1st Gen Tacoma K&N Filter: Good or Bad (and a list of things to hopefully come soon)

native_nate

1st Gen Tacoma K&N Filter: Good or Bad (and a list of things to hopefully come soon)

I've seen conflicting information in a few places about these filters. I bought my '03 used a while back and it came with the K&N already installed. Unfortunately, I (as a young college kid at the time) didn't have the presence of mind to see if the previous owner had the stock system. Needless to say, I've been living overseas for the last 2 years and have been making a laundry list of things to do to the truck once back in the States. (It's still in great shape and has been driven somewhat consistently by family members back home.) So far the list is as follows:

-OME Heavy Duty Suspension
-Some sort of tube bumpers F+R (there are just so many out there)
-Dual Battery Setup
-Compressor
-Potentially a snorkel (which will definitely mean scrapping the K&N)

I guess my real question is whether or not some of you with way more Tacoma knowledge and experience have any insight into the use of the K&N system.
Cheers.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Is it a K&N kit with the filter relocation or just a K&N element.

I have been staying away from the K&N stuff. Their filter elements seem to let more dirt into the engine than stock-style paper or gauze filters and the filter oil has a way of fouling up the MAF sensor.

The relocation kit, while supposedly allowing more airflow than the stock intake, omits the "cold air" intake of the stock system, pulling in warm air from the engine compartment instead. Under normal use, I feel that drawing cooler air from outside is more beneficial (it helps the combustion burn efficiency) than higher-flow, warm air, unless you do most of your driving at wide-open-throttle.

I've long since stopped using the K&N filter and have gone back to stock-style filters in the stock airbox.

CavTrooper

Observer
Never had a problem I've had them in my 1996Ford Ranger, 2005 Toyota Tacoma, and now in my 2003 Toyota Tacoma. Be diligent and clean the filter and oil it properly. Too much oil you get build up of debris and potential fouling of sensors.

Is it a K&N kit with the filter relocation or just a K&N element.

I have been staying away from the K&N stuff. Their filter elements seem to let more dirt into the engine than stock-style paper or gauze filters and the filter oil has a way of fouling up the MAF sensor.

The relocation kit, while supposedly allowing more airflow than the stock intake, omits the "cold air" intake of the stock system, pulling in warm air from the engine compartment instead. Under normal use, I feel that drawing cooler air from outside is more beneficial (it helps the combustion burn efficiency) than higher-flow, warm air, unless you do most of your driving at wide-open-throttle.

I've long since stopped using the K&N filter and have gone back to stock-style filters in the stock airbox.

X2!!! I have had mine since new and put a K&N shortly after purchase. Caused MAF issues and was a dust magnet offroad.

Clutch

<---Pass
I went back to the stock Toyota element.

Same issues as Washington Taco. No matter how lightly I oiled the element.

Ronman737

I have a K&N drop in filter and I really wish I had just gone with an AFE pro dry. I have never heard any complaints about those.

native_nate

Thanks for all of the advice. I don't have the stock system (never got it when I bought the truck.) Are there any filters that could replace the K&N, or is it probably better to just get a stock air intake and scrap the whole K&N setup?

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks for all of the advice. I don't have the stock system (never got it when I bought the truck.) Are there any filters that could replace the K&N, or is it probably better to just get a stock air intake and scrap the whole K&N setup?

I prefer the stock system over an open style like the K&N, as the K&N will suck hot air in from the engine bay, it will stay cleaner longer, plus less chance of getting water in.

Go the salvage yard, you should have no problem finding a stock unit.

native_nate

I prefer the stock system over an open style like the K&N, as the K&N will suck hot air in from the engine bay, it will stay cleaner longer, plus less chance of getting water in.

Go the salvage yard, you should have no problem finding a stock unit.

Thanks. That sounds like the best option.

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks. That sounds like the best option.

You're welcome.

I think it comes down to what works or doesn't work for people...some guys love the K&N setup, others don't. You don't truly know for yourself, until you
use the products.

I thought it would be like the air-filters on my dirt bikes, but it tended to create issues for me. Sometimes stock is better (sometimes not ;) ).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven