2002 Ford F-350SRW Recommendations

Hey Everyone!
I have a 2002 Ford Superduty F-350 Superduty SRW. I am looking for input, suggestions, examples, and tips on how to continue my build.
I currently am running a:
4” Rough Country lift
285/75/16 tires
Factory rims
Air lift system for towing
Power brake upgrade
K&N intake. (Any better recommendations would be appreciative, would love to add a snorkel for better air flow. “Not for Water”!!)
ARE truck topper
Decked storage system
Super chips Dashpod with edge system for help with “dummy gauges” fords came with.

My goal is to outfit this for an “overlanding” rig. I’m not looking at going extreme but I would like something that can handle general backcountry routes and will not be a cumbersome oversized vehicle.
I am a family man with a wife and 3 kids. My goal is to have some thing I can travel comfortably with and be able to camp with my family.

Goals:
Upgraded exhaust
Swap my current trailer brake system with a red arc trailer brake system
Upgrade tires and wheels to at least a 33/35”
Would love a replacement rear bumper with tire carrier and front bumper with brush guard and winch mount.

I am very open minded to those who have any ideas and suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_5810.jpeg
    IMG_5810.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5811.jpeg
    IMG_5811.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5815.jpeg
    IMG_5815.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5816.jpeg
    IMG_5816.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
What engine is in it?

ARB bumper, some skinny 34” tires and whatever rear bumper you like. Do all the maintenance and get a few spares and go. For what you are describing, you’re almost there.

Have a look at Sky Offroads shackle reversal kit for the front end. It comes in various lift amounts, but having the shackles at the rear, and fixed point of the springs at the front is a huge benefit for comfort in the OBS and Superduty trucks. It takes all the harshness out. They are still stiffer than a 1/2 ton, but there is no more jarring from small obstacles.

ExpoMike

So 285/75-16 is basically a 33" tall tire (32.8"). If you're looking to change them, with your lift, 35" tall might look better but will cost slightly in MPG.

Personally, I would skip the exhaust, unless there is a problem with yours and it needs replacement. Very little power gain but the extra noise, especially if you're out overlanding, isn't worth it. If you want to be one of the "bros" who like to be obnoxious out on the trails and make everyone look at you, sure but when I am out exploring, I like to keep my rigs quiet, so I am more likely not to scare away wildlife. It's always a treat to see some cool animals when out.

Personally make sure the maintenance items are done and get out and use it. It looks to be ready and not much more is needed.

Yes, a tire upgrade is in the works. Unfortunately I just bought these tires so I will make do until it is time to replace. On exhaust, I used to like the “loud” let you know I’m coming exhaust in my younger days but I’m more about the “stealth” approach in my older years. My vehicle has been regularly maintained and has went through normal vehicle maintenance schedules.
So 285/75-16 is basically a 33" tall tire (32.8"). If you're looking to change them, with your lift, 35" tall might look better but will cost slightly in MPG.

Personally, I would skip the exhaust, unless there is a problem with yours and it needs replacement. Very little power gain but the extra noise, especially if you're out overlanding, isn't worth it. If you want to be one of the "bros" who like to be obnoxious out on the trails and make everyone look at you, sure but when I am out exploring, I like to keep my rigs quiet, so I am more likely not to scare away wildlife. It's always a treat to see some cool animals when out.

Personally make sure the maintenance items are done and get out and use it. It looks to be ready and not much more is needed.

What engine is in it?

ARB bumper, some skinny 34” tires and whatever rear bumper you like. Do all the maintenance and get a few spares and go. For what you are describing, you’re almost there.

Have a look at Sky Offroads shackle reversal kit for the front end. It comes in various lift amounts, but having the shackles at the rear, and fixed point of the springs at the front is a huge benefit for comfort in the OBS and Superduty trucks. It takes all the harshness out. They are still stiffer than a 1/2 ton, but there is no more jarring from small obstacles.
It has the 7.3 power stroke diesel. I do ultimately want the ARB bumper. I’m set on lift.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Your SD is already has the shackle in the rear.

I would replace the K&N filter. Not really a good filter for a turbo diesel. Too many reports of turbo wheels getting chewed up.

Good solid trucks.

Jack

chop480

Observer
As the owner of a 02 F250, 7.3L it's a given that we've started out with a cumbersome oversized, and LOUD vehicle. Still, it's a capable truck that already meets your requirements as currently outfitted.

With a 4" lift the ~33" tires look small but are otherwise fine with 3.73 stock gears. Anything bigger you may want to consider regearing but it's not strictly required even at 35" tires; just highly recommended.

I'd lean toward getting the most out of what you already have. The 4" exhaust is a good idea. Supplement that with a good air intake and a mild tune and you're increasing torque and HP without any other mods. Torque is our friend with these beasts.

You may want to swap out your trans cooler with the 6.0L trans cooler if you haven't already done so. Also consider flushing out the green engine coolant and replace with the 700K mile red coolant. I added a coolant filter when I switched coolant but the coolant filter isn't a must.

Highly recommended but very pricey is swapping the stock ball joints for Dynatrac rebuildable ball joints. The heavy 7.3L is not friendly to stock ball joints especially off road. A buy once, cry once mod.

After that or in conjunction with above I'd focus on self-recovery. Good recovery kit and traction boards, shovel, etc. A good jack to lift the monster is necessary. Look into a Hummer scissor jack or a F450, 550 stock yellow hydraulic jack. Bumper and winch after that if you desire.

Have a replacement CPS on hand and the tools to replace it. The CPS must be a Ford/Motorcraft/International sourced CPS. Absolutely under no circumstances use an aftermarket CPS.

You're already in a good starting place. Happy trails!

andy_b

Hey Everyone!
I have a 2002 Ford Superduty F-350 Superduty SRW. I am looking for input, suggestions, examples, and tips on how to continue my build.
I currently am running a:
4” Rough Country lift
285/75/16 tires
Factory rims
Air lift system for towing
Power brake upgrade
K&N intake. (Any better recommendations would be appreciative, would love to add a snorkel for better air flow. “Not for Water”!!)
ARE truck topper
Decked storage system
Super chips Dashpod with edge system for help with “dummy gauges” fords came with.

My goal is to outfit this for an “overlanding” rig. I’m not looking at going extreme but I would like something that can handle general backcountry routes and will not be a cumbersome oversized vehicle.
I am a family man with a wife and 3 kids. My goal is to have some thing I can travel comfortably with and be able to camp with my family.

Goals:
Upgraded exhaust
Swap my current trailer brake system with a red arc trailer brake system
Upgrade tires and wheels to at least a 33/35”
Would love a replacement rear bumper with tire carrier and front bumper with brush guard and winch mount.

I am very open minded to those who have any ideas and suggestions.

Everyone has provided some great advice, including the observation that you're basically good to go already.

The guys at 1023 offer a great service where you can discuss an "upgrade path" without any strings attached. Super helpful.

I have a 2000 7.3. One of the best mods I've done so far is a KC 300x turbo. Lowered EGTs and improved power. I added an MBRP 4" along w/ upgraded up-pipes at the same time. As others mentioned, get rid of the K&N. The Ford AIS is probably the most highly regarded but hasn't been available for a while. I have an S&B, no complaints. A snorkel would only worsen your stated objective of improving "air flow."

35s are probably the biggest you'll be able to fit. The main issue actually is the width due to interference with the front springs. I'm running 285/75-18s on Method 701HDs; in order to clear the springs I had to add 1" spacers.

Custom springs made the biggest difference in ride for us. Still not as nice as more modern truck but pretty tolerable.

chop480

Observer
Just to add to the video above and your Edge monitor. The Edge can access the IPC pressure and IPR duty cycle PID's. Monitor those PID's for values in the range mentioned in the video. If you start setting a P1211 DTC under heavy throttle up hill you more than likely have reached the limit of oil pressure that can keep up with the tune you have selected from the tuner and what the stock HPOP and injectors are capable of.

It's a soft code that triggers the check engine light. The CEL on a soft DTC normally turns off the CEL after a few minutes when you're not under the heavy load. You can read and erase the DTC's with the Edge as well.

It's a good indication to back the tune down in hilly conditions or consider upgrades to components to deliver better injector performance if you drive a lot of hills.

Last edited:
Many of you have said to get rid of the K&N. However not seeing anyone giving a good recommendation. What is everyone’s thoughts on air filtration. I have heard stories about K&N as well and so I’m very interested in hearing input on what the replacement should be.

andy_b

Many of you have said to get rid of the K&N. However not seeing anyone giving a good recommendation. What is everyone’s thoughts on air filtration. I have heard stories about K&N as well and so I’m very interested in hearing input on what the replacement should be.
The K&N has worse filtration; this is well documented across numerous types of vehicles. It flows well because it doesn’t filter. I made a couple recommendation in my post above regarding other options for the 7.3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger