2001 Sequoia aka: Project Black Sheep

justinh

Observer
I've considered one as well as the next jump up from my 2001 4runner in size. Basically the same "type" of underpinnings that work so well on the 4runner. We go camping, hunting, traveling, not super hardcore stuff off road. One child, two big dogs and when it is just me and the kiddo I'm sure it is better for sleeping inside than my 2001 4runner and even the newer model 4runners.

Price wise I think you get "more" for your money than a comparable 4runner as well.

I've considered one as well as the next jump up from my 2001 4runner in size. Basically the same "type" of underpinnings that work so well on the 4runner. We go camping, hunting, traveling, not super hardcore stuff off road. One child, two big dogs and when it is just me and the kiddo I'm sure it is better for sleeping inside than my 2001 4runner and even the newer model 4runners.

Price wise I think you get "more" for your money than a comparable 4runner as well.

Ya the design and suspension seem on par with most Toyota's. fully boxed frame... Interior volume is awesome, you can build a man, or family cave in there for sure. Also leg room for passengers is really good, I sat in the back the other day (I'm 6'2) and was blown away.... Also bang for buck, this thing is optioned out quite well, but not too much gadgets that can could break or leave you hanging on a trail or road...

But I have to be honest too... I have never driven mine more that 20 feet, so we will see how it goes and if I feel the same way with its performance!

fireball

Explorer
Really like the first gen Sequoias. Was strongly considering an 03 or 05 before deciding I needed the additional off road prowess of the LC.

Will enjoy watching your build. Where you located?

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
Toytec for one stop shoping!!! I really like the big tree!!

http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/Sequoia-00-07_c_258.html

There's Wheeler's Offroad as well: http://wheelersoffroad.com/product-category/toyota/tundra-182669/1999-2006-tundra/

They recently redesigned their website, so it doesnt look like they have much, but the Sequoias share so much with the Tundies, and Wheeler's has just about EVERYTHING you could want for a Tundie.... They also have some of the best prices I've found.

Toytec for one stop shoping!!! I really like the big tree!!

http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/Sequoia-00-07_c_258.html

Thanks for the link, I've been looking at there Bilstein Coilover setup ... I just have to figure out which upper control arms to choose: Camburg, Total Chaos, or the ball joint style of toytec.

Really like the first gen Sequoias. Was strongly considering an 03 or 05 before deciding I needed the additional off road prowess of the LC.

Will enjoy watching your build. Where you located?
Thanks, I'm sure the LC is treating you well!.. I'm located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

There's Wheeler's Offroad as well: http://wheelersoffroad.com/product-category/toyota/tundra-182669/1999-2006-tundra/

They recently redesigned their website, so it doesnt look like they have much, but the Sequoias share so much with the Tundies, and Wheeler's has just about EVERYTHING you could want for a Tundie.... They also have some of the best prices I've found.
Thanks! those are some good prices, I'm on the fence with Icon suspension. I've installed some in the past.. Fitment was ok but the ride was nice.

I look forward to seeing this build! I know a few Sequoia guys that will as well
Thanks, as for your buddies tell them to chime in as the build goes on... Experience is needed!

New used metal

So I finally got the rad support and fender support cut off at the local wrecker over the weekend.

kens pics iphone 006.jpg

They gave me a bit more than I needed :Wow1: As it was easier to cut the front off rather than drill out spot welds. As you can see there is a lot more :)

kens pics iphone 004.jpg
kens pics iphone 002.jpg

So the next step was to remove any remaining metal from the left inner support for the fender and accessories. The reason I did not cut it off the other day.. Because I did not have the new piece in hand and I didn't want to cut too much off. As you can see from the above picture I have plenty enough to splice the fender apron using the factory locations.

kens pics iphone 012.jpg
kens pics iphone 013.jpg
kens pics iphone 015.jpg

Spot weld cutting and saving some of the OEM braces was needed next.

kens pics iphone 018.jpg

Next was to remove all the old metal and clean, prep and prime

kens pics iphone 019.jpg

Same goes for the right side where the fender apron meets the rad support. Getting rid of any remaining rad support metal.

kens pics iphone 020.jpg

OK... this has turn out to be a lot of work, but so far well worth it!

kens pics iphone 021.jpg

rad support repair

So I stripped the new front clip of all the extra crap it came with.. But before cutting off what I need. I had to do a little repair to the front rad support on the new piece that suffered a small bend..

More than one use for a Hi-Lift.
kens pics iphone 002.jpgkens pics iphone 003.jpg
kens pics iphone 008.jpgkens pics iphone 009.jpg

Back At It

So I managed to get a lot of work done on the truck but haven't put any pic's up in a while... So photo dump time!

Straightened rad support and left inner apron ready for installation.

kens pics iphone 019.jpg

As you can see from this angle how bent the right frame rail was, and also another use for the hi lift jack.

kens pics iphone 020.jpg
kens pics iphone 021.jpg

Now because I'm try to make this a budget build, you can see my ghetto frame straightening. Basically I'm not worried as long as I get the rails straight enough my new bumper will bring the strength back to the front end of my Sequoia. Also all the damage to the frame was before any suspension mounts or sub frame mounts. Also I've loosely fitted the rad support to check my measurements.

kens pics iphone 024.jpg
kens pics iphone 022.jpg

Finally Welded

Some minor tweaks to my rails.

kens pics iphone 001.jpg

My right and left rails are looking better.

kens pics iphone 005.jpg
kens pics iphone 006.jpg

Re attaching the left apron. And then POR-15.

kens pics iphone 002.jpg
kens pics iphone 018.jpg

As for the end of the frame rails I cut them off as I will have new mounting plates built for my new bumper.. And the other ones were bent to hell.

kens pics iphone 010.jpg

I also finished off the rails with POR-15.

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Great budget project. The effort is undoubtedly praiseworthy. So nice to have all that space to work in as well.

An observation and question regarding your re-framerail work; kudos for being able to move things around with the tools you have and is that effort complete? Any possible pictures of the areas on the framerail showing the bent location?

Keep it up!

Back to stock... Kind of

Assembly time!

kens pics iphone 007.jpg

I was able to find a Junk hood and Bumper for the mean time, The hood has some massive dents and horrible body filler over the paint. But it will due for now, I'm still looking for a hood right fender and some front end bits. But this setup will due for now!

kens pics iphone 008.jpg

Might as well do some maintenance while I'm here. New timing belt, water pump, coolant, t-stat, Oil change.

kens pics iphone 019.jpg

As you can see from the water pump it was a good idea I did, I found a little dried up coolant booger.

kens pics iphone 020.jpg
kens pics iphone 021.jpg

And my temp bumper and rebar, I had to tack it in place because the old mounts were mangled and I did not need them as I will be putting on new plate steel in place for the new bumper we are building. Also I quickly painted the white fender to match using plasti dip. I do not really like this stuff (Or I should say what people do with it) but its great for now that way I do not have to sand the fender down when I have to paint it professionally.

kens pics iphone 023.jpg
kens pics iphone 024.jpg
kens pics iphone 025.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal