2009 Provan Tiger CX - F-350 $85000

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Just a general question about these rigs...

The frame on older F350s is very flexible C channel. Are the campers mounted directly (like on a box truck)? And if so are there any modifications to the truck chassis to make them stronger?

I can speak to the older Chevy K-series Tigers. The aluminum/fiberglass camper body is mounted directly to the frame via steel cross members under the marine plywood floor. In the case of my 1995 Tiger, the steel cross members are welded directly to the frame at multiple spots. Chevy also used a rear C channel and front boxed frame due to the ifs. To be honest, the welds look like crap and are nothing but big blobs of buzzbox welds.
With that said, we've put over 120k on it since the rebuild and since we live in Colorado well over 50k of that has been mountain passes, trails and Utah trails and backroads and I've never had a frame or weld problem. Credit to the strength in the design. Hope that helps.
3F0AC845-866C-4388-BBD4-C9E954CE05E4.jpeg

rruff

Explorer
I can speak to the older Chevy K-series Tigers. The aluminum/fiberglass camper body is mounted directly to the frame via steel cross members under the marine plywood floor. In the case of my 1995 Tiger, the steel cross members are welded directly to the frame at multiple spots.

Awesome, thanks! Probably less a credit to strength, but rather the flexibility of the camper. The steel cross members wouldn't keep the frame from flexing, and I doubt the camper would either. Single wall fiberglass will flex very well.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Awesome, thanks! Probably less a credit to strength, but rather the flexibility of the camper. The steel cross members wouldn't keep the frame from flexing, and I doubt the camper would either. Single wall fiberglass will flex very well.

Just for clarification, the exterior walls are aluminum skin panels glued/riveted to aluminum studs with the interior wood panels being glued and stapled to the studs. The top is a single fiberglass cap (like the hull of a boat) with wood ribs glassed into top so, while I suspect there is some frame flex it is very little otherwise you'd see panels, rivets, staples, glued trim and the interior attached cabinetry inside would be popping off when traversing technical trails (not to forget the walk through cab design aswell) I haven't experienced that level of flexing so, I suspect it's a combination of all those components that makes it fairly rigid. I would almost credit the 3 inch suspension lift, flexy springs and managing the airbags and tire pressure properly that helps it off-road and not over stressing the structure.

DA08C392-F60E-4CA8-A14F-3E7DDEBC98A1.jpeg

Attachments

• 1BC419E8-A921-455D-B561-4CC606B3C04E.jpg
    1BC419E8-A921-455D-B561-4CC606B3C04E.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

b. rock

The CL ad notes that a sale is pending.

Can't tell if a 6 speed manual trans in a vehicle this size would be fun or laborious. Probably both, just depends on the situation.

rruff

Explorer
Just for clarification, the exterior walls are aluminum skin panels glued/riveted to aluminum studs with the interior wood panels being glued and stapled to the studs.

Wow, I'm totally wrong, I thought the whole exterior was molded fiberglass.

Do you know if the steel crossmembers are tubular or channel? And do they have edge tubes on the sides as well?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Wow, I'm totally wrong, I thought the whole exterior was molded fiberglass.

Do you know if the steel crossmembers are tubular or channel? And do they have edge tubes on the sides as well?

Square tube for the cross members. Not sure about edge tubes, it's been awhile since I've been under it but will take a look.

rruff

Explorer
Sounds like the rigid subframe welded onto the chassis is the main thing making the rear end torsionally stiff, and the aluminum frame on the camper will add to that.

If you ever do feel inspired to have a look under there, I'm curious how far back the boxed tubes go on the chassis, and if there is any sort of doubler or other frame reinforcement where the most forward crossmember is welded on.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
This owner has added some very thoughtful and extremely useful mods to his nice rig. That works shows care and an attention to detail that should make anybody completely comfortable dealing with this seller. We have a ‘11 regular cab F350 Tiger auto, and I’d love it if ours had all of the great mods this one does. Price seems reasonable, all in all, too. This should have sold by now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven