1999 Tacoma Buildup: The "Other" Flip-Pac Vince

VinceDee

I finally bought a worthy truck last Sunday, and I'm looking forward to building it into a respectable expedition rig. It started life as your basic 99 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 x-cab. Miguel, the previous owner, swapped the IFS for a solid axle, then built it into a very capable rock crawler. I don't even want to think about how much effort (and money) went into this truck to this point. And I'm about to put more :eek: (for details about what's already on the truck, click here).

This was the truck a few days before I took possession of it. Nicely built, and a fantastic base for what I ultimately want. In an ideal world, it would have included an automatic transmission and power windows/locks, but I can live without those amenities for now.
Pictures001.jpg

I want this rig to be a comfortable road trip vehicle that can explore almost any trail on demand. In order to bring my wife along, the rig has to be relatively quiet and comfortable. I also have to be able to convert it to a Home Depot runner when back home. Finally, it needs to have the range and capability to caravan for days. That's a lot to ask for one vehicle. As such, I realize that I'm going to have to compromise. My philosophy with this build is this: Start with a very well done rock crawler capable truck; Outfit it so that it's as quiet and comfortable as is reasonable on the highway; Add expedition equipment and tools as necessary for each anticipated trip. Eventually build longer term amenities into it, borrowing ideas (and using a few of my own).

I've already spent some time during my first week of ownership doing a few things to the rig that are more to my liking, so I'll add new posts for those.

-Vince

ps: more pics attached

Attachments

• Pictures002.jpg
    Pictures002.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Pictures008.jpg
    Pictures008.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 165
  • Pictures006.jpg
    Pictures006.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 171
  • 2336222260101819652PNnPBF_fs.jpg
    2336222260101819652PNnPBF_fs.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

CYi5

Explorer
I remember reading Miguel's buildup on TTORA awhile back, great truck! I wish it was for sale when I was looking last year. I think a SAS'd tacoma on 35's is a reliable platform for expedition use. Getting up to 37's is pushing it, but I think just switching to some 35" AT's will help with your comfort/noise levels.

Are you planning on adding the Flip-Pac to this truck? edit: NM, answered my own question..can't wait to see it installed!! :)

Last edited:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I'd say getting a second set of wheels with A/T's or even A/S for non-expo duties would be good. And perhaps lining the interior with sound insulation might be a good idea. Looks like a sweet truck, though.

VinceDee

The day I bought it we drove around the Bay Area to feel the truck out. We weren't overly thrilled with the 35" BFG Mudders on the highway. Since the truck has 5.29 gearing, it almost requires 35" tires to get up to highway speeds (with it's 2.7L 4-cylinder engine), but something about driving on these is just noisy. Yes, I know mudders are always noisier, but there was something going on with the rev range of the engine that was really loud. Also, these 35's really stick out to the sides enough to make me worry about getting tagged by the CHP for it. So, the first order of business was to try on some 33" BFG A/Ts that I happen to have.

Here's are the 35's before the swap...
tacosidebefore.jpg

...and after. Both sets of tires were 12.50...but there was a 3" difference in real overall width per side! That's interesting. Look at the edge of the front bumper to see the difference.
tacosideafter.jpg

From the rear before...
tacobackbefore.jpg

...and after.
tacobackafter.jpg

Honestly, I kind of prefer the aggressive look (and offroad functionality) of the Mud Terrains, but the ATs change the character of the ride completely. It's not nearly as noisy, the engine revs normally, and there is more power on tap (as one might expect with what amounts to a "gearing" change like this). The only bad news is that the 5.29 gears limit the effective highway speed to about 60mph at 2500 rpm. 3000rpm is normally my shift point, so even trying to go 65 brings me up to my shift point. That's not good. Driving everywhere at 60mph would be fine offroad, but not on I-5.

I may need 35" ATs.

-Vince

VinceDee

The next thing that had to change was the lack of a bedliner:

taconoliner.jpg

I had bought a liner a couple of days before taking possession of the truck (from a guy who was trading his Tacoma in to the Cash for Clunkers program. He was trying to sell everything off of it that he could before taking it in).

Miguel had a very nice toolbox bolted to the bed, but it would be in the way of what I need to do, so I unbolted it and dropped the new liner into place
tacoliner.jpg

I'll probably find a way to use the toolbox in the cab of the truck, behind the seat.

-Vince

VinceDee

One thing I learned right away about the Flip-Pac: Change your radio antenna. After bending my first antenna by flipping the pac over on it (on a Ford Ranger), I now make it a first step to swap the existing antenna for a "shorty" rubber antenna (bought at any auto parts place). These are also good for offroad use for obvious reasons.

Then came the big moment: transfer the Flip-Pac from my old truck to my new one. The Pac weighs in at a cool 250lbs, so it's not something you normally just "pick up" and move. I told my wife I was going to hire a couple of guys to help me move it over, but that idea always interferes with convenience, so I moved it myself. I backed the two trucks up to each other so the tailgates were end-to-end; Unbolted the Flip-Pac from the old truck; then (and DO NOT try this at home, lest you give yourself a hernia), bent over in the middle of the closed Pac, stood up enough to lift it with my back, slowly (and painfully) turned it around; walked it over to the new truck, stepping up to the tailgate of the taller vehicle; and lowered the Flip-Pac down onto it. This was a VERY difficult (and probably quite stupid) thing to do by myself. Any number of things could have gone wrong, including injury. Alas, I got it done, aligned the Flip-Pac onto the new truck, installed larger, upgraded bolts to fasten it into place, and...tada:

99taco.jpg

How about an animated gif of the truck with the newly installed Flip-Pac (2.4mb):
http://www.grannymary.com/pictures/99tacoma/99taco.gif

-Vince

VinceDee

Didn't feel like a roll on or spray in?

I've had pretty good luck with plastic liners. They are removable, easy to install, very durable, it's easy to slide items in and out of the truck. Of course, that last point can also be a bad thing, but the way I deal with that is that I use that diamond-plate looking foam rubber floor squares (basically, this stuff) cut to size. It prevents most slippage, and makes the floor easy to walk on when the Flip-Pac is opened.

-Vince

insideflippac.jpg

Last edited:

4x4mike

Adventurer
Nice setup. What springs are you running? Is it possible to lower it a bit so it rides nice with the AT's? I know the 35's are nice but do you require them?

VinceDee

And finally, I installed some Bushwacker OEM-style fender flares. These certainly will help mitigate the 33" tires, but we'll see what they do with the 35's. What I like about these flares is that they are easy to bolt on or take off, with no drilling or damage to the body of the truck.

tacoflares1.jpg

tacoflares2.jpg

So that brings everything done to this rig up to date. Sorry for the flurry of posting, but I want this to be a progressive build up thread, with separate posts for each thing I do to the truck.

-Vince

VinceDee

Nice setup. What springs are you running? Is it possible to lower it a bit so it rides nice with the AT's? I know the 35's are nice but do you require them?

Rancho 44044's up front and 63" Chevy's in the back (kind of a standard rock-crawling setup). Bilstein 5150/5100 14" travel shocks. About the only thing I could do to lower the suspension would be swapping shackles for shorter ones. I'm not sure that would make enough difference. I'm hesitant to remove leafs from the spring packs, especially with the truck carrying a semi-permanent shell on it (not to mention the extra weight when fully loaded).

-Vince

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
WOW Vincedee, that is an awesome score! Mr. Miguel did a heck of job with it and your touches really set it off. I recall seeing it on TTORA as well. (Even though I have a corral full of GM products, I am a Toyota fan as well).

I would love to have my old ’90 Hilux back outfitted with a Flip-pac. Heck, I’d be happy with a Flip-Pac for my K10.

sami

Explorer
I'd be willing to bet that the wheels on the 35's were 10" wide, or the backspacing is different than the wheels on the 33's.. Or both.. But the differences that you see most likely have little to do with the tires themselves.

I'm loving it. Did you notice much of a difference in the street/HWY handling of the truck after the additional weight of the flip-pac?

BTW, the flares look great.

D

Deleted member 9101

Anybody else notice the bottle opener on the front bumper? I love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh