2000 Jeep XJ

The Cherokee is a great platform. I have a 2000 I’ve put quite a bit into, I have a build thread on most work I do here on the forum as well.

As noted $2000 could be steep depending on the rust level. Check floor pans, etc from underneath. I got mine for $3000 bone stock with the 8.25 rear. California Jeep, so not a spot of rust.

If you have any specific questions to the 2000 feel free to ask me, I have quite the experience with research in this year range.

As far as axles, gears, etc. there are a variety of options. I’d say completely skip the 8.25 and if you’re planning to build this more save up until you can do a ford 8.8 and regear at the same time. You’ll have rear disk brakes too (but need to have perched welded on, the track width is close so no trimming). My 2 cents.

Whaler

Adventurer
It's all about the rust... I did a ton of work to mend drip-line rust along my roof and it's coming back again. Once it gets going, it's insidious.

As others have mentioned: check the floor-pans, behind the upper windshield gasket, rocker panels (below each door) and behind the rear plastic bumper caps (near where you see the visible spot already, but behind the plastic) . Crawl underneath and take a good look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk