1st Generation 4Runner - Good Project Vehicle?

Tacoted

I'm debating purchasing a 1st Gen 4Runner as a project vehicle.

I've done a bit of reading and think I want an '85 4WD fuel injected 5 speed manual truck. Not too concerned about the condition of the interior or paint because I want to use this as a learning experience about how to mod and do my own mechanical work.

I did body work and rebuilt the engine on a mid 70s HiLux about 25 years ago so I have some experience but I'm pretty much a total noob when it comes to electrical, transmission and suspension stuff.

Short term, I want to be able to use it for some general backroad and moderate 4WD exploring. Long term, I might be interested in doing some more serious adventuring in North and Central America.

What does the collective wisdom of the forum think about 1st Gen 4Runners in terms of access/affordability of parts (both OEM and aftermarket) and functionality of the vehicle for mild to moderate expeditioning?

coryc85

Great truck for what you want for sure. Lots and lots of aftermarket support, fairly inexpensive to both buy the truck and maintain it, and of course loads of info out there on suspension and other mods. The 22re is a wonderful engine, a lot of people might say underpowered, but I like it for the good gas mileage. I owned an '83 pickup, an '88 pickup, and now an '88 4Runner, and if you want my advice, I'd get the 4Runner. With the 4Runner you get a back seat, even if you don't care about the back seat, you'll get better front seat reclining/positioning (I'm 6'2 and pushedthe seat back all the way to the cab wall in the truck). You'll be able to sleep right in the back of your Runner. Sure you can buy a canopy for your pickup, and it may work fine for you, but I'd at least consider the 4Runner if I were you. And '85 is a pretty desirable year because of both the solid front axle and the 22re, which is why I'm guessing you chose that year, I think you'll be happy with it.

Good luck.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
That's what I have--an '85 EFI 4runner with a 5-speed! I've had it for 15 years and can't get enough of it.

They do vary a lot in condition, as you've probably noticed, but they're a great platform and have excellent parts availability. They have a great combination of stuff, with the gusseted solid front axle, strong W56 transmission, the satisfying little mini-torquer under the hood, the gear-driven T-case (easy to change low-range ratios), strong 8" diffs and basic leaf springs all around.

Getting a 4runner instead of a truck gets you that nice, 1-piece body with the rust-prevention and paint from Japan. The Trucks got their beds in California and the beds tend to disintegrate while the cabs are still in nice shape. The 4Runner bodies rust too...just not nearly as much as the Cali beds. Try to find one that lived outside of the rust-belt though and inspect the frame carefully (with a hammer, if needed).

I also like how configurable they are. You can run them with any number of tops (or no top at all) and they turn into pickups pretty well. Mine's had a truck camper in it lately.

They're just good fun to own and drive. They're something unique these days. I love how they bounce around and I like the feel of the manual steering (although power steering was an option or standard on SR5 I believe). Mine has the manual steering and A/C compressor removed, so there's only one belt on the front of the engine!

The main thing I find frustrating with it is the power back window--it tends to be temperamental and it needs to work in order to open the tailgate. I've pretty well avoided its use though by using a soft top (or the truck camper).

I love it! (isn't that a Toyota slogan from that era). It just makes me smile whenever I'm around it or behind the wheel. I can't imagine replacing it with anything else.

Any pics of the Hilux?

Last edited:

sburns6

I am about to pull the trigger on my own 4runner project. Found an '88 with a really clean interior, new seats, power everything works well. AC blows cold initially but then tapers off a bit. Engine was rebuilt and has about 7-800 miles on it now. It's been pretty well taken care of...except for about 5-8 square inches of rusting on the rear passenger and driver side fenders over the wheel wells and just behind the driver door and about four square inches on the tailgate at the window. I am almost positive I could do the repair work pretty well myself around the wheel wells and door. Tail gate seems a bit more of a pain. I could pick up an '87 with a little rougher interior, no body rust but some bad electrical. Thoughts on which way you would go if you were in my shoes?

surlydiesel

Adventurer
No Rust!!!!!!!!! Just my opinion but once rust starts, it is very hard to stop it. There are so few electronic bits on those trucks (compared to now), that I would gladly work on a rust free chassis and chase demons.

-jorge

hornytoad

Desert Geologist
Do It!!!

If you can find one of these "magic" year 4runners do it! They are really neat project trucks and going into the build knowing that it will need some modernization and TLC.

I missed out on buying a couple of these rigs in collage and kicked myself for it. One was the 85 solid axle and another was the 87 IFS version, both were sold to friends of mine for under a grand each. I tried to build up a Turbo IFS 4x4 pickup truck and I would not recommend those as projects vehicles due to the turbo complexity.

http://lcengineering.com/ - These guys know the 22RE and build great engines if you want to go down that path.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/ - Drive trains for the early rigs, these guy build the 80's pickups and 4runner s into great little rock crawlers.

Good luck with the build!

seanpistol

Explorer
the 85 is awesome with the 5 speed because it comes with a solid axle and I believe 4.88s! my brother is trying to find the same rig

TaoZero

I just picked up an 84 4Runner about 6 months ago. Was gonna use it as a weekend run around rig but then I sold my 6.0L and now its my daily driver. It is a lot of fun and definitely not what I'm used to. We had a 4th gen 4Runner and now we have a 5th gen. So the old and new look cool next to each other in the garage! I tried to deal on a new 2013 Taco, but they wouldn't come down in price, so think I'll wait till next gen Tacoma comes out in next couple years. I have no worries that the '84 will last as long as I need it. So my problem is if I want to build the 84 into an expo rig or wait and do it to the Tacoma. I prob won't keep the 84 once I upgrade. I fear the longer I have it the harder it will be part with!!

Tacoted

That's what I have--an '85 EFI 4runner with a 5-speed! ...
Any pics of the Hilux?
Turns out the truck I found was an '86. If I'm going to do one as a project I want an '85 for the solid front axle and fuel injection combination.

Sorry, no pics of the Hilux. It's long gone and, back then, it wasn't cool...just old. :ylsmoke:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Did you end up with an '86 or that's the listing that you saw?

I recommend test-driving both a solid axle and an IFS rig and see what you think. The IFS ones do have a nice ride and usually come with nicer interior fabrics/trims, etc. For general overland use and not too much rockcrawling, an IFS 4runner may be an even better match (more comfortable) than a solid-front-axle Toyota.

I assume you're looking at 4runners and not Trucks, but the fuel injection was only standard in 4Runners from 1985 on. Trucks still had the standard carbureted 22R until 1991.

montypower

Adventure Time!
I assume you're looking at 4runners and not Trucks, but the fuel injection was only standard in 4Runners from 1985 on. Trucks still had the standard carbureted 22R until 1991.

EFI was an option for the trucks as well 1985 on... It was an upgrade. They also had the Turbo 22RTE option in 86 & 87 (both auto & manual) also included a beefier transmission. I nearly swapped one into my 86 Runner. These older trucks become huge money pits if you are a perfectionist (be warned). Otherwise, enjoy them for what they are. Oh yeah, and prepared to get passed by everything on the highway. I had a double trailer tanker truck pass me on a hill heading into Colorado from 4 corners. But then I smoked a VW Westfalia and felt better again... 35s, Camping Gear and passengers makes the 130hp motor no fun on the highway even with 5.29 gears. On the flip side it always got 19mpg. :)

bjowett

Adventurer
While the IFS is not as strong as the solid axle, it will be a better suspension most of the time.... but obviously buy what you want, they are excellent vehicles that bridge the gap between old school Land Cruisers and newer more refined comfy stuff.

Tacoted

Did you end up with an '86 or that's the listing that you saw?
The ad actually changed. I have a feeling someone contacted the seller and asked for confirmation that it was an '85. Seller seemed like a decent fellow so I don't think he was trying to con anyone.

I've always had a soft spot for those 1st Gen 4Runners so, if I do this, it'll be a 4Runner. However, after filing my taxes, I think it'll be a bit longer before my bank account agrees with my soft spot. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333