2011 F150 engine choices

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Ford entered two F150 Raptor pickups with Ecoboost V6 engines in this year's Baja 1000. Both suffered a variety of failures, none related to the engine. Mechanical issues included wheel bearing failure, driveshaft support bearing failure, shock failure, spindle failure, and a holed radiator.

One Raptor officially finished the race in 38 hours, 20 minutes. I expect we'll see commercials bragging about this shortly. The other truck was a few miles from the finish line when the time limit set by the organizers expired.

I thought Ford entered 1 Ecoboost Raptor driven by McCarthy.
Did Ford have a B-team Raptor?

Mongo Racing built and entered a regular F150 XL Ecoboost driven by Merrit.

WildBill

Observer
if it's the same boosted V6 in the SHO taurus they recently came out with im not very impressed with it. if i was you i would find a 5.4 2V if they still make them or the 6 liter they produce now would be kick butt. i love those in the f250s!!

x32792

Adventurer
3.4L in February

Just had an online chat with my local Ford dealer who advises me the 3.4L will be out in February.

With a little taller tire, 4x4, rear lockers and what 'reads' to be a very nice motor, this could be an interesting Adventure Tour rig.

I live in hope.

John

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
an impressive quote from autoblog.com
I hope the Ecoboost lives up to the hype.

"this particular 3.5-liter V6 engine entered the cross-country rally with the equivalent of 10 years of abuse on the clock. The very same lump went through extensive endurance testing at the Cleveland Engine Plant before being bolted into an F-150 that was used as a log skidder in Oregon.

Finally, the same engine drove around a NASCAR track at full speed while towing 11,300 pounds. Ford then unbolted the engine and plopped it into the race machine you see above – bone stock and without so much as a rebuild. With 365 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque, the EcoBoost was more than powerful enough to pull the Baja F-150 across the line."

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Safe to assume the turbo motor will run high octane gas. Which negates a great mpg.

according to some reading...

Compression ratio (x:1) 10.0:1
Horsepower (hp @ rpm) 365 @ 5,000
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm) 420 @ 2,500
Fuel type 87-octane recommended

I think they ran Baja on 87 octane... according to Ford publicity, they did all their testing on 87 octane.

Even if 87 knocks their "20% more efficient than the 5.4" claim, it still is much more fuel efficent with more torque and hp.

Outdoorsben

Observer
according to some reading...

Compression ratio (x:1) 10.0:1
Horsepower (hp @ rpm) 365 @ 5,000
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm) 420 @ 2,500
Fuel type 87-octane recommended

I think they ran Baja on 87 octane... according to Ford publicity, they did all their testing on 87 octane.

Even if 87 knocks their "20% more efficient than the 5.4" claim, it still is much more fuel efficent with more torque and hp.
Interesting......

haven

Expedition Leader
Ford has released the expected commercial chronicling the Ecoboost engine's participation in the Baja 1000

The commercial glosses over some of the problems the team experienced, but none of them were related to the engine. About 1/3 of the entries fail to finish the race, so making it to the finish line in 38 hours is an accomplishment.

Pickuptrucks.com has a synopsis of the race team's problems here
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/11/fords-ecoboost-race-trucks-complete-the-baja-1000.html

Steve Draper is one of the crew members for Mongo Racing Team, the group that prepared the Ecoboost race trucks. Steve's comment on Pickuptrucks.com speaks volumes: "After racing with the Eco Boost and watching all these torture tests, my wife and I are getting a new F-150 with 3.5l as soon as they are available."
Posted by: Draper | Dec 23, 2010 3:39:21 AM in the comments section of this web page
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/12/video-ford-f-150-ecoboost-race-truck-hits-the-baja-1000.html

haven

Expedition Leader
The EPA has released its estimate of mpg for the F150 with Ecoboost V6 and 2WD: 16 city, 22 highway. Subtract one mpg for 4x4.

That's not bad for a truck with 365-hp and 420-ft-lbs. The F150 with Ecoboost motor is rated by Ford to have a cargo capacity of 3,060 lbs, and an 11,300 lb towing capacity, the same as the F150 with V8.

That's the good news. The bad news is that Ford's F150 with 5.0L V8 is EPA-rated at 15 city, 21 highway, and costs $750 less. You can buy a lot of gas for $750.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/0...nomy-figures-for-2011-f-150-ecoboost-v-6.html

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Those numbers are good enough for me, a very impressive "half ton" (the 'ton' names mean nothing these days). Great torque and power, reasonable MPG (I bet I can beat the EPA's numbers), and a huge 3/4 ton payload. If the quality and reliability is there I think Ford might have just built their own light-duty diesel to replace the International V6 oil burner that was planned years ago.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I put about 80 miles on one of our company's 2011 F250 crew cab short bed pickups with the 6.2 last Wednesday. Impressive! Seat-of-the-pants observation is that it will eat up any of our V-10s.

haven

Expedition Leader
Mike Levine at Pickuptrucks.com has tested the F150 4x4 with 5.0L V8, and came away very impressed. Read the review here
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/02/road-test-review-2011-ford-f-150-xlt-50-liter-v-8.html

The EPA fuel economy estimate for the 5.0L V8 in the 4x4 chassis is 14 mpg city, 19 highway. Power at the flywheel is 360 hp, 380 ft-lbs of torque on regular gas.

The 3.5L Ecoboost turbo V6 4x4 rating is 15 mpg city, 21 highway. Power is 365 hp, 425 ft-lbs on regular gas. So you get more torque, a broader torque curve and better fuel economy if you buy the V6. But the turbo motor costs $750 more than the conventional V8.

Decisions, decisions.

D

Deleted member 9101

I wonder how good of motor the turbo V-6 is when the truck is pushed to its limits? I wonder how effected it is my changed in grade when towing... the V-6 lacks the international rotational mass that the V-8's have.... and I know that's a handicap in a naturally aspirated motor.

Although being turbo charged means you can always get a boost controller, bigger down pipe, and a huge intercooler and really up the power out put!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3