2006 Tacoma Roof Basket...Need help!

Hey guys! First of all this is my first post here so...YO! I've been on other Tacoma forums for a few years though. So anyways, I've got a design for a roof basket for my double cab to run by you guys and a few questions to boot.

My basket's design is pretty simple and I plan on using 3/4" EMT Conduit for the rails and 1.5"x.75" mild steel rectangular tubes for the basket's bottom crossbars. Here's some drawings of the design:
roof_rack_assem_nondim.jpg

Solid model view:
roof_rack_assem.jpg

So here's where the questions come in... I need a few pointers/dimensions from those with OEM roof racks.
I designed the basket to attach to the OEM roof rack for ease of removal and a cleaner look. My concern though is the load limit of the OEM crossbars and having to purchase a rack(~$245). Since I don't have the OEM rack I could use a few dimensions from the guys that do have one:
-The horizontal distance from the top of the windshield to the middle of the first crossbar
-The horizontal distance from the middle of the front crossbar to the middle of the rear crossbar
-The horizontal distance from the middle of the rear crossbar to the back of the cab.

I've also tossed around the idea of building my own crossbars and bolting them directly to the existing holes in the roof. It might not look as streamlined though.

Sorry it's such a long first post guys but I need some help/advice! Thanks for looking and let me know what yall think!

Last edited:

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
If you don't have any luck here, Hoss on TTORA has an OEM roof rack on his 2005 Dbl Cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl