2001-2004 Toyota Tacoma spare tire hoist recall -- anyone else awaiting more info?

4xdog

Explorer
I received my first letter from Toyota notifying me my 2001 Tacoma DC 4WD TRD is subject to the recall for corrosion on the spare tire hoist and I'm awaiting next steps.

Toyota note during manufacture the lift plate may not have been sufficiently coated with phosphate. Yup, ya think?
i-Bdwp87r-L.jpg

Toyota are apparently getting the fix ready and will send additional notification for a dealer visit and replacement. This is sort of like the frame corrosion limited service campaign involving certain cold-weather states with significant salt usage. Since my truck was originally sold in Illinois it's covered, despite now being registered in Missouri. Good thing, too, 'cause the vehicle spends a lot of time in Ohio, a ground-zero state for road salt.

Here' the original notification by Toyota to NHTSA from November 2012.

Last edited:

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
I'll have to crawl under the truck to have a look closely. Truck has lived all it's registered live in California. North then South. No notification yet.

4xdog

Explorer
From the original Toyota letter to NHTSA: "Only vehicles originally sold or currently registered in the following cold climate states with high road salt usage are affected: Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin and the District of Columbia. Only portions of the listed states may exhibit the cold climate and high road salt usage which can cause this condition. To simplify the administration of this campaign and avoid confusion, Toyota has elected to include the entire states listed above rather than a portion. Therefore, contiguous states not identified above are not involved."

These are the same "cold climate states with high road salt usage" as the corresponding Tacoma frame inspection/replacement program, IIRC.

Toyota notes in dealer communications on the recall that "Owners of subject vehicles in the remaining 30 states will receive a separate notification including details on how to obtain an inspection if they desire. Toyota will perform the same inspection and provide an appropriate remedy for those vehicles at no charge to the owners."

Last edited:

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
These are the same "cold climate states with high road salt usage" as the corresponding Tacoma frame inspection/replacement program, IIRC.

I'll trade days like today and yesterday and today weather wise for having a rusty part replacement covered. :sombrero:

4xdog

Explorer
NHTSA have posted Toyota's notification of their remedy to the spare tire carrier corrosion recall here as of February 11, 2013, with all the details about what Toyota will do. Note that this is Phase 1 for 2WD trucks

This document includes the inspection criteria to be used by the dealer to determine if carrier replacement is warranted. It looks like the rear bolts holding the bed have to be loosened and lifted slightly to get the old one off -- I guess they didn't expect to have to get to these again when the truck was made!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle