1st gen Disco questions

ruditron

Adventurer
the three doors were never imported to the U.S. the first NAS discos were the 5 door models which started in '94 1/2 im interested in the legality of the early 3 doors after the 25 year mark is up. does anyone know what the stipulations on import are?

emissions shouldn't be an issue with the mechanical diesels, i think it might get expensive converting to DOT safety standards. such as DOT approved windows, seat belts, and all the other little pieces especially if it has to be done by a certified shop.

anyone have any first hand knowledge with this?

Bullseye240

Adventurer
That's what I'm finding out so far on my search. Getting one converted to U.S. Safety specs. Also why I'm probably going to do as previously suggested and buy one here in good mechanical shape and then just strip it and send the engine, trans, transfer and fuel related items back home with my household goods. Then swap it into a good shell back in the states.

So lets change the direction of this thread that way and let all the Rover Experts tell me what driveline items to look for and in what vehicle so I can get them all in place by the time I leave here. I'm thinking of going the diesel auto route as I'm very comfortable with an auto off road, more so than a clutch and 5 speed. won't completly rule it out just will lean that way for now.

Ruditron, as far as the 25 year mark, from what I have learned so far once it hits that mark it's fair game as long as you can pay the shipping and associated import duties and fees. Registration is left up to the individual states to handle.

Bullseye240

Adventurer
You mean LHD not RHD.

Take it from me, just because the vehicle might be RHD doesn't mean some crazy Italian wouldn't try to drive it from the left. After all they drive on whichever side of the road they is most convenient for them.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I would do some careful research to see what TMO and their shippers will allow as far as engines included in your household goods. They can be very strict at times- even in a CONUS move. You may have to put it in a container yourself on your own dime. Still, having a couple years experience with a powerplant before you transplant it into another chassis is always nice.

Given the relative prices on the NA market for Discos, Rangies, and Land Rover 90s/110s (the Defender was a later designation), I would go with a good 25 year old, 5 door 110 with a solid chassis and bulkhead. It's an iconic vehicle that will likely never depreciate like the Discos and Rangies have. Mind you, that says more about the relative appeal (looks mostly) of the platform than a comment on capability.

Bullseye240

Adventurer
Well with people crating up Fiat 500's, Mini Coopers and motorcycles in their household goods I don't think some drive train parts should be an issue. All of the above mentioned could still have fuel/oil in them that could leak. If I do this I'm leaning towards just buying individual parts, rebuilding them and then shipping them home with the rest of our stuff. but I will check with them to be certain before I try. If all else fails their is always a Space-A shipping port in Signorelli I could try. Probably my best bet anyway. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues