2000-2003 F250 Superduty for a summer trip

haven

Expedition Leader
The Ford F250 Superduty diesel 4x4 pickup is a proven workhorse. In four door Supercab configuration it's a great vehicle for a summer vacation with lots of space for the family and camping gear. Fuel economy in the high teens is common in highway driving. And prices are pretty reasonable if you're willing to buy a high mileage vehicle.

Here's an example, a 2003 with one owner, 196K miles, $9000 in Phoenix
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=287196735

Now the dreaded 6.0L diesel was introduced in mid 2003, and since the 7.3l diesel is popular, ads usually mention if the truck has one. So let's assume this truck has the 6.0. Is that a reason to avoid this truck? I think that if the same owner has kept the truck for 196,000 miles, and has service receipts, it must be running OK. The EGR valve is the source of most of the problems for the 6.0, and there are lotsof web sites that talk about how to do preventative maintenance to avoid problems with the 6.0L without spending much cash.

If you want to avoid the 6.0L engine, there are plenty of 7.3L trucks on the market. But you'll pay several thousand dollars more for one.

What's your opinion? Avoid the 6.0 regardless of price? Or save some cash on a truck that has plenty of life left in it?

conifers4

Suburban nomad
Being a former owner of a 2003 F-250 with the 6.0 engine I will simply chime in to say that I believe the 7.3 is worth the extra cash. Diesel repairs are way too expensive and just because the truck is running good today doesn't mean it will stay that way. Sorry for this kinda useless post but I'm bitter since I'm still paying my last repair bill of $2,800.00 on my credit card even 6 months after I traded her in. Beware and good luck.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
You can find real sweet deals on gas Superduties with way less miles than a 7.3 diesel.
A 2005 5.4L extended cab with 100k miles can go for as little as $10k. Sometimes it's hard to find a good Superduty without the lame electric switch 4wd. I need a floor shifter.

2000-2003 gas Superduties with 150k miles are dirt cheap.

The 6.0 stomps all over the 7.3, but the 7.3 is no dog and has all the power a pickup could ever really need. The 6.0 is a maintenance nightmare and nearly impossible to work on. Mine blew up twice. It's a great engine if it's reliable, and if Ford would have put even the slightest bit of care towards long term maintenance. But Ford did not, and International can no longer assemble engines right.

Slam your hand in the door of your truck repeatedly. That's what spinning wrenches on the 6.0 and the newer Ford diesels is like.

Really, I'd prefere to have the reliability and piece of mind that the gas Fords all share. Even if I have to spend a bit extra on fuel. At least I know those can get me home. Or make due with an older 7.3L and a couple extra cam sensors in your glove box.

But, worse case senerio.........the gas engines are cheaper to rebuild.

I've got my heart set on a 5.4L or 6.8L 2005 F250 XL. A 2007 with higher mileage (150k) would be nice as well. Those might have regular spark plugs, but I know how to do the early 3 valve plugs so It's not a big deal anymore.

Last edited:

jronwood

Adventurer
I would AVOID a 6.0, PERIOD. Say what you want they may run fine one minute and all the sudden BAM, your dropping serious$$$$ for out of warranty work. I am a FORD guy thru and thru, I would not own one, I have had two 7.3's (one 550, and a current 350 CC 4x4) Bulletproof. You could spend 12-17K for a new engine. I would not take a 6.0 if you gave it to me. EVERY single local guy I know (10-12 people) with a 6.0 sooner or later EVERYONE had a major issue without exception.

Jronwood

Attachments

• phone 680.jpg
    phone 680.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5551.JPG
    IMG_5551.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

SilverBullet

Explorer
Wel, I guess I will be one light for the 6.0. I had an 04 (note, not the first year of the motor, that is a big factor I think) and it ran like a champ. Until diesel hit nearly $5.00 per gallon. When we hit a $700/month fuel cost, it had to go. It was our only vehicle and I loved that truck. Towing, off road, daily driver, it went everywhere and we drove it tons.

I think with the Ford's, if you use them, the tend to behave more. My Father-In-Law has the identical truck to what I had. He drives commercial motor coaches full time, so his truck sits a lot. He has had turbo issues. I towed al the time and had over 150,000 miles when we traded mine in. So I think it depends on use, and if you have the first run of any new engine.

Just putting on my thoughts, I would not scoff at a 6.0 again (in fact I am looking), but there are other requirements I want like coils up front for the turning radius help.

71WarWagon

Based solely on the badging I'd say with a fair amount of certainty that that rig is a 6.0. 6L's are ok if you fix the egr and oil coolers before they destroy the hg's and or heads. injectors can be problematic. It doesnt seem like too bad of a deal but I would want to see an OASIS report to see if it has spent time in a Ford dealership. once those issues are located and fixed, the 6.0's arent that bad. Would I trade my 7.3 for one.....not a snowballs chance in heck.

Juntura

Observer
In January I bought a 2004 F350 Crew Cab XL with the 5.4l. I looked at the diesels but they were too much money, besides I wanted an XL which are usually found with the cheaper engine options. So far I have been very impressed. The 5.4 moves the truck nicely. It tows pretty good, but it will not run up the mountain passes like a diesel will.

I recently towed a Subaru plus about 2,000 pounds in other stuff across the Cascades on I90 and did a bunch of other work around the NW. After 1,550 miles I was getting right at 13.7 mpg. Not great but cheaper than buying new EGRs and turbos.

I bought my truck with 76k for $11,000 at the GSA auction.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
I will take my 1999 F250 7.3 Powerstroke anyday over a 6.0 any day. with just my ZombieSeries Intake, 4" dp back exhaust with dual 5" stacks and a TS tuner with Tony Wildman tunes, i keep up with my buddies 6.0 with similar mods (except he is running edge tunes), and mine sounds like a real diesel lol

do whats best for your needs, but again i would go woth a 7.3, its got a better reputation and better reliability

here is my baby with my kids, displaying their 2nd ammendment rights.
DSC_0299.jpg

P.S. yes those are 6.0 emblems on there. they are coming off once i get the emblems i am searching for

Last edited:

jagular7

Adventurer
I have a 05 F350 CC C&C with the 6.0l. I got it at auction in Sept 09 with 112k. I've put another $3300 into it since for 'maintenance' on the major issues with the 6.0l. What makes today's diesel work is clean fuel, good oil, clean air, free-flow exhause and proper operating temps for the engine. They are designed with internal coolers to maintain a 'constant' temperature for the opperating efficiency. These coolers have issues depending the fluids used.

Clean fuel - aftermarket filter/pumps, Ford fuel pressure regulator spring, and Ford banjo bolts are simple upgrades. Springs and banjo bolts are readily available from Ford to provide more fuel (IIRC they are for the 6.4l but work well with the 6.0). Replacing the injectors is a PITA thing to do, so if you have to replace 1 on a bank, look into replacing the other 3 for just in case. Injectors run $250 up for stock 'rebuilds'. Labor for each bank is $300-400 each time. MTL, if you need to work on 1 injector in the bank, you'll be needing to work on another in short time. The injectors on each bank share the fuel line and this is usually the issue with the injector operation, the fuel. Adding better injectors without upgrading other systems won't help.
Egr system and oil cooler system need to have upgrades from stock. There are delete kits to simplify the ease (but also require further upgrades in other systems) or there are aftermarket products to make those systems work well. Other upgrade systems - once you delete the egr system, you will get a CEL. A SCT program removes the CEL (for the EGR) but you can add simple upgrade programs as well. Many aftermarket companies provide up to 3 levels of programming with the SCT. You get the SCT first, then get the programs via email. Download, install into the SCT, then install into your truck.
Ford stock oil cooler is suffice to say the least. With the egr delete, its best to upgrade the internal oil cooler. Ford has a better replacement cooler. Then upgrade the return oil feed line from the turbo at the same time.
Oil - clean oil is a must and you must make sure you follow the recommended maintenance schedule. To keep oil clean, you can add a by-pass oil filter system. The by-pass system filters down to 2-3 microns where as stock filter is 15 or so microns. The oil pressurises the fuel injectors which are controlled electronically.
Coolant - keeping the 6.0l cool is necessary. Stock Ford coolant is an issue. Replacing the stock coolant with ELC coolant is recommended. In addition, you are best to add a by-pass coolant filter system as well. The 6.0 is mfred in a sand cast. The casting will lead sediment in the system. The bypass filter supports maintaining the internal coolers as well as keeping the water pump happy.
Free-flow exhaust - most diesels like to breath in and out. Providing a freer flowing exhaust is a simple upgrade. Down pipe, cat test delete pipes, mufflers and even larger diameter pipes support this. The intake is decent enough and many change out to a better intake filter system. But others state that its not necessary for a near stock 6.0l. Same for the aftermarket turbo piping to intercooler.
Getting a good set of gauges and a recommended program for the truck's usage is good as well. Many companies now use a large computer screen, color/touchscreen example, to keep the driver in touch with how the engine is operating.

My upgrades are oil and coolant by-pass, SCT and 3 programs (stock, tow, and 75 hp), cat delete, egr delete, fpr spring (banjos not installed yet). Since I've got a rear fuel tank (C&C truck), I had issues with the internal coating on the steel tank. The saddle tanks are plastic so there really is no coating issue. So I needed a new fuel pump. When I do an oil change, I also change the fuel filter. I don't use my truck as a daily, just to tow my Jeep. I get 13 or so aroung town empty, 10-11 pulling my Jeep. I looked into trading, but I don't get enough for my money on the truck to get anything else I can use.

UrbanCummin

Diesel Mechanic
I wont repeat all the previous good advece the members have said, i'll will simply say that as a diesel mechanic of 5 years that specializes is light duty diesels (pickups) that most 6.0ls will see major issues multiple times in their lifetime. The egr system is only a small part of what goes wrong with these trucks, some can be avoided with good maitenance and upgrades and some repairs will get you no matter what you do.

I would own one only because I do all my own work and I get parts at cost but it definalty isn't high on the list of diesels i want to own. If I wasn't a mechanic I would not own one period.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
wow you get worst mileage with your 6.0 then my 7.3? hand calculating i am getting 16 around town with a leveling kit, 35's, tuner, intake, and exhaust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC