2001 XJ lift

gwayms

Observer
Hey guys I have a 2001 XJ stock right now, daily driver. Thinking about putting a 3" lift and doing some offroading. Will still be mainly be city driving, but would like to use the jeep for what it was intended for sometimes.
So my question is? How big can I go without having to start modifying driveshafts, or whatever. Tire size, wheel size, wheels spacing etc.

cascadeoffroad

IMO I would recommend ordering the RE 4.5 Superflex lift kit with a 3.5" spring option. I would do this becuase of the fact that the 4.5" kit comes with both upper and lower control arm and a new front track bar, compared with the 3.5" kit which only comes with lower arms.

One of the biggest problems with jeeps is redoing one project multiple times. By purchasing a kit that includes the correct prices the first time you wil spend alot less money.

3.5" is perfect for 31x10.50 tires with little to no trimming. These can either be mounted on your factory rims or all most any aftermarket 15x7 or 15x8" rims.

Now these are just my opinions but I know this combination is killer as I ran it myself before I went to 5.5". I forgot to mention, you shouldn't need a sye and driveline for anything under 4" when using a t-case drop.

A7XJ

I would agree and go with a 3" lift.

x2 on spending the money ahead of time instead of having to re-do the suspension a year later because you went with a cheap lift.

I have a 2001 with a 4.5" lift and I had to throw on a sye. I went with a cheap lift and I am in need of a complete suspension overhaul.

b jeepin

Adventurer
i concure

to add my 2 cents, i think for a weekend warrior 3 to 3.5 inches is where it at. i have built up 5 xj's to date, 3.5 is enough room to go larger in tire add the extra clearance and room to flex. while also still keeping reasonable driveline angles and a factory-like feel. you will be happy you did, as well depending on mileage you may actually feel improved stability and ride quality from replacing some of those peices/ bushings that may be getting a bit worn. :elkgrin:

mudbutt

Explorer
Every XJ is different, but typically 3"-3.5" is the limit before having to add an SYE/driveshaft.

A t-case drop is a crapshoot. sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. It's really just a band-aid. Besides, you are lifting the Jeep for more ground clearance, then giving some of that back with the t-case drop.....

But also, I really have no real experience with them. I installed a 4.5" long arm lift and never looked back......

If I could start over, I would definitely keep it under 4".

The RE 4.5" kit with the 3.5" springs (full springs in the rear of course) sounds like a very nice option. The only upgrade I might make to that is JKS Mfg control arms, but they are pricey.

If only I knew then, what I know now, all of my custom suspension effort, I could have saved myself a lot of headache, time & suprisingly...money. Live & learn right?

Last edited:

Krazors001

I have an Old Man Emu 3" lift on mine for dd duties for the last year and have been very happy with it. I bought a SYE and front shaft to throw in it and ended up selling it off as I never needed it. The suspension feels really nice even with my stts on it which are load range e. I do plan on switching tires and think that will cushion my ride up a bit more. I would have gone RE, but wanted to keep it lower knowing I didn't plan on going bigger than 32s, if ever. I am currently running 245/75R16 Cooper Discover STTs

sharing my experience and reaffirming the input of others, i put on the RE Superflex 3.5" kit with full leaf packs (don't even consider add-a-leaf) adding adjustable uppers to the mix (helps adjust pinion angle) and am very pleased with the setup. under it i have 31x10.5s. i also clearanced the spring perches a bit to prevent binding when i installed the lift.

does it's dd short commute dutes very well. handles the long hauls very well. and is still very capable off road (the SF kit articulates extraordinarily well for it's modest posture). i added a TnT belly skid and Tomken gas tank skid figuring a little extra protection of critical parts underneath will help with lack of lift.

expect to need a SYE kit- later models are prone to driveline vibrations. also expect some loss is pep (still have the stock 3.55 gearing- but would love 4.10). also look closely at the book Jeep Cherokee Builder's Guide (Zappe)

future suspension plans -
adding some lift to accomodate the desired bumpers and winch
switching to long arms

gwayms

Observer
Hey guys thanks for all the info. I looked on line at the RE 3.5 lift. But it seems like some of the most recent reviews have been bad. People saying the new bushings dont last long at all and the customer service is horrible. Anyone know about this.

cascadeoffroad

Rubicon did recently have a batch of bad bushings but they took care of all of my customers no problem. I've always had great experience with their customer service but I'm a retailer so things can be skewed. I know since the bad bushings they have switched manufactures, since then, no problems what so ever.

DBH

Being an idiot, I put a 2" on my 2001 last year. For some of the off pavement driving I am doing, it doesn't seem to be enough. I am going to go with either the 3" or the 4.5", I just need to do some more research for me and my wallet.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Being an idiot, I put a 2" on my 2001 last year. For some of the off pavement driving I am doing, it doesn't seem to be enough. I am going to go with either the 3" or the 4.5", I just need to do some more research for me and my wallet.

You're not an idiot, you just drive a modest jeep and want to squeeze a little more out of it. I only have a 2" lift with 235/75 tires, thats just shy of 30 inches and is actually technically stock sized tires (still bigger than my old tires though). I needed the lift because I put wheels with less back spacing and I had some minor rubbing issues. Maybe some day I'll get 4.5" lift and 32" tires...some day.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3