2005 e350 5.4 4x4 swap!! Zf6 manual worth it?

telkey

Yes! I want to do this someday. Thanks for paving the way. Are you going to use a truck ECU or reflash?

Msmithabr

Yes! I want to do this someday. Thanks for paving the way. Are you going to use a truck ECU or reflash?

I have not yet determined what I will do with the ecu. Current plan is to get it together and running and see how bad and in what ways it is handicapped. If it's easily resolved with a reflash thats the route I will go. Fingers crossed. I dislike wiring very much. Not sure of the differences in the truck vs van ecu. But I do have a good harness guy. So if need be, I'll leave engine management up to him and have him make me a nice diagram to post. Hopefully it is straight forward. I just can't stand chasing pins. Almost went 6bt to avoid it completely.

Msmithabr

Standard transmissions were not available in Econolines after 1991.

I have the truck pedal assembly. And the reverse mount swinger. I will use the truck brake pedal, as it offsets to the passenger side, and make a mount similar to the ute thread for the clutch assembly. Once the van is lifted I will massage the inner fender to make it more comfortable. Also have the manual cluster and steering column. Updates this weekend with any luck.

Thanks,
Mike

Raul

Adventurer
Any updates? Looking forward to heard you are shifting your way into new adventures....

Msmithabr

Any updates? Looking forward to heard you are shifting your way into new adventures....
First drive report, (no front axle or lift yet).
Pedal box is really tight, size 14s don't fit so well which made for some interesting intersections. When the lift is installed I will be moving the pedals apart and I will clearance the inner fender. Engine seems to idle a little low with the selector switch from the auto in drive, might be lack of flywheel mass, stalled a few times. Planning on pinning the auto selector and simply putting the neutral safety switch on a momentary switch on the dash, (effective, as well as a theft deterrent) Have not got the Speedo working yet, the dreaded wiring. I always save my least favorite part for last. But overall im happy with it. Just in time for great lakes spring steelhead, hate breaking poles down ? Will update with pics and progress as it is made.

Msmithabr

I was in the same situation when building my MG conversion- 2010 5.4. The only automatic vehicles I've ever owned are the vans. I didn't go Manual on the van because I wasn't sure if the engine ECU uses feedback from the transmission. I was afraid the engine will believe the transmissions is not shifting and limit output or some self-preserving strategy.
Keep us posted.
Update on this question, once the ecm believes the auto is in drive it runs out just fine. I havnt noticed any power limiting unless I leave the factory auto switch in neutral. The same switch controls reverse lights as well. So with the vehicle key on and some fiddling around it should pretty easy to locate hot pins for certain switch positions and wire all the neutral safety, and reverse light features.

Msmithabr

Manual truck pedal and factory auto pedal assembly spliced together. Almost looks factory. Just too close together. Will fix that later.

Attachments

• 0308192241_HDR.jpg
    0308192241_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 80
  • 0308192227_HDR.jpg
    0308192227_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
  • Snapchat-1042116203.jpg
    Snapchat-1042116203.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 79
  • Snapchat-492712531.jpg
    Snapchat-492712531.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70

Msmithabr

Sorry for the delay. Currently working with 5startuning to see what they can do as far as the trans codes and such. I have been driving the van almost daily since the shake down run. Still have a big hole in the floor. It gets a little warm in there. Will be working on permanent solutions and finish work soon. Morale of the story.... Don't pull it out of the shop until it's done ? so hard to pull it back in. Especially when it's so enjoyable and practical to drive. It's the fishing mobile as of late. Will update when progress is made if anyone is still following along.

Thanks
Mike

Msmithabr

Took it out on the big road today and held 80 when I could. Some holiday traffic and a couple accidents. Average 14.5 on stock sized tires and stock gearing. Will see if that improves with the tune when I get that sorted. So far not seeing any real difference in fuel economy. So just an fyi. Will update soon with floor fix and other electrical (dread) solutions. As well as the rear axle swap.

Happy late fourth folks,
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl