2002 Trooper Project

CJones

Adventurer
Looks like I'm just going to miss you in AZ, I'm heading out the next day for California. Where abouts are you going to be?

We are going to spend a couple days in and around Sedona, mosey on up to the North Rim for a couple more, and then we are heading into New Mexico to find some ruins, canyons, mountains, etc... for a few more days before returning to Austin, TX.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
They actually make an "expedition" grade spring that is stiffer yet, the 929, which I have on my Trooper. The 919 is a good compromise, I think you'll like it.

CJones

Adventurer
Well... UPS delivered the parts Tuesday night, I got the springs and rear shocks in that night and did the front shocks and torsion bars on Wednesday morning; in time to leave on our trip Wednesday afternoon. Real eleventh hour stuff :) . I don't have many pictures of the process because I was in a bit of a hurry to finish. But the parts are in, and what a difference. fully loaded down the ride was a little firmer than stock/unloaded and I never hit the bump-stops. Not even on one of the really rough trails. Unloaded is very truck like, but I don't mind because I don't feel like I am going to rollover on all of the corners anymore.
Stock Front Shocks
IMG_1858.2015-06-24_115900.jpg

OME Front Shocks
IMG_1859.2015-06-24_124059.jpg

Stock (Before)
DSC_0099.jpg

Lifted 1.5 inches (after)
DSC_0296.jpg

I also built a quick/simple platform that we were able to strap our gear down on and inflate the air mattress on for sleeping. It worked but was not what I had in mind long term. I will work on a drawer platform for future adventures. But it worked fine for this trip.
DSC_0208.jpg

dbtx

Nice. I am following with interest as I am looking to upgrade my '98 which I have owned since new. I see that Rocky Road has a version of the kit with torsion bars. What led you to not go that route?

CJones

Adventurer
Nice. I am following with interest as I am looking to upgrade my '98 which I have owned since new. I see that Rocky Road has a version of the kit with torsion bars. What led you to not go that route?

Thanks. After talking to a friend in the business, I decided not to go with new torsion bars. He said that extra money was better spent stabilizing/beefing up the steering (which I haven't done yet). If I were going to be doing a bunch of rock crawling, or if I had increased the travel but a lot, then I would have done the torsion bars. Honestly, just changing the shocks up front made all the difference in ride quality. I am happy with kit I got.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Another cheap upgrade is to replace the sway bar bushings. For like $50 it really tightens up the handling.

CJones

Adventurer
I did a little more work. This time it was on my communications system, or the lack thereof. Remidied that with a basic CB. My goal was to make it as factory looking as possible. I can't stand clutter and having the CB on top of the dash or below the steering felt too claustrophobic for me.

It took a bit of pulling panelling and routing cable but it looks clean and that was my goal. I started with the antenna mount. Unfortunately, since there are two rear doors that open out, I couldn't mount the antenna about either tail light. So I mounted it to the small door as it doesn't get opened as often and was easier to route the coax through existing hole for the license plate light. There was also some conduit from the door to the body already there so I ran the coax through that as well. Then up the passenger side, under the passenger seat, up the center console to the radio. There was a separate CD changer in the dash that I removed as my music is on my phone and I don't listen to CDs anymore.

The end result inside the cab:
oxRw

The end result at the antenna mount:

Bn-U

GMPN

7t5o

Grinder313

Observer
Nice install. I would add a braided ground strap from the body to the door if you haven't already.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk