2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71 Front/Rear Bumper option

Burb One

Adventurer
Hey as long as the Suburban Mafia is all here, have any of you seen / found an aftermarket chin skidplate to replace that small piece of fiberglass?

Still not finding anything as trim as the Aries grill / brushguard. Everything seems much larger and much more expensive, much more Bro-tastic.

Before I got my lift, I couldn't find any skids for the front and made something out of some 1/4. A local shop could do it for <$100 I am sure.

Also, for 1500 suburbans the 2500 skid plate for the transfer case bolts right in! That's a good one to have.

I've been looking at front bumper but I don't like most of the bolt in one's. Also, I am scared of adding even more weight to the front of the truck....

rayra

Expedition Leader
Tahoe, that's probably what I'm going to have to do. Can't find anything and I'm working up some sketches for something more expansive, I want it to span across as far as I can without impinging on the steering.

Something along the lines of this -

ShrockingPaul.jpg

i've been photoshopping ideas for some protection for tie-rods and axle boots too, against The Shrubbery Menace.

suspensionplate03_zpsigttuqi2.jpg

I already have the factory engine / front axle plate and the transfer case plate. I'd like to put a plate under the fuel tank and I'm shopping pinion / rear U-joint guards as well. And maybe even rig a plate / shield under the spare. I want to be able to run some **** over if I have to.

/And now back to your regularly scheduled bumper discussion. It'll be next year before I get around to any of this skidplate stuff.

Burb One

Adventurer
Tahoe, that's probably what I'm going to have to do. Can't find anything and I'm working up some sketches for something more expansive, I want it to span across as far as I can without impinging on the steering.

Something along the lines of this -

ShrockingPaul.jpg

i've been photoshopping ideas for some protection for tie-rods and axle boots too, against The Shrubbery Menace.

suspensionplate03_zpsigttuqi2.jpg

I already have the factory engine / front axle plate and the transfer case plate. I'd like to put a plate under the fuel tank and I'm shopping pinion / rear U-joint guards as well. And maybe even rig a plate / shield under the spare. I want to be able to run some **** over if I have to.

/And now back to your regularly scheduled bumper discussion. It'll be next year before I get around to any of this skidplate stuff.

If you ever find or design anything for the fuel tank let us know!

The u-joint guards are around, I had one on my 10 bolt, and it never got a scratch. Haven't gotten around to it on the 14 bolt. I would go for a upgraded diff cover first.

I don't know if it's worth the weight for the tie rod plate. It's be hard to get past the lower arms, and up in there....

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'd intend to fab the tie rod plate so it clamps to the lower control arm and matches its angled face, like a ski tip. To drive things down and under. Probably 1/4" aluminum plate. But not sure about adding unsprung weight like that. And have to try some 'cardboard aided design' to see if anything fits well enough to be worth trying. I've never seen anything like it done.

Stryder106

Explorer
I'm with you guys - 2002 Avalanche - and was less than thrilled with my off the shelf options. So, I have a buddy who has some skills when it comes to fabbing, so we discussed what I was looking for and he built it. I wanted it to be tubular but stout (read that as strong, but not heavy and not look like a train going down the road), it had to hide a 12.5K winch, pod lights and 2 recovery points. Here is what we came up with, tubing is 1.75", is welded to the frame, pod lights I used my factory wiring for the fog lights, recovery points are also welded into the frame:New Front Bumper 3.jpg

Last edited:

Stryder106

Explorer
As for the rear, again the same story plays out, not happy with any options for my rig. Got turned onto AllProOffroad who makes some pretty killer stuff, but it's all for Toyotas. Same approach - discuss what I'm looking for (more clearance, get the spare out from under the rig, carry extra fuel/water/whatever, get the jack off of my roof rack, increase rear clearance and departure angle, yet keep my tail gate functional. Agreed on a dual swingout design and ordered up some 1000# pivots, a dualRotopax mount from AP, latches, and spare tire mounting plate. Here is the result (sorry - only the 1 pic as I haven't had the time to take more detailed ones)(and yes, I'm buying a new wheel and spare):New Rear Swing Out.jpg

Jelorian

Adventurer
As for the rear, again the same story plays out, not happy with any options for my rig. Got turned onto AllProOffroad who makes some pretty killer stuff, but it's all for Toyotas. Same approach - discuss what I'm looking for (more clearance, get the spare out from under the rig, carry extra fuel/water/whatever, get the jack off of my roof rack, increase rear clearance and departure angle, yet keep my tail gate functional. Agreed on a dual swingout design and ordered up some 1000# pivots, a dualRotopax mount from AP, latches, and spare tire mounting plate. Here is the result (sorry - only the 1 pic as I haven't had the time to take more detailed ones)(and yes, I'm buying a new wheel and spare):View attachment 363933

Looks real good and is basically what I eventually want to get for mine for all the same reasons. Thanks for the info on AllProOffroad. Can you give me a ballpark as to what they charge? You can PM me if you want.

While I do have a Hitchgate for now, I want a more permanent solution as my rig progresses.

Great looking Avalanche.

Stryder106

Explorer
Looks real good and is basically what I eventually want to get for mine for all the same reasons. Thanks for the info on AllProOffroad. Can you give me a ballpark as to what they charge? You can PM me if you want.

While I do have a Hitchgate for now, I want a more permanent solution as my rig progresses.

Great looking Avalanche.

Thanks for the compliment - mine is fabbed by my friend. AllProOffroad stuff is only for Toyotas - but for their dual swingout bumper for the Tacoma it's $2000. I called them and essentially utilized their basic design in coming up with mine. What I did buy from them was their Rotopax mounting trey ($167 shipped). It's pretty neat and bolts on to the swing out. It is designed only for 3-3 gallon Rotopax though - so I gave up a little flexibility in going with it. But, they also make a bolt on support tray for dual 5 gal jerry cans and also one for an ice chest. From EMS Offroad Fabrications I purchased the hinges, latches, and spare tire plate (Total $201). Then my buddy went to work on it cutting, bending, and welding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach