2000 d2 odd things happening.

g23.40sw

Observer
Looking for thoughts and suggestions. While driving at highway speeds and it stutters like it looses power quickly then everything's fine. Almost like I've taken my foot off the gas them stepped on it again and away we go. Also have had it not start once after a quick stop then the starter works just not firing. Checked under the hood everything seemed fine then it started back up no problem. Any thoughts on where to start looking?

JKDetonator

Adventurer
Sounds like an ECM issue. Extremely hard to duplicate at a service/repair shop. It will eventually burn out so it can be replaced. This has happened to me with a 2004.

Paladin

Banned
Could be crank position sensor. Can result in a no-start situation, but will not throw a code. Having it happen while driving would be rare, but I would think it's possible. Also would probably not throw a code.

Could be fuel pump. Ignition coil. Or any manner of electronic gremlins.

Paladin

Banned
Yeah, could be. I don't think the truck has a fuel pressure sensor, so it wouldn't know, wouldn't set a code. All the truck would see is a momentary lean condition, if the pressure came back it wouldn't set a code.

That being said, D2's don't have fuel pumps go as often as D1's. I might be worth doing the CkPS now, see if that's it. If it's not, carry the old one as a spare, you should always have a spare anyway.

fishEH

Explorer
Fuel pump starting to go bad?

That suddenly stuttering at highway speeds is the exact same thing that happened to mine a few months before my fuel pump went out. It only did this a few times on one trip. Performed flawlessly on a 1400 mile trip. Then it just completely died one day.

Also, check the wiring harness to the pump. Verify all the connections/plugs are good. I just replaced my fuel pump and it ran fine that day. The next day it exhibited the same stuttering about 6 times within a mile. Then it totally stopped altogether. Turned out the plug had a bad connection. I pryed the contacts closer together and it worked!

overlander

Expedition Leader
That suddenly stuttering at highway speeds is the exact same thing that happened to mine a few months before my fuel pump went out. It only did this a few times on one trip. Performed flawlessly on a 1400 mile trip. Then it just completely died one day.

Also, check the wiring harness to the pump. Verify all the connections/plugs are good. I just replaced my fuel pump and it ran fine that day. The next day it exhibited the same stuttering about 6 times within a mile. Then it totally stopped altogether. Turned out the plug had a bad connection. I pryed the contacts closer together and it worked!

X2. I first thought failing fuel pump, but loose/corroded fuel pump wiring could do that too. I think a failing ECU or distributor pack would cause the engine to completely stop momentarily or misfire, not momentary loss of power. loss of fuel pressure would be cause for that in my opinion.

Electrical gremlins are a beeyoch, that's why I went all mechanical diesel after years of these forensic headaches. Best of luck.

Paladin

Banned
Electrical gremlins are a beeyoch, that's why I went all mechanical diesel after years of these forensic headaches. Best of luck.

Because mechanical systems are never nebulous...

JSRose said:
I had a '93 RRC LWB I sold to Craig Spaeth. It got around 25 in town. My D1 started out pretty decent at about 22, but I'm down to around 18mpg.

Kinda disappointing for a Tdi. However, some of the guys I've talked to who have owned Tdi's say some just seem to run better and get better mileage than others. Oh well.

:coffeedrink:

g23.40sw

Observer
Have had the codes read again and nothing definitive. Surprise. Just out of curiosity have anyone replaced the crank position sensor that can give advise or instructions. It doesn't look that difficult but thought I'd better ask jus in case. Since that and the fuel pump were the suggested items to check. Ha the same question for that too. Any suggestions on procedure?

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Have had the codes read again and nothing definitive. Surprise. Just out of curiosity have anyone replaced the crank position sensor that can give advise or instructions. It doesn't look that difficult but thought I'd better ask jus in case. Since that and the fuel pump were the suggested items to check. Ha the same question for that too. Any suggestions on procedure?

Maybe something like this ?? ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3HYZsC9UGI"]YouTube - D2 CPS install[/ame]

g23.40sw

Observer
Thanks I did find this vid shortly after I posted the question. Will be attempting today after work. Thanks again.

DiscoveryTD5

If you have à diesel. Check you CPU for oil. Oil can be in the wiring loom from your injectors to the CPU. Strange things can happen if so.

Paladin

Banned

Pretty straight forward as far as I know. But my trans was out when I did it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh