• 2001 Chevy Tahoe LT 4X4

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • 2001 Land Rover Discovery SE 4X4

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WickedZJ

Adventurer
So my Grand Cherokee is on the way out so I am going to be looking for a new rig soon. I have been looking around and the best choices are a 2001 Discovery or a 1999 Tahoe. I know a little about the tahoe but know nothing of Land rovers. I am looking for something that will take my wife, two kids and I on expo trips. Would the Land Rover be a better choice? Are they expensive to lift and make expo ready? Anything I need to look for if I go look at it?

S

stu454

How odd.

I had a '98 two door Tahoe that was totaled and I got an '01 Disco to replace it.

If you are handy and not afraid to tackle wierd problems, then a Rover might be okay for you. I say that loving my truck dearly; it's just that after owning a Rover for a year you will want to either set it on fire or get another one. Maybe both.

The Tahoe that I had was reliable, save a coolant leak into the transmission that resulted in a new replacement.

Downsides of the Tahoe are the independent front suspension that will make it harder and more expensive to left much past 33" tires. Also the t-case is shifted electronically; these are known for failure.

The Tahoe was a great truck; so is my Disco. Both are PITAS from time to time.

On the Rover, go for low miles and service records. Also, look underneath thoroughly for rust. Replace/rebuild the front DS immediately; if not you risk the U joints failing and taking your transmission out when it goes. Shift the t-case into LO and back into HI. Soccer moms don't usually do this and they can seize up from non-use.

That's about all that I have right now.

Let me know if you have more questions.

muskyman

Explorer
The DII will get a little better mileage, be more comfortable on long trips and drive circles around a Tahoe off road.

It will also cost less to lift and have a better outcome lifted.

The DII also has more readily available true offroad parts. I am talking ones that will help you not ones that just look the part.

Bottom line if you really plan on crossing the country and doing alot of back country off roading the Land Rover is the easy choice.

mdnky

-- -.. -. -.- -.--
The DII will get a little better mileage, be more comfortable on long trips and drive circles around a Tahoe off road.

While the off-road part is true, the rest isn't. The Tahoe has more room and the road manners are night and day better than the Disco. It's fuel efficiency is better than the Disco as well if you want to get technical (within a mpg or two according to EPA ratings.) Those I know who've had Discos (and my previous one) always got worse than the EPA rating by a good amount. The people I know with that generation Tahoe have got the stated amount or slightly better usually. Of course there's too many factors to judge this as any "fact."

Decide what's the most important to you. If off-road prowess is tops, then get the Disco. If ride comfort, road handling and cheaper (and less) maintenance is tops, then get the Tahoe. Both are decent vehicles and both can be dead-nuts reliable or big pains in the rear.

The Disco will be the easiest to upgrade and outfit for Expo use in harsh conditions. A Tahoe will be easier to use for other duties and much easier to get worked if need be.

evilfij

Explorer
Tahoe. My father's 1998 suburban 1500 4x4 has 250k on it and has been nearly perfect (a set of cats, two fuel pumps and normal maintaince -- nothing else major).

RedGrizz

I have an early 2000 Tahoe [old body style] It has 185,000 miles now and has been great. I am in the auto repair business...25yrs
Here are a couple things to consider.

Tahoe. Have it inspected before you buy or do it yourself if qualified. The things to look for are coolant leaks at the corners of the intake manifold, oil cooler line leaks, Engines are usually good for 200K miles if serviced well , Transmissions are about 120-150 K . Expect a fuel pump replacement about every 80-100K miles The rest of the truck if cared for will go many more miles. As said before operate the 4WD on a dirt area. The tahoe will have plenty of room and is comfortable on and off road easy to get repaired most anywhere and easy to get parts for.

Land Rover. The drivetrain components are well built and body is solid. Issues are the air suspension system that if it fails requires specialized computer equipment to diagnos and repair and can get pricey. You will find possible fairly frequent little ''quirks'' with this vehicle, electrical etc. Check around and see if you have a good rover shop in your area, either dealer or independent you may need them. Once again have it inspected before you buy. Most parts will be a dealer only item.

Good luck! :smiley_drive:
RedGrizz

Last edited:

Roverhound

Adventurer
Land Rover. The drivetrain components are well built and body is solid. Issues are the air suspension system that if it fails requires specialized computer equipment to diagnos and repair and can get pricey. You will find possible fairly frequent little ''quirks'' with this vehicle, electrical etc. Check around and see if you have a good rover shop in your area, either dealer or independent you may need them. Once again have it inspected before you buy. Most parts will be a dealer only item.

Good luck! :smiley_drive:
RedGrizz

That is if the Rover has the air suspenson. Most don't, especially 2001 .And I wasn't aware it took a computer to diagnose a leaking air bag.

WickedZJ

Adventurer
Sounds like they both need looked at and test driven. Looks like the rover will be cheaper to equip for expo use but potentially more expensive on repairs and the tahoe would be a bit more to equip but cheaper on repairs. So far sounds like an even race. I guess the determining factor is going to be the 3 little ladies. One requires a comfortable ride and the other two (Even though they are 5 and 2) require good off-road ability. Thanks for all the info guys and if you have any more info that will help please post it up.

WoldD90

Adventurer
I have both... I have a 2004 Yukon XL 2500 series that I use for a general purpose truck and towing my Defenders around. While I have never owned a Disco, I have 2 90's and a RR.

The Yukon's and Tahoe's have a nice comfy ride, they are big with a good amount of space but they hard to see out of and IMO not a typical expedition type truck. It has plenty of power and most do come with some sort of a rear locker and parts are readily available. But, I think it lacks character, the interior is pretty bland it does not have a lot of the creature comforts of the LR's. The 4x4 system is pretty clumsy and not as smooth as the LR system. I have not seen a lot of functional aftermarket add ons that would help on an expedition or off road. Not too many winch bumpers, light bars or racks that compliment the truck.

The Disco has a lot of expedition character, it has an excellent permanent 4x4 system, with a locking high/low transfercase that provides a 50/50 power system to the front and rear wheels. It has a lot of windows providing great visibility off road and looks great lifted with a winch bumper and a rack. As long as you perform the scheduled maintenance, it is as reliable as any other truck. The mind set is that they have a lot of problems, but so does every other car. People have been scared of power windows since the 1940s, but most have rarely if ever had an issue with them.

Get the disco or a classic Range Rover and enjoy the snot out of it.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
I have a Yukon (GMC branded Tahoe), 97, 4-door, 4wd. Not exactly my daily driver any more, but it's still going strong with 213K miles at 19mpg with AC, 75-80 mph.

In that time I've had 2 transmissions (one under warranty), a starter, an alternator, two batteries, two fuel pumps, and a water pump. While I did the water pump I also replaced the serpentine belt. And assorted brakes, tires, wipers.

It's been pretty strong and reliable, I guess. Transmissions are a soft spot (I have the 4-speed OD).

Oh, and when the fuel pump died on I-80 in Donner Pass (CA with 6' snowbanks on the side of the highway), I was able to get parts in an hour and have it fixed. Not sure if you can do that with a Rover.

lwg

While the off-road part is true, the rest isn't. The Tahoe has more room and the road manners are night and day better than the Disco.

I disagree with the road manners. Get a DII with ACE and it handles way better than a Tahoe on the highway, still underpowered but handles really well. I have driven a lot of trucks without ACE setup just like mine and there's a night and day difference in handling.

Last edited:

WickedZJ

Adventurer
Where do you rover guys get your parts from. I have been doing some research and found only 1 or two places. I have been researching the aftermarket stuff for the tahoe as well and want to look into the stuff for the rover. This will help in a decision as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues