2004 Land Rover Disco expedition camper conversion

Moto-ranger

I added the heavy duty OME rear shocks. There is a rear air bag kit if I feel it needs additional help for the rear suspension in the future. The overall weight increase is around 1200 lbs. It handles pretty well and hasn't lacked too much power yet. I've down shifted to third for a couple of the big climbs in TX Hill Country;-)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Whoa, **************!

What's the interior height?
Height of sleeping attic area?

I'd love to know a roundabout price for the conversion, so that my mind can wander with other vehicles I'd like to modify like this.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
What heavy OE equip was removed Chazz--do you mean the rear of body? I wonder how much that weighed.

I added the heavy duty OME rear shocks. There is a rear air bag kit if I feel it needs additional help for the rear suspension in the future. The overall weight increase is around 1200 lbs. It handles pretty well and hasn't lacked too much power yet. I've down shifted to third for a couple of the big climbs in TX Hill Country;-)
Does the Disco2 have that much payload capacity listed?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
What heavy OE equip was removed Chazz--do you mean the rear of body? I wonder how much that weighed.

The seat would be fairly heavy, but not more than the refer, cooktop, and any batteries. That still leaves the whole camper as added weight. Would be interesting to know exact number of what was removed and added to the vehicle.....

Chazz Layne

Administrator

Does the Disco2 have that much payload capacity listed?

The rear seats alone weigh in at a beefy 200+ lbs (I had to ship a set). All the interior trim and carpet (assuming it was removed) is easily another 40-50 lbs. A Disco's body isn't too heavy, the removed section was probably another 50-60 lbs.

A stock D2's payload capacity is 1,500 lbs. The frame is very sturdy, especially in the back half. The weak point is the suspension followed by the axle, and both are easily upgraded to handle additional weight. With the proper upgrades the capacity can be boosted to around 1,900 lbs. Between upgrades and the material removed capacity could be safely pushed up as high as 2,300 lbs.

Spending 1,200 lbs on the camper from that point sounds pretty reasonable, especially when you start factoring in all the gear that doesn't need to be carried with all the built-in systems. Just add food, water, clothing, and people... and hit the road. :)

I'd be curious to see how CoG is affected, and how the truck handles a crosswind with the extra height.

Moto-ranger

Will try to answer most of the questions. The original vehicle weight was 4960 and weight after removing the tail end was 4520 lbs. The final weigh in with camper was 6200 and max gross vehicle weight is a little higher. With gear for 6 months it is likely slightly over. This is prior to factoring in the heavy duty coils though. The vehicle with camper drives better than when I towed a 2000 lb cargo trailer. Vehicle held 75 mph ok on flat road. You do feel big wind gusts more than the stock vehicle, but it is very manageable. I will likely try it off road once we reach hwy 395 in CA around mid-march. Interior standing height is about 6' and bed height is a couple feet tapering down toward the front of the cab. For any pricing info, I will defer to Cari and Rob at Phoenix pop-ups (web link in the initial post). So far the solar panel and purified water seems to make it up to a week at a time depending on use of water. Let me know if I missed anything. Cheers

Moto-ranger

The rear seats alone weigh in at a beefy 200+ lbs (I had to ship a set). All the interior trim and carpet (assuming it was removed) is easily another 40-50 lbs. A Disco's body isn't too heavy, the removed section was probably another 50-60 lbs.

A stock D2's payload capacity is 1,500 lbs. The frame is very sturdy, especially in the back half. The weak point is the suspension followed by the axle, and both are easily upgraded to handle additional weight. With the proper upgrades the capacity can be boosted to around 1,900 lbs. Between upgrades and the material removed capacity could be safely pushed up as high as 2,300 lbs.

Spending 1,200 lbs on the camper from that point sounds pretty reasonable, especially when you start factoring in all the gear that doesn't need to be carried with all the built-in systems. Just add food, water, clothing, and people... and hit the road. :)

I'd be curious to see how CoG is affected, and how the truck handles a crosswind with the extra height.

Chazz - what is the axle upgrade if I ever decide to go that route?

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
Hi, great to meet you in McKinney, sorry we didn't get to say goodbye, we were out for a walk when you guys left. The rig is awesome, amazing what you've fitted onto a disco chassis.

Safe travels.

I'll be in touch when we get to Colorado later in the year,

Nick and Naomi

Moto-ranger

Very cool, hopefully I'll get a chance to check it out in person some day.

Ashcroft. If you have any plans for lockers or regearing it would be easiest to do it all at once, since the first/last steps are the same as installing the axle upgrade.

Lucky8 has good pricing on the parts: http://lucky8llc.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=2167

We will be making our way up the west coast starting mid-March... Thanks for the link on axles! Ryan

Moto-ranger

Hi, great to meet you in McKinney, sorry we didn't get to say goodbye, we were out for a walk when you guys left. The rig is awesome, amazing what you've fitted onto a disco chassis.

Safe travels.

I'll be in touch when we get to Colorado later in the year,

Nick and Naomi

Nick -
Your Mercedes build was amazing - good for dinner parties and exploring. It was great to meet you both - good luck on the journey.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Wonderful stuff ! Really like this. Thank you for sharing such an innovative approach. (I am kicking myself, as I type this, and am not a good multi-tasker ;) )

Wishing you folks well on your journey and hoping you'll share more photos, please.

What's your overall height, now, may I ask ? Also, could we have a few more interior photos, perhaps from other angles/perspectives ?

Thanks ! ! !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design