2010 Tacoma TRD Off-Road... Thinnest tire I can run on stock wheels?

bcrez

Adventurer
Hey everyone,

What is the thinnest tire I can run on the stock TRD off-road wheels? I run 265/75/R16 dura-tracs that need replacing. They are wide and my truck is light. This makes for poor performance on pretty much anything but sand. So, I want thinner tires but I dont want to replace the wheels. Is this even possible?

Insight needed.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Sure, there is usually quite a range of tire sizes you can put on any said wheel.

You could also go with a 215/85R16 if you didn't want to go as tall as the 235/85R16.
Another option is the 245/75R16. It's shorter and narrower.

265/75R16 (your current size) About 8" tread width, 31.7" diameter

235/85R16 7" tread width, 31.9" diameter
215/85R16 6.1" tread width 30.4" diameter
245/75R16 7.6" tread width, 30.5" diameter

These figures do vary some depending on the tire.

I prefer the way trucks drive on narrow tires as well.

Last edited:

downhill

Adventurer
Hey everyone,

What is the thinnest tire I can run on the stock TRD off-road wheels? I run 265/75/R16 dura-tracs that need replacing. They are wide and my truck is light. This makes for poor performance on pretty much anything but sand. So, I want thinner tires but I dont want to replace the wheels. Is this even possible?

Insight needed.

the 235/85 will match your existing height and is a great choice. You could also go to 225/85 and lose maybe 3/4" of height. I've tried both and I like the 235 best. For one thing, you have lots of choices in that size. The 225's start to look really small and they compromise your clearance. I would not mount anything less than a 225 on a stock wheel. Even 225 was pushing it IMO. The 235's run nicely on the stock width wheel.

bcrez

Adventurer
the truck has a 2.5" OME so I don't want to go any smaller than 31" I have never run 7" tires. Seems pretty skinny. How do they ride on road? Gas mileage up or down? Pics? They do make the dura-trac in a 235/85. I'm seriously considering it.

downhill

Adventurer
the truck has a 2.5" OME so I don't want to go any smaller than 31" I have never run 7" tires. Seems pretty skinny. How do they ride on road? Gas mileage up or down? Pics? They do make the dura-trac in a 235/85. I'm seriously considering it.

They ride great on road and steer great too. IMO they are great offroad for the things I do. I consider them the perfect tire for this truck.

Cytocycle

Observer
you can also go to 255/85/16 at 33.4-33.6" tall if you want more clearance.
This size does tend to be heavier affects intown gas mileage but highway is about the same or better do to being in the fat of the torque curve.
I run aggressive Toyo MT 255/85/15 at 33.6" tall, or you can do BFG KM2's at 33.4" tall, there are some other AT style brands in that size also that will be lighter.

p nut

butter
My only experience is with 235/85/16's. There is no difference in MPG (compared to 265/75/16's). There is no advantage off-road. Actually, off-camber manuvers were much worse with 235's vs 265's, as I slid a lot more. On road performances weren't that great, either. Just my personal experience. Both tires were BFG KO's. Only advantage of 235's was the price.

bcrez

Adventurer
I pulled the trigger on 235/85's. For what Im doing I think the performance in the wet and on packed snow/ice will be more positive than negative. Off-camber I think I can handle. THe Dura-tracs are pretty great tires with aggressive sidewalls. I should be OK. Also got the new TJM bumper and OME 2.5" Everything gets here next wednesday. Hopefully installed by Sunday night. We'll see.
tjm010-2-450.jpg

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Good choice on the tire size you'll love em, and they will look good with the mods your doing too! Can't wait to see the TJM mounted up. Keep us posted!:sombrero:

downhill

Adventurer
I pulled the trigger on 235/85's. For what Im doing I think the performance in the wet and on packed snow/ice will be more positive than negative. Off-camber I think I can handle. THe Dura-tracs are pretty great tires with aggressive sidewalls. I should be OK. Also got the new TJM bumper and OME 2.5" Everything gets here next wednesday. Hopefully installed by Sunday night. We'll see.
View attachment 127832

Looking forward to seeing it too! Of course the performance has to do with which model tire you run as well as size, but mine have been amazing. Water/snow/ice all excellent. The biggest surprise for me was a spring/summer I spent in the Wyoming back country. Even the maintained county roads become impassable during heavy rain due to bentonite mud. Like driving in sticky grease. After one bad stretch of weather the county / ranch road was completely closed, but a few guys still tried to get through. They all failed, including trucks with big mud tires. For the hell of it, I decided to see how far I could get. I ended up passing all the disaster spots where the others bogged and stuck, or went off the road. The only vehicle that made it farther down that road than me was a fourwheeler. I only turned around when I came to a steep incline that I was pretty sure I wouldn't make. That was at 18psi and ARBs at both ends. The biggest problems I had were created by the mess left by the other trucks. It took $18 worth of quarters at the car wash to wash the mud off my truck! It was way more than I expected those little tires to do. Most of the ranchers out there ran chains on their trucks till the summer dried things out. I never put mine on.

One advantage to skinny tires that I realized that summer, was that it was much easier to maintain directional control of the vehicle. You could maintain a lot more momentum without losing control and heading for the ditch. That fact alone got me through some spots where others lost it. I could carry much more speed through a corner than they could. I'm not saying these are the end all in tire size, but they are better than might be obvious.

OkieRunner

I just don't get the skinny tire thing, you all must not like turning at more than 3mph. I think 265s are skinny.

here comes the flaming....

STREGA

Explorer
I just don't get the skinny tire thing, you all must not like turning at more than 3mph. I think 265s are skinny.

here comes the flaming....

I don't get the wide tire thing either, I feel that 265's start to look to wide :elkgrin:. The extra cost of wide tires, wear and tear on suspension/steering componets and not to mention the added weight was not justafiable for me. I settled on 255's, not to skinny or to wide and will go with this size again.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
the 235/85 will match your existing height and is a great choice. You could also go to 225/85 and lose maybe 3/4" of height. I've tried both and I like the 235 best. For one thing, you have lots of choices in that size. The 225's start to look really small and they compromise your clearance. I would not mount anything less than a 225 on a stock wheel. Even 225 was pushing it IMO. The 235's run nicely on the stock width wheel.

I was unaware that 225 85 R16 was an existing tire size? Was this a typo meant to be 215 85?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77