2011 Schutt Industries LTT 1 1/2 Ton Trailer Chassis based Adventure Trailer Build

SamM

Adventurer
Testing the look of the MOPAR Winter wheels. These will see duty on my Schutt TQG trailer. They will maintain the trailer's military look and seem to be pretty rugged. These wheels have the same width and offset as my stock black MOAB Rubicon wheels.

EDIT: The 3500# Timbren units and Dexter electric brakes will go on shortly. The 1.8" Adaptit.com spacers were ordered today and the steel mounts will be fabricated sometime this week. My work schedule has been keeping me from doing that. I work 4 days one week and 3 the next. Next week, is my short week and I only have trailer progress planned. Should get some work done then. I ordered my Timbren suspension with the 4" lift spindles. The mounts could be made adjustable, so that the axle could be moved forward and back. Just a thought. The mounts are 6" high. There will be plenty of suspension clearance. The frame will be strengthened with 3.5"x.5"x4' aluminum plate. Tires are now the last pieces needed to make it a roller. Thinking about going with 265/70-17 BFG KM2 tires. The trailer will not carry a spare. I may buy (5) more Winter wheels and have a second set of wheels and tires for the Jeep. I like the look.

SamM

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

garrettw1281

SAMM

DO YOU HAVE A FINAL DRAWING OR LAYOUT OF YOUR PLAN WITH THIS TRAILER? I'M NEW TO THE SITE AS IT WAS RECOMMENDED TO ME BY A FELLOW WITH A M1101 TRAILER AFTER I PURCHASED ONE. FIRST THING THAT CAUGHT MY ATTENTION TO THIS THREAD AND ACTUALLY MADE ME SIGN UP, IS THE COMMUNITY OF THIS SITE THAT I WAS ABLE TO READ AS YOU POSTED PROGRESS OF NOT ONLY THE TRAILER BUT ALSO YOURSELF. I WAS AMAZED TO SEE EVERYONE GENUINELY CONCERNED WITH YOU AS WELL AS THE ASSISTANCE FROM MARKIMUS. BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE I'VE SEEN A FORUM THAT DOESN'T FOLLOW THE USUAL, I HAVE A LEGITIMATE QUESTION THAT IS THEN USED TO COMPARE WHO IS RIGHT VS WHO IS WRONG IN THE FOLLOWING REPLIES ALL WHILE LOSING THE ORIGINAL INTENT OF THE INITIAL QUESTION. THANK YOU FOR THE UPDATES. I'M TRYING TO DECIDE THE ROUTE FOR MY TRAILER. I WANT TO REMOVE THE SURGE SETUP AND GO WITH AN ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT HITCH AND ELECTRIC BRAKES. MY TRAILER IS NOT MANUFACTURED BY SCHUTT BUT BY RAYTHEON. I DO NOT TRULY KNOW ALL THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN A SCHUTT OR RAYTHEON OR SILVER EAGLE BESIDES THE OBVIOUS VARIANCES IN TRAILER TYPES.

AGAIN, THANK YOU FOR THE UPDATES. YOUR GIVING ME MANY GREAT VISUALS FOR IDEAS.

SamM

Adventurer
Hey Garrett,
I love this site for the same reasons. It was nice for everyone to comment about my accident and then to wish me well. The prayers are just awesome. We need more if that, in this world. Markimus' offer was great. It didn't happen, as he is very busy and I went a different direction. I do hope that he realizes that I did appreciate his offer but adding the Schutt parts would have just been too much work for me.

As for the trailer, I have no drawn up plans, if that is what you mean. I plan to add: a refrigerator, stove, propane, water tanks, hot water heater, shower, extra fuel tanks, an air compressor, electrical power, lights, solar panels, batteries, and a RTT. All the electrical equipment will go into a tongue box, the solar panel will set on top of the RTT. I'm currently looking at slides and drawers for the frig and stove. The trailer will also get a rear receiver hitch with a motorcycle rack. I'd like to design the box to use a sliding, lockable truck bed cover too. Not sure yet about the color. It might stay camo.

Some of my recently thoughts, have been to design an expandable box aluminum. The box could then be used as a shelter in the case of extreme weather. The RTT would be a sort of penthouse bedroom. I want a Maggiolina Columbus.

The M1101 is a great trailer. I looked seriously that those before I found my Schutt. Once I saw the Schutt, I had to have it. I bid $1000 and someone else went to around $990. I won it for $992. Start a thread and show us what you do with your's. I'd love to see it!

SamM

garrettw1281

Thanks for the reply SamM.

I'm interested to see how you fabricate all those items. That is a similar direction as to what I want to do. I'll definitely start a thread for the m1101 and also for the m101A2 that I am currently working on. I just welded on an adjustable height hitch to the tongue of the M101 and a removable jack. Next is mounting a 3000lb winch to pull things into the bed. the m1101 will be strictly camping. I've learned at least for myself to have a pretty solid game plan and direction for a build or it will come back and bite me when I didn't think things through. I never thought of using a sliding cover. Makes sense and allows easy access to the gear. I've read some guys talk about making sure the compartment is sealed for dust and weather either through good seals or also adding positive pressure. Is this a concern for yours? I've never owned a sliding bed cover so I don't know the weather proof capacity of them.

GW

SamM

Adventurer
Well, I've been sidetracked by a new purchase. Picked it up this morning. The good news is that the new wheel spacers for my trailer arrived today. Looks like they will work perfectly. Might get something done this weekend, if the rain stops. Celebrated with breakfast at Bob Evans.

Garrett,
Yes, dust a major concern for me. It's the reason that I added the snorkel to the Jeep. I live on a very dusty, dirt road.

SamM

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

SamM

Adventurer
The Jeep handled the load in the pictures above perfectly. There has been some concern as to what the 2-door Jeep can pull compared to the 4-door version. The tractor weighs 3000lbs and the Aluma 7712H trailer is 620lbs. The Jeep handled the load. My buddy, who was with me, commented that he was worried that the Jeep would not pull it. I was concerned that the trailer was loaded over it's capacity and would not handle the tractors weight. He said these trailers are over-built and will handle much more than the 2990lb rating. Apparently, he was right. We easily hauled it home 12 miles without an incident. Although technically illegal, as the tractor is hanging over at each end, we drove by several police officers that never gave us a second glance. Just as Brian, my buddy reported would happen. His comment was, "It's a lawn tractor! They could care less!" He was right as he does this stuff all the time. One of the reasons that I like hanging out with him.

Any concern that I had with pulling the Schutt Industries TQG trailer have gone away. I believe the MOAB will handle it just fine.

SamM

SamM

Adventurer
The Aluma aluminum trailer was purchased to haul my 1964 Lotus Seven replica to car shows, rallies and other events. Not to haul 3000lb tractors around. I may need another trailer to haul the tractor. :)

SamM

Last edited:

WVU Dodge

Picked this up today. 77" wide 12' long tilt aluminum trailer. It will be used to haul building supplies for our new house and to haul around my 1964 Lotus Seven.

SamM

View attachment 218378

I just got done reading your thread. I was wondering where you live in WV? I see this picture was taken at Middletown Tractor, I live 4 or 5 miles from there. Interesting build, I'm curious how it turns out. I've been going to Hatfield Mccoy the last few years also.

SamM

Adventurer
WVU Dodge,
I live near the little town of Fairview. Actually, I'm on the Mon County side of the Fairview area.

All of my trailer parts have arrived and I'm on vacation next week. Hope to get something done and show some progress soon. Thursday's plan is to start the fabrication of the suspension. Things keeps getting in the way of my building. There is always something else that needs done. I'm excited to get the trailer rolling again. There will need to be a lot of welding done on the frame before the box gets made. Also, building in the yard keeps me at the mercy of the weather.

SamM

SamM

Adventurer
As if I needed something else to drag me away from my trailer build. Just picked this up last Thursday. A crashed 1992 Mazda MX-5. I'll be pulling the 1.6L DOHC engine, 5-speed transmission, wiring harness and a few other selected parts to use in another garage project. Spent all of $400 on it. I'll buy these all day long at $400 a pop. She has just over 100k on the clock and purrs like a kitten. It was a great buy. Lots of parts to sell.

SamM

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

SamM

Adventurer
Sorry, that I don't have anything new to post. This build has really turned into a nightmare because of the Schutt aluminum frame. The current plan is to completely remove the center sections of the frame above the wheels on both sides. The 1.25" TeraFlex wheel adapters/spacers have been removed from my Jeep and the trailer frame will need to be narrowed 2.5" further than I originally planned, in order to match. I hate the way the Jeep drives with the adapters. Since I don't plan to run a lift or change out the stock Rubicon wheels now, the frame rails will need to come completely out. I have two sections of 3.5" flat plate 6061 that will replace the frame rails. The new frame sections will need to be welded in, which means a trip to the welding shop.

At this point, I would probably recommend staying away from the surplus Schutt Industries LQG HMMWV trailers unless you actually have a HUMVEE. When I'm finished I'll have as much as a Schutt XV-1 costs into my trailer. Not quite but it will be close. Right now, I have about $2600 in it. There will be nothing like it behind a Jeep, that's for sure.

SamM

1.8" adapters for stock MOAB/Rubicon wheels
image.jpg

Last edited:

SamM

Adventurer
Something else to keep me from working on my Schutt trailer. I just purchased a new Amish built 12'x20' garage/shed/building to use as a workshop. My car project will go into this building to help unclutter my garage. My tractor will then go into my newly uncluttered garage. Most of my tools and other junk will be stored in the new workshop as well. I plan to add insulation, electric and a small a/c unit to keep it cool, when I'm working during the heat of the day and late evenings this Summer. I've made enough room to move the trailer up to the new workshop site. I'll continue the trailer build there.

Most of my recent time has been spent getting the site ready for the new building. It's about 3 weeks from delivery and I still need to remove 4 or 5 small trees. This building is also replacing a storage unit that a buddy and I keep for motorcycle and car projects and parts. I recently sold my 1972 Triumph TR6 that was stored there. I'll include a picture of it. The TR6 has been a dream car for me. I've wanted one since I was a kid. This one needed a great deal of TLC. A friend at work bought it. The Lotus (another dream car of mine) will replace it.

Sorry, for the hijack!

SamM

image.jpg

image.jpg

Picking up the '72 TR6
image.jpg

The building will go here
image.jpg

Last edited:

SamM

Adventurer
A little more progress. Very little, though. The remaining wiring and inertia braking parts have been removed from the frame.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The frame modifications have finally been figured out. Several plans have come and gone since this build started. I think this one may actually work. Hopefully, it's strong enough. My next move is too cut the frame rails out where the Timbren suspension will be mounted. These new .5"x 3.5" 6061 aluminum plates will replace the frame rails above the wheels. This will thin the frame enough to allow me to match the track width of my stock Jeep. These plates will be bolted to the backside of the frame to help add stiffness where the outside rails will be removed. When the frame is finished, the plates will be welded into place. My hope is that this will strengthen the frame enough to make it as strong as it originally came from Schutt.

image.jpg

My Jeep MOAB tow vehicle has received new wheels. The new charcoal Rubicon wheels add much needed contrast to the black Jeep. The stock MOAB black wheels made the Jeep look to monochromatic. It was too black. The charcoal/silver wheels are also much easier to source. The trailer will get the same matching wheels. Rubicon springs, Synergy 3/4" coil spring spacers and Bilstien shocks are the next mods to the JK. The rear AEV bumper is off the Jeep for paint or Line-X coating, haven't decided which yet.

image.jpg

Thanks for looking!

SamM

Last edited:

SamM

Adventurer
My new workshop/garage arrived yesterday. A lot of my tools and parts have been transferred up there now. The trailer will get moved up there soon for the frame modifications. Today, I dropped off the rear AEV bumper for my Jeep at Line-X to be coated. The front bumper and skid plate will be next. While I was there, I talked with them about coating the bare trailer frame. They were on board for that but could not give me a quote with seeing it in person. Coating the bumpers cost me $199 each. The Line-X should provide a level of protection easily worth what I paid. The stock rock rails on my MOAB are coated with the same material. They have held up very nicely. I went with the Matte Black finish.

SamM

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

SamM

Adventurer
The 2014 Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival this weekend, has given me a new sense of urgency with my build. Seeing all the great rigs and the AT trailer from Main Line Overland has been inspirational. The MOPAR Winter wheels looked great on the AT trailer. I have some new ideas and may revisit some older thoughts. My wife was a real trooper as far as sleeping in the tent this weekend, but she now understands what I have in mind with my adventure trailer build. I'll more than likely, now have a more willing partner in the design of the new trailer after this trip. Which is a very good thing!

SamM

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Itsgreg