2000 Golf TDI

Jrally

Adventurer
I'm based out of Phoenix, AZ. The car is still owned by the guy I built it for, only driver (except for me and another mechanic driving it around on the street). The owner also only has the one co-driver, his dad. There have been a ton of A2 Golf rally cars, most of them white and most of them looking very similar to one another. What part of the country are you in, and who did you co-drive for? The Golf is a fantastic platform for taking a beating, with minimal reinforcing.

-Jon

eleblanc

Adventurer
I co-drive Eric Steben for 5-6 years in the Canadian National championship, in a Gr2 VW. In 1997 we finished 3rd in the Championship. Back then Jon nichols was the King and nobody could really compete against him, he was in a class of its own, fighting for overall wins in a 2wd against 4wd eagle talon.

For a second i though you might be him, i'm sure you heard about Jon nichols.

I'm in quebec so we have great event around here, Baie des Chaleurs, charlevoix (now dead), quebec rally (also dead), Le perce Neige, that used to be in Pembrooke now in Maniwaki, The rally of tale pins, and the Sanair rally (tarmac event). We didn't have the budget to go west in Alberta. But most of the Canadian event we run in the east so even if we miss 2 event you could do well in the Championship. Obviously we ran the Quebec championship 1 years before we graduated to National (you have to earn your rank before getting your National License).

The famous Camp brulé jump in Gaspesie

main.php

Engine, 16V 2.0L gti with throttle body and programable ecu.

main.php

More of the engine
main.php

eleblanc

Adventurer
Getting ready prior to inspection in our hotel parking in Charlevoix (that was a awesome rally, almost made it to WRC) Started real pace note there also.

The VW was running the expensive proflex suspension from Belgium (awesome suspension) was it cool to go throught a rally without doing any flat!

main.php

More

main.php

Me in my work area ( i miss rallying alot )
main.php

the Sprongls enjoying there Cosworth in charlevoix! If you are into rally, you know the Sprongl brothers
main.php

You will find pictures from 2 events here, Not many action pictures tho.

http://www.ericleblanc.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1032

Jrally

Adventurer
Great rally pics. I certainly have heard of Jon Nichols. VW guys talk about him and a US competitor from the PNW, who's name slips my mind right now. Being a SW competitor, and a financially challenged one too boot, I've never even made it out of my region as a driver. I've crewed as far away as Sno*Drift though, close to your neck of the woods.
Our engine bay looked a bit more cluttered!! :-(
Engine1.jpg

-Jon

Last edited:

eleblanc

Adventurer
Great rally pics. I certainly have heard of Jon Nichols. VW guys talk about him and a US competitor from the PNW, who's name slips my mind right now. Being a SW competitor, and a financially challenged one too boot, I've never even made it out of my region as a driver. I've crewed as far away as Sno*Drift though, close to your neck of the woods.
Our engine bay looked a bit more cluttered!! :-(
Engine1.jpg

-Jon

Loose that stock intake, programable ECU and throttle body rocks, you cannot imagine the pump sound that engine makes with the intake we had.

With the programble ECU we could manage the lowering speed of the rpm, helping us manage best rpm position for quick downshifting (preventing from manually reving to position rpm appropriatly for quick shifting) very usefull when braking and downshifting at the same time ( no need to touch the throttle). The engineer in charge of the ecu made a mistake once and we totally exploded a tranny on a tarmac event, while downshifting.

Jrally

Adventurer
The car was originally built to campaign a stock class, with the rules pushed to the limits. It made plenty of power like it sat in the picture. The car is long out of my hands now. He did come back last year to run Prescott Rally, after taking 1-1/2 years, almost 2 years off, got 2nd place overall in it. It's as much the driver as it was the car's toughness.

-Jon

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
Nice vehicle Rob !

Glad to see someone using a passenger car for traveling and off-roading as well. :)

Keep the pics coming. :victory:

Trout

I've thought about building a mk4 TDI Jetta Wagon for very mild overland use. It would have to be 4motion (I'd never do another jetta/golf without it). There are TONS of parts out there when you start looking if you wanted to make this happen. There is a HUGE heavyweight OEM skidplate available for mk4 cars (to protect the very fragile AL oil pan), H&R made a coilover kit that allowed additional right height, there's a good amount of room to roll the fenders to allow for bigger tires... Unfortunately, mk4 cars are somewhat short on suspension travel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal