714580.png

Last edited:

gabrielef

Full circle brother, this is where I first came across your ad when you sold your LR3 and I snagged those bumpers!

Gotta think of a cool name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garrettjmu

Full circle brother, this is where I first came across your ad when you sold your LR3 and I snagged those bumpers!

Gotta think of a cool name.

Ah - great to see you in here!!! I still think about that LR3 often. The new owner bought my trailer setup too and uses it very frequently

SC4ws

I’ve named my Rover “Sir Walter” after Walter Raleigh. British explorer who was key in colonizing the east coast, where I live. The color is also Buckingham blue, which fits since Raleigh was commissioned by and a close friend of the Queen. So there’s one possible path to take.

My kids sometimes just call it RoRo. It is a bit of a boat.

Another option is Project Disco (re)Deux.

llamalander

Oily Dumpling?
Blacksail? (It's a special kind of British mud)
Part/Whole?
Hard to say, we've hardly met-
Looks like a great rig though, lucky to be in the hands of someone who will use it.

garrettjmu

ooooh I like this one:
Project Disco (re)Deux

We'll go with that for now. I'm also trying to start piecing together what parts are on it. Looks like a mantec snorkel and a tactical 4x4 front bumper

Another fun fact - this vehicle was owned by a billionaire family (I won't name for privacy) but receipts of >$20,000 were in the glovebox 😂

llamalander

It can be a toss-up, some folks with money take care of their stuff, others can't be bothered to do basic things because the vehicle is disposable...

SC4ws

Nice build! Hope it doesn’t abandon you like Raleigh did to the Roanoke colony. Dropped them off and didn’t come back for 5 years. They disappeared in the meantime.
With a Rover, we all live with that possibility. I take solace knowing that Raleigh wanted to come back. He didn’t abandon them by his own choice.

Garrett, enjoy the name. I expect 3% in royalties as we follow along your with your build.

Jupiter58

With a Rover, we all live with that possibility. I take solace knowing that Raleigh wanted to come back. He didn’t abandon them by his own choice.

Garrett, enjoy the name. I expect 3% in royalties as we follow along your with your build.

Yes, I had a 96 and it was one of my favorite vehicles! But once I passed about 120k it was getting expensive to keep!
Enjoy!

garrettjmu

I swung by the Biltmore on our trip and considered doing a session with the LR experience team there. Anyone ever do it?1716900171497.png

gabrielef

If you’ve never been offroad and want to see what your vehicle can do, it’s really fun. They hold owners events too. We went to Carmel location and my buddy who designed the course was with us and gave us a private tour. My wife drove it and it was a blast.

SC4ws

I swung by the Biltmore on our trip and considered doing a session with the LR experience team there. Anyone ever do it?
I did the BYO version last year with my Dad and father-in-law. We all had a good time. I use the swag coffee cup pretty regularly.

As mentioned above, it’s good if you’re new to off-roading. You’ll learn driving techniques and vehicle capabilities that you may not have explored before. These guys know their Rovers.

If you’re an experienced off road driver, I doubt you’ll get much from it.

I did hear that Land Rovers get the run of the complex when it comes to parking.

IMG_7475.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater