2000 Tacoma Reg Cab

WillBeck

Adventurer
And obligatory Taco in the dirt...

DSC_0051_zps7intyxly.jpg

WillBeck

Adventurer
Got my tent!

Trip to big bear is planned for next weekend, so i'll be able to report back on comfort etc. This thing is really well built, and kudos to Tepui for having someone come in on the weekend to allow me to pick it up, and help me instal it.

DSC_0016_zpsk4n5pehj.jpg

DSC_0017_zpsrnsuv02n.jpg

DSC_0029_zpsfeghxgtc.jpg

DSC_0030_zpss7ba0lxe.jpg

DSC_0034_zpsfjiqn7jv.jpg

DSC_0022_zpsypjojc4q.jpg

mbrewer

mbrewer
DSC_0030_zpss7ba0lxe.jpg

You spent all that energy to build a rack, but didn't paint it? You planning something or figure you're not keeping it that long?

WillBeck

Adventurer
DSC_0030_zpss7ba0lxe.jpg

You spent all that energy to build a rack, but didn't paint it? You planning something or figure you're not keeping it that long?

We have some other stuff to do to it that needed the tent to be on. Of course in SoCal where it never rains, it poured for 3 days. All the WD40 in the world didn't save it. Just gonna sandblast and powdercoat when we finish adding some final things.

And it's just surface rust, looks a lot worse than it is.

WillBeck

Adventurer
This whole thread is great. I'm about to sell my 100 series Cruiser and am looking all over for a small Taco. Love these things. I dig bed racks that let the tent sit below/close to the cab roofline. Well done.

Thanks! I love the truck, but be prepared to live with an extremely small cab, lol.

98tcoma3rz

Observer
Picked up some new headlights. Was going to have some retrofits done by my friend Tony @ Bajahid.com, but i just wasn't feeling the way they looked on this truck. We decided to just stick with standard clear housings, and I'm going to try out some LED bulbs. Really cleaned up the front of the truck. My 15 year old lenses and bulbs were about as bright as a few fireflies in a jar.

The front ride height is at about stock, and with the new tires, and 3.5" backspacing on the SCS's, i was rubbing like a madman on the mudflap bolts. Time to raise up the front. I started with 3/4" preload. Will see how it goes from there.

Also took a few minutes to paint the ugly axle ends peeking out the center of the rear wheels. I want to eventually swap to rear discs, so i didn't bother doing anything special with the drums.

DSC_0302_zpsgx19n7sa.jpg

Where did you find those headlights? Are you happy with them? My stock ones are so yellow from UV rays. I've buffed them so many times. Thanks

Clawhammer

Adventurer
Where did you find those headlights? Are you happy with them? My stock ones are so yellow from UV rays. I've buffed them so many times. Thanks

I had the same problem with my Tacoma. I got OEM replacements from Rock Auto and am pretty happy with them. They were pretty reasonably priced too.

WillBeck

Adventurer

Got them from a buddy that builds retrofits. Not sure of his source. eBay has tons and tons of inexpensive replacements. I'd start there. For the price I wouldn't be upset if they didn't last too long.

mtnkid85

Adventurer
Got them from a buddy that builds retrofits. Not sure of his source. eBay has tons and tons of inexpensive replacements. I'd start there. For the price I wouldn't be upset if they didn't last too long.

When I did my HID retro fit, I bought the ones from eBay as well, can't complain about them...

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Sweet truck! Always loved how the first gen Tacomas look in the regular cab configuration. It's almost the perfect wheelbase for most off-road exploration. I looked for one with the 2.7 when I was "shopping" but couldn't pass up the deal I found on a pre-Tacoma 4-banger extra cab. Wish I had your shorter wheelbase, although the extra cab is nice for carrying stuff.
I love that you are keeping it "little" and working within the confines of the 4-banger. The Toyota 4's are some of the most reliable motors ever built! I can't wait to see what else you do to make it more trail worthy. I truly dig where you are going with your build. Mine is built for a similar purpose and style. You seam to have a good direction for your build but might I suggest gearing. I know it is expensive; but with the 4-banger under the hood, my 4.7 transfer case made a HUGE difference.
Keep up the good work on a truck that I would love to have in my driveway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77