2005 Tacoma Short Bed Sleeping Deck

Stocky Taco

Several people have asked about our camping system in the back of the Tacoma, so here’s the details of what I’ve done so far.

Deck 10.jpg

The Gen 2 Tacomas have these wonderful cutout and ledge on the bed’s sidewalls to install an elevated deck very easily. They’re designed for a 1×6 support under a plywood deck, but I wanted something a little beefier, so I went with 2x8s and dato’ed the ends to make them fit.

Deck 1.jpg Deck 2.jpg

Then it’s simply 3/4″ plywood covered with the cheapest outdoor carpet at Lowes.

Deck 4.jpg Deck 5.jpg

Deck 6.jpg Deck 8.jpg

Now the catch is the 5′ bed and me being 6’2″. This is where the “foot shelf” comes in. I built a separate 18″x48″ shelf that goes over the tailgate and connects to the sleeping deck to create a queen sized bed in a 5′ short bed pickup. In the morning the foot shelf easily moves out of the way to free up the tailgate for fixing breakfast, etc.

Deck 9.jpg Deck 11.jpg

Of course this means your feet are out in the open, and in bad weather that can be a bad thing. For that we’ve gone with an EZ-Up awning that we setup over the tailgate to provide a sheltered living area for privacy and protection from the weather. The walls are quite versatile, allowing us to obtain just the right balance of protection and views.

Attachments

• Deck 7.jpg
    Deck 7.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 47

Canadark

Nice job. That gives me some ideas for what to do with my Nissan Frontier PRO-4X...I've got the same issue with a 5' bed and a 5'8" height. Your idea would beat trying to sleep squeezed in on the diagonal within the confines of the bed and canopy/topper. Thanks.

Trvlngnrs

Observer
Looks great. I have a question though.... is the extension stable enough to crawl on to get into bed, or do you get in, then place the extension in place?

It seems if a person tried to crawl on it, it would flip backward. I've been thinking of doing something like this, but was afraid my wife would topple backward as she tried to get in bed.

Thanks for your thread!
Trvlngnrs

Stocky Taco

The extension is pretty solid. The legs are as far out as possible and held steady by the slots in the tailgate. Never had an issue with it falling out; maybe just shifting a quarter inch (it would take 1.5" of movement to fall out).

Stocky Taco

High altitude and cold temps seem to keep the bugs at bay. Haven't really had a problem with bugs so far, but it's probably due to where I camp. They could eat me up if they wanted with this setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl