1999 Montero Alarm Problems

Taylor1

Observer
Checking in for some insight into the alarm on my 1999 Montero. The alarm is some version of Code Alarm referenced in 4x4wire and mitsubushiforums with a single 2 button key fob. Lock and unlock remote function works on the power door locks. Battery is holding a full charge.

When I get in and turn the key to ACC, ON, or attempt to start the alarm siren blasts. It will still start fine, but it is painfully loud.

I followed reset procedures posted online stating to disconnect the battery, place key in ON position, reconnect. This worked once for me. The next day, the siren was back... screaming at 6am.

Anyone experience this specific scenario or have any advice before I start disconnecting the alarm device.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Taylor1

Observer
I unclipped the siren under the hood and still got the beeps, are there multiple sirens?

The red led push button blinks but I get no change when pressing the button.

I'm still trying to understand why it forgets or goes into panic after sitting overnight.

jaccox23

Adventurer
I posted on your other thread, but i'd suggest removing the system. It's easy and worry free for the remainder of the vehicles life lol

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
You will still get the much quieter beep from inside the cabin, you can't stop that one without disconnecting / disarming the system.
Have you tried holding the dash button down while turning the ignition from off to on (don't start it)? That usually does the trick. There is also a sensitivity dial on the shock sensor up under the dash, you could try adjusting that. I had the alarm in a Saturn get weird behavior once when the driver side floor got totally soaked once......sunroof leak. Once the interior dried out, it went back to normal.

Clutch Cargo

Observer
I had this happen with mine where my truck wouldn't start. Part way through fixing it, it would start but the alarm would sound. Disconnected the alarm under the dash and had to connect two wires that were hooked up to the alarm "kill switch". Worked like a charm. I wish I could find the write up on how to do it, if I can find it I'll post a link

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Wait, if disable / remove the alarm system, don't you lose the keyless entry system right along with it?

Taylor1

Observer
My understanding is that the power door locks and keyless entry can work independent of the anti theft. I have not done the removal myself yet.

The alarm permitted me to start the Montero yesterday, but I stopped locking setting the alarm.

bryAWD

Observer
I have removed the factory alarm following the posted tutorial a few months ago in my truck. Any new GM fob would make my alarm go off but not unlock the doors so I had to disconnect the siren when I first got it, so I disconnected the siren and lived with it. Then, I had to remove it when it left the wife stranded and ignition was totally interrupted, had to disconnect the battery to reset the whole truck to start it. I suggest removing the system before it gets too wonky.

Now it's back to a dumb Monte, using the key in the door, but all power features work inside. Also, if you are unfamiliar with using the key in the door, turning it twice in the door will unlock all doors, and unlocking from passenger door will always unlock all doors.

Taylor1

Observer
The alarm went crazy again yesterday morning. The intermittent failure may be related to moisture. Regardless, I removed the module, shock sensor, jumped start interrupt wires together, and removed remaining pins.

Neighbors, as well as myself, will surely appreciate the modification after three early morning battles with the alarm. Thank you for the feedback.

Taylor1

Observer
Another surprise alarm siren this morning. As stated in the last post, I disabled the dash module and wires before leaving the country for work Thursday. I tested key lock, key unlock, key acc, on, start, and no alarm when I left it.

I get a call just now, from my girlfriend laughing. My Dad put the key in to start it and alarm horn goes off again. The next door neighbor came out yelling when my Dad backed down the driveway to see if that might correct the alarm.

They were able to start it with out alarm once I directed them to unplug the alarm horn behind the headlight and over flow tank.

Not sure if I can blame factory wiring, dealer alarm wiring, or alarm component failure. Only consistent thing is it was another wet cold day in NC. Remove and disconnect everything!

jaccox23

Adventurer
that's odd. Yea just rip that POS siren horn out and never worry again. It's just taking up space at this point. I am gonna use the bracket it was on for a switch for some lighting under the hood some day (got all the parts but lack the time or weather)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach