2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Agreed, I keep watching his videos in hopes of seeing trails where a stock Suburban or even a Subaru can't make it.

Jeep-N-Montero,

I don't see any videos of stock Suburbans or Subarus on the trails I'm on either, if they could make it there would be videos, LOL. With that said, I agree with you yes a stock Burb and some Subarus will make it through these trails with a skilled driver and I have seen my friends in a Rubicon back out because it was too difficult. And to entertain you and Chilli I'll do a day in the desert with videos of how the truck handles obstacles. Until then enjoy, I will be adding new adventures just about weekly.

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Here is another view of the Suburban actually navigating the trail. I shot it in 1080p and sped it up to 4x. I'm trying to figure out the best angles for future videos. It was 111F for most of the drive back and buddie's Jeep was overheating so he did not wait for me in some of the funner sections.

https://youtu.be/q2-YxrpypD0

Enjoy and let me know how I can make future videos better.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans.

Some fun looking shenanigans there Crazy. It seems the road got up to some decent elevation. Looks prettty hot too. Thank for posting up. Cheers, Chilli..:)

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Some fun looking shenanigans there Crazy. It seems the road got up to some decent elevation. Looks prettty hot too. Thank for posting up. Cheers, Chilli..:)

Chilli,

The road was an up-down roller coaster, not sure about the actual elevations but I know that from the river to the paved road is almost 2,000ft gain. We did hit 111F on the truck thermometer and coolant temperature started climbing up so I had to run intermittent AC to keep the kids comfy. My buddy in the red truck had to shut down AC completely due to overheating despite a new radiator, water pump and thermostat two months ago.

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Burro Wash Trail timelapse VIDEO

This week the kids and I did Burro Wash Trail from Boulder City NV to the Colorado River via Eldorado Wilderness and Black Canyon wilderness. Fun trip, lost a radiator hose 3 miles in, had some emergency trailside repairs and refilled 2 gallons of water, truck ran perfect all the way out and back. It was 99-101F the entire drive but very windy so no issues with overheating and kids stayed perfectly cool in the AC. Last 1/2 mile is extremely technical and the video's don't do it justice, impassible to stock vehicle or inexperienced drivers.

Waters edge1.jpg

I did some out of truck footage and working on editing it into the timelapse right now, will add it later this week.

Last edited:

FBJR

Adventurer
Nice vids. I like the follow shots better. Was down there a few years back, did the LV to Hoover to Boulder loop then back up to the bay area.

I live about 75 mi from the Rubicon and never done it. Done some pretty good runs though like Downyville to La Port and Blue lakes to Hwy4 (that was a good run)

Ivan

Lost in Space
[video]https://youtu.be/CRbkhLTHzzA[/video]

This week the kids and I did Burro Wash Trail from Boulder City NV to the Colorado River via Eldorado Wilderness and Black Canyon wilderness. Fun trip, lost a radiator hose 3 miles in, had some emergency trailside repairs and refilled 2 gallons of water, truck ran perfect all the way out and back. It was 99-101F the entire drive but very windy so no issues with overheating and kids stayed perfectly cool in the AC. Last 1/2 is extremely technical and the video's don't do it justice, impassible to stock vehicle or inexperienced drivers.

View attachment 400325

I did some out of truck footage and working on editing it into the timelapse right now, will add it later this week.

I love ypur updates. You're running what you brought, and GZF's about the naysayers.

Keep it up!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
VIDEO and Trip report: Ninety Nine Mine Cabin

Mother's Day wifey wanted to take the truck out on a mellow trip to see what $600 of parts and constant weekly tinkering is all about. We packed up the 12 year old, two year old and 8 month old and headed out. Kids really enjoyed their personal space in the truck and with the oil shocks the ride was still very smooth even at 35psi in the tires. And dual zone AC worked great.

cab01.jpg
cab1.jpg

We headed out to the town of Blue Diamond to find the easily accessible trailhead right off Rt160. Headed south on Cottonwood trail. It was a beautiful drive meandering in and out of Red Rock Canyon and Spring Mountains Wilderness. Then we got to the top of Cottonwood Pass and wifey saw a very narrow trail heading west far and up high into the mountains. Looked like a fun adventure so we headed up. (0850 on map) NFS rd 800C, which joined up with 800A. (the road that says do not drive on map) The hill was fun 2 miles of loose gravel sized rocks and 6-18" rocks everywhere in addition to the approximately 20% incline. At the top of the hill I saw an A-frame in the distance and we had to check it out. (0869 on map)

We continued on 800A and then 800 which is Ninety Nine Mine road to the mine and then that cabin.

cab2.jpg
cab3.jpg

Limited info on the cabin and mine can be found here: http://www.vegasunderworld.com/ninety-nine.html

cab4.jpg
cab5.jpg
cab6.jpg
cab7.jpg

We also explored the Ninety Nine Mine near the cabin, saw lots of 1-2lbs chunks of copper ore everywhere.

The cabin was used in 1942 as the base for the Carol Lombard's plane crash search operations. There are two trails that head north from the cabin one to the Ninetynine spring and the other to the Lombard trail and plane crash site which we did not explore based on our limited time that day.

After exploring the area we headed back down the way we came up. I did not bring any maps and did not have time to explore alternate routes back to civilization. Kids fell asleep with the gentle swaying as we navigated the same rocks and boulders back down. We finished the Cottonwood road trail to Goodsprings and headed back home on paved roads.

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Suspension articulation

Here are two shots of the suspension articulation on the Suburban. Front left tire is clearly off the road, I could not get the rear right up into the air.

Susp1.jpg
susp2.jpg

Should have measured it but approximately 12-14" rear suspension travel with the sway bar connected and approximately 6-8" of front wheel travel.

Have not measured approach or departure angles, however breakover angle is 25.2, factory 2017 2-door Rubicon has 25.8 breakover angle.

I am toying with the idea of running a front hitch, and raising the rear hitch 3-5" to increase departure angle.

usp3.jpg

Exploring desolate consumed by fire wastelands.

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
VIDEO: McCullough Pass Nevada

Mothers day adventure lead us from Red Rock Canyon to Jean, NV via Cottonwood Valley and Goodsprings. This time we continued our dirt road adventure from Jean, NV to Nelson, NV by going over the mountains through McCullough Pass. Video is of pavement to pavement segment of the dirt roads and the pass itself. Pass runs between 1:20 and 2:30. We did not drive around the dry lake beds. There are numerous trails to explore on both Jean and Nelson sides of the mountains.

We did make it all the way yo El Dorado mine and ghost town and continued all the way to the Colorado River and Nelson Cliffs.

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Most difficult trail to date

Took the truck down Rocky Gap road trail. Its a fun mellow trail with a very challenging technical rock section. Only other trucks on the trail were Rubicons with 4-6" lift and 35"+ tires. Got some confused looks from them.

rocky gap1.jpg

Working on the video, should be ready later today.

Last edited:

Ivan

Lost in Space
Took the truck down Rocky Gap road trail. Its a fun mellow trail with a very challenging technical rock section. Only other trucks on the trail were Rubicons with 4-6" lift and 35"+ tires. Got some confused looks from them.

View attachment 403224

Working on the video, should be ready later today.

Ooh, looks like time for some slider action.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Potosi Pass trail and Pioneer Saloon

No video this trip, went exploring trails on the north side of Mt Potosi which is southwest of Las Vegas. We started on Potosi Canyon Rd, continued pass the boy scout camp. Potosi mine and explored numerous trails off NFS Rd 582. Ultimately we made it to Goodsprings where I had time to stop by and grab a burger at a 103 year old Pioneer Saloon.

Several abandoned cars along NFS 582C
p1.jpg
p2.jpg

Found a small Nevada Department of Wildlife Guzzler. Small volume guzzlers typically benefit such target species as chukar, sage grouse and quail and have one or more 325 gallon capacity storage tanks with an 8x12 foot metal apron.. Fence material is often added to keep livestock, wild horses and burros away from the guzzlers.

p4.jpg
p5.jpg

Took NFS Rd 584 all the way to the end to find a closed off mine as well as numerous sport climbing routes. Saw a wild horse on the way up and down. Tight quarters for a 3-point turn in the Sub but we made it just fine.

p3.jpg
p6.jpg

Continued on NFS Rd 583 all the way to county route 53. NFS 583 is a roller-coaster of an adventure with steep but manageable 100-400 vertical foot climbs and descents. Have to go back again in the near future with the camera. County route 53 brought us to Goodsprings which is the home of Pioneer Saloon.

p7.jpg
p8.jpg

Great trip, lots of fun trails in the area, next time I go back, going to shoot another trail video.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach